Welcome to "Fiverr 3.0"!

frank_d

I am not on here most of the day because of work. I apply to jobs on the request page every day. I was told to start out with $5. That is what I did and being on the last pages doesn’t get me seen very much. That has beent he way it has been for me and I do have some experience.

I agree with the things Frank said. There are people, like me for example, that work mostly on Fiverr. I am here around 12-15 hours a day, so obviously it can be hard to get traction against people that are doing this full time. That being said, you will eventually receive exposure and orders, it all comes down to being resilient.

Switching to Fiverr full time now, during the pandemic, can be hard since the number of users is doubled, tripled or even quadroupled in some categories. Yet it can still work as a side business. But you can’t expect growth and exposure similar to what Fiverr veterans have. I do wish you all the best with your side business here.

Sorry you feel that way.

• Like 26

some new unique images

Just buy yourself a dozen new jumpers on Fiverr, problem solved!

seems like I hadn’t selected anything for the Gig Metadata (which I assume is new). I didn’t even know that this was added.

Regarding metadata, once I had issues with my gig, and discovered that somehow my language pairs (which I know I had chosen …) had been “reset” to nothing. Retrospectively, I thought, the most probable reason other than a very random bug, is that it somehow happened when they made some category update. I think it makes sense to check one’s gigs at every such update to make sure that all metadata are still there/as one wants them, even if one thinks one doesn’t want to change anything when reading about the category update.

Just buy yourself a dozen new jumpers on Fiverr, problem solved!

Or each gig could have different dogs. 😉

• Like 30

Thank you Frank for putting time to do this, my question is; is this based on your experience with the marketplace or you have actual information from the “cuisine interne”?

I always tried to break down how Fiverr works and experiment with how it treats various data. Not to outsmart the system but to actually understand the real system.

Understanding that Fiverr is no longer the traditional cheap marketplace filled with amateurs and unprofessional is mandatory, for both sellers and buyers.

• Like 26

Thank you Frank for putting time to do this, my question is; is this based on your experience with the marketplace or you have actual information from the “cuisine interne”?

I always tried to break down how Fiverr works and experiment with how it treats various data. Not to outsmart the system but to actually understand the real system.

Understanding that Fiverr is no longer the traditional cheap marketplace filled with amateurs and unprofessional is mandatory, for both sellers and buyers.

is this based on your experience with the marketplace or you have actual information from the “cuisine interne”?

He said in the beginning that it’s his own set of findings. No one aside from Fiverr actually knows the algorithm, how it works and so on…

• Like 30

Hey @montaaz nice to see you on the forum !

These are all based on my personal findings.

However, that’s not to say that some of the things I posted above were not confirmed by Fiverr officials during some meetings I had with them in the past 2 months.

I can’t comment on what exactly was confirmed though.

• Like 36

@frank_d as you mentioned a tiny spark, I wanted to ask that as per in your opinion, how many orders are required to get that tiny spark? Like 5, 10, 15? Any idea regarding it? How can I know when can I expect that spark?

Capture.thumb.PNG.4692d78e944bcf90d7d20e03bd185336.PNG
Capture1250×299 18.4 KB

Though I kept everything good which you mentioned. Responded usually within 15 minutes, delivered fast also maintaining the quality, order updates were never left, delivered way before than the 12 hour notification, used time extension only once. I dont know I feel once you are down, you cant get back up on this platform. 😦
  • Like 30

Hi there @imk4all

I don’t think my observations are specific to senior accounts.

I mean sure, some of my observations obviously come from my personal experience, and I am as senior as they get. 🙂

But at the same time, I think the algorithm treats newer accounts somewhat more favorably which has been the number 1 reason why people are furious with “gig rotation”.

So everything I wrote should still apply for newer accounts, plus Fiverr is actively looking for “rising talents”, so the newer the account, the more chances a small spark could help build some momentum that may lead to the best badge you could hope to get.

🙌Let’s hear it for “Rising Talent” :star_struck:

• Like 28

The official conversion rate Fiverr allows us to see via our analytics page is the one calculated by people who visit our gig and then buy it.

My hypothesis is that there is another hidden metric that calculates how many of the buyers that contact us via the inbox, we are able to convert to customers either via custom offer or a regular purchase.

Don’t take this the wrong way, even if that hidden metric is there, it’s not one that will hurt your profile. It’s there to spot positive performance.

I get messages from people who ask for something weird all the time.

As for the spark question, yes to what @donnovan86 said.

In periods of underperformance I notice that me converting one message to a purchase, or getting that one odd order to complete fast and with a positive review is what usually turns things around for me.

My hypothesis is that there is another hidden metric that calculates how many of the buyers that contact us via the inbox, we are able to convert to customers either via custom offer or a regular purchase.

@frank_d Yikes! My first day “live” I got a message from a buyer wanting dirt cheap services…I looked him up and he had a 3.5 rating- I wondered if it was spam or something but I countered him anyway with something slightly more reasonable (but still under my published rate) and he declined. Will that go against me?

• Like 29

At the bottom of my voice over gig description, I list the things that I am not willing to do, such as “medical voice overs”, or “character acting”.

With Fiverr 3.0, am I actually advertising to customers who want these things? Am I defeating the purpose by placing them in my gig description?

• Like 29

At the bottom of my voice over gig description, I list the things that I am not willing to do, such as “medical voice overs”, or “character acting”.

With Fiverr 3.0, am I actually advertising to customers who want these things? Am I defeating the purpose by placing them in my gig description?

Possibly yes, though not only with Fiverr 3.0. Even before Fiverr 3.0, I’ve realized that putting things I don’t do in my gig description brings a few buyers who want the exact thing that I don’t do.

• Like 29

Hey Frank,

I’m curious what your thoughts are on a long time seller like myself starting a new gig to get out of a flatline rut.
Back in February, I went into out of office mode due to an emergency situation, and my impressions have been completely crashed ever since. I’m the only TRS in the video category consistently stuck on the last page, despite about 8 years of positive, very successful business.

Though I’ve been doing everything right and my performance stats are the highest they’ve ever been, I’ve been out of the algorithm heavily with hardly any new inquiries, except for a tiny wave about 2 weeks ago that lasted 5 days and fell again. (The only thing I can pin it on was receiving about 4 revisions in a 2 day period.)

Still getting regular business from returning customers with no cancellations, late deliveries or unhappy buyers to speak of, and nothing is fixing it. I’m delivering early, and responding to messages lightening fast.
I am wondering if starting a new gig would have a positive effect, or if it could hurt my stats more. Does anyone here have experience with this during a rut?

About 5 days before my mini spike, I’d updated my highest performing gigs. Wondering if that helped somehow, even though I’ve heard that also takes you out of the ranking.

Any insight on this situation would be greatly appreciated. For the first time in 8 years, I’m genuinely scared about my income, since this has cut off the dependency I was able to count on. I don’t feel entitled to the first page, but I do believe TRSs have earned their right to at least be discovered. 😦

Thanks again!

• Like 28

Hey Frank,

I’m curious what your thoughts are on a long time seller like myself starting a new gig to get out of a flatline rut.

Back in February, I went into out of office mode due to an emergency situation, and my impressions have been completely crashed ever since. I’m the only TRS in the video category consistently stuck on the last page, despite about 8 years of positive, very successful business.

Though I’ve been doing everything right and my performance stats are the highest they’ve ever been, I’ve been out of the algorithm heavily with hardly any new inquiries, except for a tiny wave about 2 weeks ago that lasted 5 days and fell again. (The only thing I can pin it on was receiving about 4 revisions in a 2 day period.)

Still getting regular business from returning customers with no cancellations, late deliveries or unhappy buyers to speak of, and nothing is fixing it. I’m delivering early, and responding to messages lightening fast.

I am wondering if starting a new gig would have a positive effect, or if it could hurt my stats more. Does anyone here have experience with this during a rut?

About 5 days before my mini spike, I’d updated my highest performing gigs. Wondering if that helped somehow, even though I’ve heard that also takes you out of the ranking.

Any insight on this situation would be greatly appreciated. For the first time in 8 years, I’m genuinely scared about my income, since this has cut off the dependency I was able to count on. I don’t feel entitled to the first page, but I do believe TRSs have earned their right to at least be discovered. 😦

Thanks again!

Exaclty the same issue I am also a TRS I did everything but nothing change, No bad feedback,no cancellation,no late delivery all my stats top notch but since few months my whole account deranked and huge drops on sells as well.

We really work hard to earn TRS and then fiverr changes everything and we are behind the wall.

Fiverr should fix this issue or I think there will be a timeline for the rotations of the gigs or something that the experience and the new sellers both successfully run there business here.

• Like 28

Hey Frank,

Thanks again!

I put up a new gig this week and had an order the next day, so it may be helpful. :thinking:

• Like 28

Hey everyone!

A disclaimer: The following post/article is not an official Fiverr statement. It’s a summary of my personal observations over how Fiverr works and I am sharing because I noticed that more and more sellers come here, stating that they “lost their ranking”.

This is my effort to provide them with some answers and some food for thought.

Hold up. Fiverr 3.0?

If Fiverr’s early days (the wild wild west days) was Fiverr 1.0 and we count the facelift in 2014 (I think?) as v2.0, then we quietly got v3.0 late last year.

Without an official announcement, without much fanfare, the website slowly rolled out a back end update which seems to have concluded late last year.

How do I know this?

This is a good time to remind you to read my disclaimer.

I have no way of actually knowing anything, no one from Fiverr shared insights with me either. This is just a gut feeling and tons of personal observation, from a seller obsessed with performance. (and figuring out how things work)

Ranking is no more

I started hinting about this mid-2020, then started actively talking about it.

Talking about ranking is moot, as there are no more results pages. Well technically there are, but you’ll see what I mean in a minute.

Fiverr transitioned from being a search engine like Google to being a match making service like Tinder.

It no longer serves users (buyers) with pages filled with search results, ranked according to how well they are “performing”.

Fiverr also no longer counts on buyers clicking on verticals to find what they need.

It’s all about the search function.

Fiverr’s new engine tries to match a buyer with a potential seller that will be as close to a 100% ideal match as possible, as soon as possible.

A great match is when:

A) a seller offers something relative to what the buyer is searching for

and

B) a seller has great “performance”

It’s all about reducing risk for Fiverr.

Risk that the buyer won’t find someone to hire and therefore won’t spent their money.

Or risk that the buyer will not get a great service and ask for a refund, never to return again on the platform.

What is this “performance” you keep going on about?

Here comes the good stuff.

There are two kinds of performance that Fiverr keeps track of:

A) performance as a seller (converting prospects into buyers)

B) performance as a vendor (satisfying buyers, successfully completing orders)

THAT’S IT.

Fiverr doesn’t care if you are the best designer, video editor, animator, writer, what have you.

All it cares is that you can make people spend and then making sure that said people don’t ask their money back. (And therefore stay on the platform to spend some more)

I am oversimplifying things, as the system actually keeps track of a bunch of interesting metrics when serving buyers with sellers.

Which is why searching for your gig, or your competition on Fiverr, even using incognito or clearing cookies and what not, will NEVER show you anything useful.

The new engine qualifies buyers and knows a lot about them, before serving your gig their way:

-their purchase intent

-buying history

-browsing habits (I mean on site)

-how they respond to custom offers

-when they spend

-how they spend

The list is long, and I am sure that even if I am right on some of the stuff I think I understand, there are hundreds more variables that only Fiverr’s coders know.

OK, let’s say you are right. What now?

Well just like every change in life, it is always met with resistance.

The new “engine” is here to stay apparently, since its sole purpose is making the platform more money.

What should we do?

Why are people losing their “rankings” out of the blue?

This is where I will try to sound less like a lunatic and actually try to form all the observations into some -hopefully- actionable advice.

When people start noticing that their gigs are losing impressions, or that messages stop coming in, etc, it’s usually because their performance has deteriorated.

They dropped the ball somehow.

I know it always seems like it’s out of the blue, but there are indicators.

Here are some things to keep in mind.

The new system values speed and relevance over anything else.

It’s all RELEVANT: (performance A)

So performance A (being a good closer) has everything to do with how your gig is set up.

If you still think about SEO, and keywords, and ranking, you already lost the game.

Focus on your gig’s title, don’t try to capture everyone, don’t use pretty adjectives, focus on who you want to find your gig.

You need to be focused on your niche.

Relevance is key. You need to make sure that only the people you can help will find you, and that will make Fiverr LOVE your gig.

Don’t use the same keywords as what you used as a gig title. Trust me.

Fiverr 3.0 hates that.

Your tags need to be complimentary to your title. Not repeating what you say you will do.

Again: relevance.

If your gig’s description is written with “SEO” in mind, and is “keyword-rich”, you will once again underperform. Fiverr 3.0 no longer crawls for keywords, it rewards descriptions that answer questions and help convert.

The need for SPEED: (performance B)

Fiverr 3.0 loves speed.

The quicker you can respond to inquiries the better.

The sooner you get that custom offer accepted, the better.

Other factors that may show Fiverr you are rocking it:

-Delivering fast

-Buyers accepting their delivery relatively quickly

-Not getting lots of revision requests

-Not leaving order updates unanswered for too long (the “buyer has posted an update for X amount of hours” notification)

-Delivering before the “you have 12 hours to deliver” notification

-Avoiding cancellations

-Avoiding time extensions

Oh, one more thing:

Relevance and speed are just two faces of a multi-faced die, that calculates one very important thing.

Fiverr 3.0 is all about having satisfied buyers.

The platform no longer just focuses on making revenue and having gigs purchased.

The updated engine focuses solely on having happy buyers.

Which leads me to my last point for this article, to whoever wants to hear it:

Your reviews no longer matter as much. You can keep getting all 5-star reviews, and you will still experience lulls and droughts.

Because the system no longer takes public reviews into consideration, using the same weight as Fiverr 2.0.

They still count, but not as much.

And can you blame them? The majority of sellers on the platform can be phoning it in and still get a higher than 4.7 average.

The system has too many 5-star sellers for that metric to indicate anything.

If everyone is 5-stars, then no one is 5-stars. (to paraphrase something I keep saying for TRS badges.)

So unfortunately, and maybe even people gaming the system with fake reviews had something to do with this, public reviews no longer mean as much to the platform, when it calculates how happy our buyers are.

It’s a long and complex formula, but I simplified it to this for now:

Performance A + Performance B + Buyer satisfaction = Actual seller rating

I still think that “gig rotation” is not a thing. It does exist, but it would never tank successful sellers and truly valuable gigs.

So to sum up:

-When you search for your gig and find it, that’s a skewed POV, that’s not telling you the whole story. You should stop doing that.

-When your gig is served to buyers, it’s because Fiverr actually believes you can score.

-The gigs that are also presented along your offering, are also very carefully selected based on their performance. There is no “ranking”.

-When you notice a drop in sales/enquiries/impressions, start thinking about your overall performance. More often than not, there is definitely some indicator that “told” Fiverr that you were dropping the proverbial ball.

The bad news is that this will take some getting used to and sellers are once again asked to either adapt or “perish”.

The good news is that this new system is actually a lot more forgiving than the old “SEO/rank” system. Even if you drop the ball performance wise, all it takes is just a tiny spark to get things going again.

As I write this, and gave it a quick read I understand that I may have oversimplified things, or that I haven’t spelled it out as much as I could.

Please forgive me, as I have a birthday cake to attend to. 🙂

As always I will be here to answer any questions and discuss things in detail with you all.

Thank you!

I am getting sick of students asking me to do their school work. 🤨

Lately, I have had an average of two “do my homework for me” requests per day. And if 3.0 does not like it when a seller does not convert prospects into buyers that is harmful to my account! :roll_eyes:

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Lately, I have had an average of two “do my homework for me” requests per day. And if 3.0 does not like it when a seller does not convert prospects into buyers that is harmful to my account! :roll_eyes:

I’m left thinking of all the sellers without scruples who don’t have a single care performing academic work and are potentially being rewarded for their high conversion rate…

This is not an issue exclusive to just writers and tutors. I’ll very likely get dinged for not wanting to perform a script that violates my own personal standards, but there are other sellers who’ll say and do anything, even if it violates Fiverr TOS or community standards, and likely get away with it.

• Like 31

Hey Frank,

Thanks again!

About 5 days before my mini spike, I’d updated my highest performing gigs.

That might be an issue.

For the first time in 8 years, I’m genuinely scared about my income, since this has cut off the dependency I was able to count on

I’ve been on Fiverr for 7 years, so close to your tenure. I always say… don’t rely on a single source of online income. It can crash and burn very fast.

Fiverr tracks the last 60 days, so they still include your time off, that might be what’s keeping you out of the loop.

I had health issues in late October/Early November, I was removed from search for 2 months until mid-January, so it does take a while for things to get back on track.

• Like 28

About 5 days before my mini spike, I’d updated my highest performing gigs.

That might be an issue.

For the first time in 8 years, I’m genuinely scared about my income, since this has cut off the dependency I was able to count on

I’ve been on Fiverr for 7 years, so close to your tenure. I always say… don’t rely on a single source of online income. It can crash and burn very fast.

Fiverr tracks the last 60 days, so they still include your time off, that might be what’s keeping you out of the loop.

I had health issues in late October/Early November, I was removed from search for 2 months until mid-January, so it does take a while for things to get back on track.

That’s very good to know, thanks. I’m definitely keeping my eyes open to any potential changes once the time off is out of my 60-day period. I’ve been following these threads over the past month. My husband and I run the business together, though I work full time outside of Fiverr. Currently writing this on my lunch break. 😝 He, however, is a freelancer full time. We don’t put all our eggs in one basket by any means, though we’ve come to count on Fiverr as a full secondary income, and he stopped putting as much focus into other side ventures due to the success we found here. We are now having to revisit other avenues out of precaution. I definitely recommend everyone do more than one thing if possible, so I second that idea for anyone else following along.

The interesting thing was that updating my gig was the only thing that resulted in a spike so far. But after this drop, I’ve been trying not to touch anything and just perform well.

Though I’m interested if starting a new gig could make a difference. :thinking:

(Hopefully my replies are going to the right place. I’ve been a lurker for some time now and not very savvy at writing in forums.)

• Like 30

I have had an average of two “do my homework for me” requests per day. And if 3.0 does not like it when a seller does not convert prospects into buyers that is harmful to my account!

This is not an issue exclusive to just writers and tutors

I had an inquiry for a 90 day SEO plan today.

They wanted it to be max 2 pages, within 3 days max.

I queried both of the requirements as it sounds very assignment-y to me.

After querying and then directly asking if it was an assignment, they said it wasn’t but then disappeared. These types of requests can be for almost any service so it’s important that people are watching out for unusual and specific requirements like the above.

Oh, and it was at 2am their time - exactly the time when a student struggling with an assignment would go looking for an easy way out.

• Like 32

Since reading multiple threads about this I’ve updated my picture/description/tags on my most successful Gig and I’ve gotten a Maximum of 2 impressions per day (down from 70+), no orders or messages a day since March 13th.

Mod Note: Gig link removed. :roll_eyes:

• Like 26

So are you telling me that different customers see the gigs in a different order?

So say one buyer searches, they will see different rankings than another buyer?

I check my gig from another computer in incognito and my gig is still ranked in the same place…

I check my gig from another computer in incognito and my gig is still ranked in the same place…

Because you have the same IP

• Like 28

So different buyers see different results?

This is bad fiverr is my only source of income.

As you can see above I got different results when I searched using the same terms as others and got different results.

I think who sees what is tied to the level of the person searching. Business buyers and VID buyers are given different search results than the average buyer or other sellers get.

• Like 26

This is bad fiverr is my only source of income.

Don’t keep all eggs in a single basket. Diversify.

And of course every buyer sees different stuff. That’s because they need different things. I am a writer, in my case someone wants an article about traveling, another person wants an article about cooking. They can use filters to narrow down categories, where the writer lives, the amount of money they want to spend and so on. Obviously some buyers will have way different results when compared to others.

That’s what Fiverr 3.0 is all about. Catering to the buyer requirements and narrowing down what they really need. As Frank said, it’s all about being specific. A lot of buyers will just use filters to narrow down the stuff they want, and if your gigs are not properly updated and adjusted to suit your target audience, then you will lose potential clients.

• Like 26

Don’t keep all eggs in a single basket. Diversify.

And of course every buyer sees different stuff. That’s because they need different things. I am a writer, in my case someone wants an article about traveling, another person wants an article about cooking. They can use filters to narrow down categories, where the writer lives, the amount of money they want to spend and so on. Obviously some buyers will have way different results when compared to others.

That’s what Fiverr 3.0 is all about. Catering to the buyer requirements and narrowing down what they really need. As Frank said, it’s all about being specific. A lot of buyers will just use filters to narrow down the stuff they want, and if your gigs are not properly updated and adjusted to suit your target audience, then you will lose potential clients.

All sellers will see a huge drop income because of this. How can they expect us to continue working on the platform if we can’t afford to pay our bills.

• Like 27