Important Updates: Level System (now live!) and Ratings & Reviews (testing changes)

2 minutes ago, ahunyady said:

The simple average of 10, 10, 8, 8 = 9.7?? Please enlighten me.

A simple average of all reviews.

142 reviews of 10, 30 reviews of 10, 12 reviews of 8, and 11 reviews of 8. 

This is still a simple average. A weighted average is when more weight is given to some of those, which is what is happening.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 7

Just now, ahunyady said:

You've just described a weighted average.

No, I didn't. It's the same in your gig - if you have a gig with 100 5 star reviews, 8 4 star reviews, etc. and you calculate the average, it's still a simple average, not a weighted average - and it works exactly the same way.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 6

"A weighted average is a method of computing an average where some data points contribute more than others. If all the weights of the data point are equal then the weighted average is the same as the mean."

Your mistake is that you see 4 gigs, two with 10 and two with 8, and you wrongly assume those are 4 data points. They are not. If the 2 gigs with 10 score have 100 reviews each, they are 200 data points, not 2.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 6
  • Up 3

1 minute ago, visualstudios said:

No, I didn't. It's the same in your gig - if you have a gig with 100 5 star reviews, 8 4 star reviews, etc. and you calculate the average, it's still a simple average, not a weighted average - and it works exactly the same way.

You applied weight based on the amount of ratings. A simple average would have only taken the given score for each gig without any other values

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, pixel_evo said:

Honestly, this just makes us feel down, stressed out, everything. It's like, way too much, you know? Why are they pushing us so hard?

Yes, I agree 100% with this. I work so hard on this website, well over 10 years now. It's very disheartening and depressing to me. I have a family to support, all my clients love me and yet somehow I'm at risk of losing it because of this new system.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1

13 minutes ago, ahunyady said:

Here are mine: Avg=9. Individual scores: 10(142), 10(30), 8(12), 8(11).

It's a normal average calculation (36/4 = 9)

11 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

It's not balancing out. If it was a simple average, your score would be 10, not 9.

Where do you get that his average should be 10 and not 9??? 🙄

It's a simple average calculation: The sum of all scores (36) divided by the total amount of scores to be summed up (4) ==> 36/4 = 9

• Like 9

1 minute ago, maitasun said:

Where do you get that his average should be 10 and not 9??? 🙄

It's a simple average calculation: The sum of all scores (36) divided by the total amount of scores to be summed up (4) ==> 36/4 = 9

I explained above. Those are not 4 scores - they are the number of reviews per gig times their rating. It's not 4 data points. 

• Like 4

Just now, visualstudios said:

I explained above. Those are not 4 scores - they are the number of reviews per gig times their rating. It's not 4 data points. 

The user posted his overall score, the scores he got for each gig, and also added the amount of reviews each gig had. The amount of reviews has nothing to do with the overall score. The overall score is a simple average of the gigs' scores. So, 4 gigs, 4 scores. The overall score is the sum of the 4 scores divided by 4 gigs. There's no mystery to it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, maitasun said:

The amount of reviews has nothing to do with the overall score. The overall score is a simple average of the gigs' scores. So, 4 gigs, 4 scores

This is not true though. That's the issue. The overall score is not a simple average of the gig's scores. Or it can be, depending on how you define it. If you define simple average as adding up all the reviews, and you count the score per review, then yes. 

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Kesha said:

scores will take into account ratings from the last 2 years, instead of lifetime ratings. 

@Kesha

Does it means, if we are having a gig that have negative feedback from 2 years, it will make the score for that gig bad, let say make it just have a score 1 and it will affect the other gig score too?
Don't you think 2 years is too far for having an impact to all of the other gig that perform well?

• Like 6
  • Up 3

Just now, visualstudios said:

This is not true though. That's the issue. The overall score is not a simple average of the gig's scores.

The overall score IS a simple average. What's NOT a simple average is the gig's score. There's where Fiverr takes who knows what into account.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

Just now, maitasun said:

The overall score IS a simple average.

No, it's not. Just look at some examples people have provided - they are not a simple average. Otherwise someone with 4 gigs with 10, 10, 8, 8 would be guaranteed a 9 in overall score. That's just demonstrably false.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

9 minutes ago, smartdezigns said:

We all need to read the following article on Success Score:

Link: https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/21965360854673-Success-score

Source: Fiverr Help Center > Selling on Fiverr > Statistics & seller dashboards

This is funny since all the PRO's in my vertical are charging a fraction of what we charge IRL, but even with the downward pressure this exerts on pricing, they seem determined to herd us back into the $5 sweatshop.

image.png.c9f4462d60c451b05efb88a4da75c1b6.png

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 10
  • Up 7

Just now, maitasun said:

The overall score IS a simple average. What's NOT a simple average is the gig's score. There's where Fiverr takes who knows what into account.

This is what I was thinking, but my personal score doesn't add up to the actual average.

My scores are 9, 10, 8, 10, 9, 8, 9, 10, 8 and should average out to 9, but I have a total success score of 8

I'm irritated by the entire situation. Like all other seller-plus subscribers, I pay for metrics, and now the "actual" metrics are hidden from us. How can I measure my success with these new mystery values?

None of it makes sense

• Like 5

Just now, maitasun said:

The user posted his overall score, the scores he got for each gig, and also added the amount of reviews each gig had. The amount of reviews has nothing to do with the overall score. The overall score is a simple average of the gigs' scores. So, 4 gigs, 4 scores. The overall score is the sum of the 4 scores divided by 4 gigs. There's no mystery to it.

If some people aren’t seeing a simple average of their gig scores, what’s almost certainly happening is that the individual gig scores are being weighted by # of jobs or ratings then rounded to the nearest whole number. But the average score is being derived from the [unknown to us] unrounded gig scores, then rounded.

So my scores are probably more like 9.55, 10.0, 8.0, 8.3, which produces a 9.32, which is rounded down to 9.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Kesha said:

Hi @uk1000! Thanks for your concern. The bulk of private ratings will remain private to sellers. Sellers will still not be able to see how buyers rated them. The difference is, in the new system, historical private ratings will now contribute to shaping your public rating, with the main emphasis placed on public form ratings. We'll be testing a balanced formula that considers the frequency of private rating scores and the value-for-money question alongside your public ratings.

The concept of "private rating" itself shouldn't exist. Everything we do as sellers is out there and evaluated, and we're held accountable for that, which is fair. Why should buyers be given the chance to leave a secondary, *secret* review of our work? What is even the point? No strings attached, no accountability -they could write whatever crosses their mind at that moment knowing that we won't be able to ever read it, unaware of how their words can affect us. I've had buyers who were super happy with my service during the process leave 3 or 4 stars ratings, and when asked what could I have done to improve their experience their reasons were "Sorry, I was having a bad day" and "I felt Fiverr was pushing me to leave a not perfect review". I swear this is true.  

• Like 18
  • Up 1

3 minutes ago, maitasun said:

The overall score IS a simple average.

One of my gigs has a score of 10, and another inactive gig (that I have just deactivated) has a score of 8. However, my overall success score is 10, so it's clear that it's not just a simple math average. It's all about weightage.

• Like 5
  • Up 5

1 minute ago, newsmike said:

This is funny since all the PRO's in my vertical are charging a fraction of what we charge IRL, bur even with the downward pressure this exerts on pricing, they seem determined to herd us back into the $5 sweatshop.

True. I haven't found one person charging anywhere near this for this type of work.

5rValueForMoney.png

• Like 8
  • Up 6

1 minute ago, newsmike said:

This is funny since all the PRO's in my vertical are charging a fraction of what we charge IRL, bur even with the downward pressure this exerts on pricing, they seem determined to herd us back into the $5 sweatshop.

And this is one of the key area that is determining our success score 😑

I am not happy with this additional thing "Value For Money".  

• Like 11