Tipping

chknfoot_sammy

This may be unpopular, but it needs to be out here.
Tipping is only a thing in the USA where waiters, and waitresses, are not paid a living wage for some reason.
That should change. It isn't normal, or customary. 
What is the idea of after being paid for a service, to stick your hand out, and ask for more for the service you just charged for?
I know it is Fiverr, and not the artists.
I don't know which country Fiverr is based out of, but this tip thing should be taken off.

• Like 29
  • Sad 3

54 minutes ago, chknfoot_sammy said:

What is the idea of after being paid for a service, to stick your hand out, and ask for more for the service you just charged for?

When I was in the US I was really confused by why the waitress checked on us every five minutes - if that happened here in Hungary (other than in, say a hotpot or KBBQ restaurant where you kinda need the staff's help from time to time) I probably would feel bothered... However, I'd understand since this is how they make money.

That being said, in my eyes, restaurants aren't the same as online services (not completely, at least.) I personally, I always felt like Fiverr saying 'it is customary to leave a tip' (when it is absolutely not!) to be...emotionally manipulative for the above reasons. People from cultures where tipping is part of life (and culture) might think that we are being underpaid (and not seeing our own prices, etc. Fiverr does take a cut, but for all they know, it could be much bigger!). 

However, some sellers end up charging far too little - which then makes it 'normal' that they might ask for some extra (I'd never do it but I'm pretty certain I've heard/seen it happen) - which can make it...awkward to say no to (I can ignore Fiverr's notice, but if someone flat out asked me to AND they actually did a good job... I'd probably tip out of pressure haha). 

My point is, the system is flawed (and unnecessarily pushy) but I don't think it should be removed, just...should be a little less in-your-face I suppose.

• Like 26

1 hour ago, chknfoot_sammy said:

Tipping is only a thing in the USA

Tipping exists in other countries, too, especially when the service is great or someone goes the extra mile to help.

I don't know which country Fiverr is based out of,

Israel. They have headquarters in the USA, too.

this tip thing should be taken off.

Considering that it's extra money for Fiverr (they take 20% off of tips, too), I doubt they'll remove that feature.

• Like 18

Tipping was a feature requested over and over and over again, not only by sellers, but by buyers, too. Before we had the tipping feature buyers frequently asked sellers how they could give them more money. Sellers had to set up custom gigs for tipping and then you had to do a new delivery and it was messy.

It's silly to say that because something is only customary in some parts of the world that it should be removed. The wording could maybe be improved, maybe, to let people know it's totally optional. Personally, I never *expect* a tip and I set my prices high enough that when customers don't leave tips I'm perfectly happy, and still glad they worked with me and happy to work with them again.

For the record when I buy on Fiverr, I usually don't tip, because I know it's optional and buyers should already be setting their prices high and I usually have a tight budget to begin with. When I eat at a restaurant I tip a lot. Different environments. I know how badly the waitress needs their tip - so I figure that in when I set my budget for my food.

BUT I've had customers be so happy with my work that the double the amount of money they are paying me. No way in hell would I want that ability to be taken away. Maybe the solution would be for sellers to be able to turn this feature off if they didn't want it.

If you're a buyer who dislikes it, just disregard it. Sellers know it's 100% optional. If anybody ever tries to make you feel bad for not tipping, report them.

Edited by rachelbostwick
  • Like 21
  • Up 2

3 hours ago, chknfoot_sammy said:

Tipping is only a thing in the USA where waiters, and waitresses, are not paid a living wage for some reason.
I don't know which country Fiverr is based out of, but this tip thing should be taken off.

Tipping is not only a thing in the USA, I live in the UK and have lived in various places all over the world and every country has different customs when it comes to tipping.
Yes, I agree that in countries like the US people should be paid a livable wage without the need for leaving a tip. However, that doesn't mean that tipping should just not exist at all. No one should feel obliged to tip. If you simply do not want to do, or feel like the service did not deserve a tip, don't tip.
I like to tip to show my appreciation of the service I've received. I tip my barber, servers in hospitality, other freelancers who've performed a service for me. Basically, if I think they've done a good job, I like to show my appreciation.
On the flip side, as a seller and someone who accepts tips, I never, ever expect a tip from anyone. I especially would never ask for a tip from a buyer. If I do get one, I really, really appreciate it and feel like the person leaving the tip is showing the same appreciation I leave others when I tip. If they don't tip, and leave a great review, I also feel a sense of appreciation. It's just one way of showing that appreciation to someone.
You're not 'sticking your hand out and asking for more' just because the facility to leave a tip exists. If you don't want to tip or don't believe in the concept, simply don't tip. It's your prerogative.

• Like 17
  • Confused 1
  • Up 2

I travel a lot, and I can say - it's ok for almost all countries. More than that - in some countries tips are included in your check and even if you wasn't happy with the service, you have to pay.

Honestly, I don't see anything negative in Tips - it's a compliment for a great service. I mean, why not?

When I was a buyer on Fiverr, I paid tips few times, because I was more than 100% satisfied with the result, when I am a seller, I always happy to get tips and this is not only about the money - It's a kind of recognition of your skills

• Like 22

I like the idea of tipping if the seller does exceptional work. I typically use level one sellers, because they cost less. I also know the work may not be as good as higher-level sellers. However, if the work performed exceeds my expectations I would like to pay the seller more for their skills and effort. One complaint I have is that Fiverr charges a service fee for tips. I wanted to leave a $5 USD tip and the service fee was $2.28 USD. That is nearly a 50% markup. It discourages me to make a tip, when the buyer only gets two-thirds of the money I pay in the tip.

Edited by atomicprintco
spelling error
  • Like 14

43 minutes ago, atomicprintco said:

I like the idea of tipping if the seller does exceptional work. I typically use level one sellers, because they cost less. I also know the work may not be as good as higher-level sellers. However, if the work performed exceeds my expectations I would like to pay the seller more for their skills and effort. One complaint I have is that Fiverr charges a service fee for tips. I wanted to leave a $5 USD tip and the service fee was $2.28 USD. That is nearly a 50% markup. It discourages me to make a tip, when the buyer only gets two-thirds of the money I pay in the tip.

The service fee concept is actually pretty grim thinking about it.
Imagine that you're tipping the waiting staff at an establishment and the business owner is keeping a percentage of the tips. There would be uproar! Tips are also liable to be taxed after Fiverr takes their percentage off them too, leaving an even smaller percentage going to the seller.
As much as I tip in day to day life, if I was a buyer on Fiverr and found out that only 50% of my tip was going to the person who's service I wanted to show appreciation for, it would really put me off and annoy me that the platform is taking what I wanted to go to the seller directly.

• Like 13

On 9/28/2021 at 10:07 AM, joshnadin said:

I tip my barber, servers in hospitality

Anyone who doesn't tip their barber, hair stylist, nail technician, waiter/waitress, in the US is asking for trouble lol. I even tip the cab/uber/lyft drivers that get me to my destination safe and on time.

I work full-time as a concierge for a condominium and every Christmas season I see like $4000-$5000 in holiday tips. I been working in this position for 9 years but my first year at the building blew my mind.

• Like 11
  • Congrats! 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, chknfoot_sammy said:

Its not true. Tipping is very common in europe aswell. In restaurants, bars, clubs.

When I have been tipped here on Fiverr, then it was from european clients.

Generally, I think tipping is becoming exctinct. I have been talking to a bartender in sweden, where they pay everything with card. (even one beer in a pub) and he said, that since he started bartending a few years ago, the people started to give less and less tips. And by now, nobody tips at all.

I think its a courtesy to do so. Its just polited and respectful to give someone who provides a service for you some extra money. Not even when it was an extraordinary service, but just the service in it self should be appreciated.

Edited by finndev478
  • Like 13

13 minutes ago, j6nyc6 said:

Anyone who doesn't tip their barber, hair stylist, nail technician, waiter/waitress, in the US is asking for trouble lol.

Yeah, I really don't like the tipping system in the U.S.
Feeling obliged to tip also puts me off wanting to tip. When I've visited America before and ate at places I've even felt quite anxious about the whole tipping situation. Not that I don't want to leave one if I've had a good experience. But worrying about how much is not enough, how much is too much, and just the general practice is a headache. In contrast, when I visited Japan I found out that tipping is seen as disrespectful and you shouldn't offer to tip!

I think as a good baseline, people and business should just charge enough to make as much profit as they want, and pay themselves and/or their staff a good livable wage. Then if your customers really like what you offer and want to show appreciation, they can go ahead and leave you a tip.

Edited by joshnadin
  • Like 12

As a US citizen, tipping is an ingrained practice. We are taught to do it as children. It really shocked me when I learned it is NOT customary to tip in Canada. This is because of the GST tax. Thats Goods and Services Tax. That is like forced tipping. A tax that is added to well goods and services like a restaurant or bar. or car repair. And in Europe there is the VAT or Value Added Tax. Also a kind of forced tipping. but the government takes their cut.

So the question arises do I tip or not? With all these different rules in various places that choice is difficult to make. When in the U.S. I try to tip for good service, because that is the custom. But for other places I ask 'what is your custom for tipping?' It is okay to ask this question. Which is what Fiverr is doing when they ask the buyer to leave a tip. With so many different opinions and practices, which is best? If you don't know, ask.

Hope this helps

Tim

• Like 10

Unlike when I first started to buy on 5r, most sellers charge what they are worth so tipping is less common than before.

I used to be able to leave a small tip like $5 or $10 & it cost me that. Now for every $5 tip, I have to pay $7.28. The $2.28 in buyer's fee doesn't seem much, but if you are running a business and tip every seller, that could be as high as $228.00 just in buyer's transaction fees.

When I do tip on a tried and true sellers, I do so up front. I order an extra $10 to whatever amount at the beginning and write something like, "For the amazing work that I already know you will do." I never demand any special treatment or discount, so my regular freelancers know, it's just an extra $ to show my appreciation.

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, timothykoen said:

That is like forced tipping. A tax that is added to well goods and services like a restaurant or bar. or car repair. And in Europe there is the VAT or Value Added Tax. Also a kind of forced tipping. but the government takes their cut.

I think it's a misconception that here in Europe VAT is is a kind of 'forced tipping'.
Value Added Tax is as it states on the tin. Tax. Not a tip..
The full amount goes to the government, not the place where you bought your product or service or the person giving it to you. Unlike the States, all prices quoted are also VAT inclusive, meaning that when you go to the checkout the price stated is the price you will pay. It baffled me in the U.S that prices on items do not include sales tax, and the tax even varies from state to state.

Here in Europe, we also have laws to protect all workers ensuring that everyone is paid a minimum, livable wage, regardless of what their job is. That means that everyone is able to earn enough every month to make ends meet comfortably without having to worry about getting tips or not. I think it is much better as people in industries like customer service don't have to worry about their customers tipping or not and rely on tips to get by, and consumers don't feel obliged to tip, but they still can if they want to show appreciation.

• Like 11

In Japan, tips don't exist.

I'll be honest, I hate tipping. From a Japanese POV, we pay for the food, and that's it.
I know that people will say "if the service is good we should tip," but in Japan that makes no sense because as a customer you are SUPPOSED to get
decent service anyway. Sorry if we sound mean, but that's just the way it is. It's not that we treat waitresses etc like trash or anything, it's something that simply does not exist.
One time a friend of mine asked me:
"So at table A, a customer orders a cake and coffee. At table B, another guy orders a glass of wine and steak. Same number of items, only the guy at table B orders more expensive stuff. But again, the number of items that were ordered were the same, yet the tip at table B will be higher because the food was expensive. This makes no sense, it's the same number of items, same amount of work. (OK, maybe the steak plate might be heavier than the cake)
Why do I need to tip more for the wine/steak?"

Just to be clear, my friend is not stingy. He just wants an explanation that makes sense.
The whole "waiters need them" is not enough for him, because from what he sees, he is paying extra already, and the waiter should be happy for getting 3 dollars extra. Again, I see his point. Plus Japan is crazy when it comes to service, a lot of people have very high standards when it comes to service.
Again, not trying to make my people sound mean and stingy, but in their minds they are thinking "We paid, you want us to pay more?? WHY!!?? It's not like your service was overly impressive or anything. OK, here's 3 dollars. WHAT!!?? That's not enough!?? DANG you have some nerve to ask for even more when we already paid!!!"

In case you guys are wondering, even though I hate tipping, I do tip. UNLESS the service sucks.
One time this guy at a restaurant clearly ignored me and my friend at California Pizza Kitchen, and we didn't leave anything behind for that dude.

Japan is sloooooowly starting to realize that this tipping thingy exists outside the country, but most people still are not aware of it.
If a Japanese tourist doesn't leave a tip, chances are they simply didn't know.

• Like 8
  • Up 4

@zeus777

Tipping has gone out of control in the USA. The cashiers at Subway have tip jar, delivery driver's expect tip, tip for furniture movers, car wash, shoe shine, hair cut, make up artist, bar, restaurants, dog groomers, tour guide, etc.

When I was a waitress, standard was 15% to 20%, then it was 18% to 22%, now apps recommend 20% to 30% for delivery driver.

I grew up with tips and depended on them as a waitress, but geesh. I ordered a $32 pizza last week and the recommended tip for the driver was highlighted at $9.60!

Can you imagine if they had a transaction/admin fee for a tip, it would have been $12.13!! Lol. 😆

Edited by gina_riley2
correction.
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Up 1

12 hours ago, gina_riley2 said:

now apps recommend 20% to 30% for delivery driver.

.....awe dang.

And I thought 20% was a lot already!!!
I mean, I know I don't have to pay if I wasn't satisfied, but wow, 30%?

As I mentioned there were cases where I did not leave any tips because I was not happy with the service I received ( in other cases I have tipped pretty darn generously), and I've even gotten into a bit of an "argument" with my friend eating with me because of that.
He'd say stuff like "I know you weren't happy and he wasn't the best waiter, but he needs to make a living, so let's leave a tip..." and I'll tell him that he's being too nice, he'll say stuff like "You're Japanese, your service standards are way too high" and I'll say "That darn waiter didn't even smile or say hi, that's got nothing to do with standard!"

etc etc etc. Tips are fine. Just let US decide the amount.

I know I know, when you're in Rome, do what the Romans do.
I complain a lot ( and I mean a LOT) about tips...but in the end though, I do still tip 99% of the time.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I once left a 10% tip in an Indian restaurant in Hamburg and the waiter ran after us down the street with a bill. He didn’t speak English, we didn’t speak German so we just stared at each other for a while and then he left. I’m still to this day intrigued by what went wrong. Did he think that 10% was not enough? Was he offended that I tipped at all? Was the bill wrong? Did he want to ask something unrelated and just happened to have a bill in his hand? I have so many questions. 

Buyers want to tip often enough. They ask how to do it, how can they tip more, etc. Might be not your experience but the feature is up for those who do want to leave a tip.

I would rewrite the message and leave the “customary” out of it, though. I think Uber just has “leave a tip” and that’s it. It’s easy to ignore and I don’t feel forced to overpay. 

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 10

21 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

the waiter ran after us down the street with a bill

I forgot who it was, but there was some celebrity lady who came from a country where tips weren't really a thing, went to the US and was drinking at a bar. The bartender immediately recognized who she was and got reaaaaalllly excited because she thought she'll get a HUGE tip. Well since Miss Celebrity didn't know about tips, she thanked the bartender and left.....and the bartender chased after her and got into a huge argument. Not sure what happened in the end though.

OK, I get it, generally speaking, it IS a nice thing to tip. I get that. The celebrity lady was clearly rich, the bartender heard the ka-ching sound in her head, but got upset because she got nothing. Alright, fine, I get that. But chasing people down the street and demanding more?? I know this happens quite often, but is that considered acceptable? After all, it's not like you NEED to tip. 
If for example a waitress who was not happy with the amount of tip she got approached a customer in a very calm manner and asked if she did anything wrong, I think that's acceptable. I wonder if anyone got sued over tips. 😅

BTW I love tip jars. People don't check how much you throw in the jar, and since I don't feel any pressure I tend to leave a good amount. 

• Like 11
  • Up 2

• 2 years later...

It would be nice if there was a feature that let you turn it off, or at least decline. The constant emails, and "Leave a Private Review" (where they encourage you to tip, again) is really annoying. The power to Tip should be put in the buyers' hands. If the Seller wants more money, they should raise their prices.

• Like 10

US buyers alone are responsible for 53.14% of Fiverr’s annual revenue

https://backlinko.com/fiverr-users

Fiverr primarily serves the U.S. market, and the additional tipping system generates more revenue for the platform. Therefore, I don't foresee Fiverr eliminating this feature.

Like you, I'm also unaccustomed to the tipping culture and I don't anticipate receiving tips. Even U.S. clients on Fiverr rarely tip.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, winewillows said:

I would love to leave my designer a tip, but I find it very off putting that Fiverr charges an extra fee to do so. For a $5 tip, they add a surcharge of $2.78. That’s ridiculous. Please give the whole tip to the seller! 

This point has been raised many hundreds of times, and the reason why it is not possible has also been posted hundreds of times.  Perhaps search for the answer and you will understand why your suggestion is unworkable. 

• Like 8