If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

katakatica

So... I could just say that I'm curious (which I am) but this questions actually has a bit of a reasoning behind it. 

I'm hoping to become a digital nomad - and really want to see what places others love. I still have a few months to go (and of course, depends on how COVID goes...) but even though I have a few ideas I worry I might not be looking into everything (because honestly, I'm focusing on places where I speak the language just so it'd be easier...) 

So yeah, if someone told you that you can go anywhere in the world and work from there, where would it be? 

(I want to go to South Korea - I've been planning it for years but I'm not sure it's the right time just yet, so currently I have Spain (South, maybe, or a small island), France, Italy on MY list...along with everything else I can find on a map, haha.)

1 hour ago, corsogr said:

A country rich in ideas, multicultural culture and friendly people.

This is exactly what I'm looking for! I spent 2017-2020 travelling (with small breaks) and it definitely helped me improve although I had months where I couldn't write due to my other jobs (I did something similar to workaway so I could keep going on!) For me it's impossible to be calm and have limitless inspiration - I need the people, the culture... (the food.) Canada is on my list albeit it might be hard to get there but I definitely hope to stay there for a while at some point! I also speak French (though I'm not sure how much the French I've learnd in Les Landes would help me! (I realize people also speak English in Canada but if I go I do hope to also improve the rest of my languages!)

I have lived in a foreign country for years. Honestly, the place I would most like to live after this time would be in my small hometown (the one on my cover pic!). That is where I feel like I belong and feel most at ease. However, I don't think I am ever going to live there again as my girlfriend, of course, has a say in that decision 😄. I do look forward to always going there for a couple of weeks every summer, though.

Otherwise, I spent 4 months in Seoul, and that city is just awesome. Always something new to see and do. I wouldn't mind living there!

I would like to visit many places! 😅 My list is too long. First, I would like to visit Madagascar, then Mauritius, Australia, Athens(Greece), Singapore, etc. I wonder why I don't see anyone mentioning African countries. Mehn! If you come to Africa you'll fall in love with the beautiful continent in places such as Zanzibar, Mauritius, Mombasa, and many more.

It's a continent with a very big culture. You'll be surprised. I saw this video on social media, someone saying that Africa is one country and that Egypt is in India! Lol! If you ever want to explore Africa, I can give you suggestions to some of the best places you can visit in Africa. Myself so far I've only lived in 2 African countries, that being my home country Kenyan and the neighboring country Uganda, but I'm still young. I wish to explore the world.

I have no idea of where I would like to permanently live (I have been recently thinking about buying a van and just travel around) but I would absolutely love to visit Afghanistan. I'm so interested in their culture and landscapes that I'm planning to learn Dari soon. 

If i could go anywhere in the world right now I'd go to Japan or Korea for sure, I am planning to travel there some time next year.

But if I could choose to live somewhere else it would be Barcelona in Spain since It's my favorite place in the world and I am a big football club fan😄

If it's really live in, and not travel to, let's say for 1(+) year(s), then Japan, 絶対に日本! (definitely Japan), not only but as well for language reasons.
And I will, sooner or later, depending on a few things.
Well, and also on how all those Covid variants from alpha to omega, and whatever else the world has in store for us else, will play out, I guess.
I've lived in Tokyo for a while, in a shared house that belonged to a Korean landlady, with an American and a French guy, who were a bit creepy and noisy, respectively, but mostly nice, and a girl from Israel, who was very cool, and nice too, good times.
The earthquakes were a bit unwonted, to be sure, and after the first one, I declared some of my most comfy daywear to nightwear, to be ready to head out at a rumble's notice if needed, but you can get used to a lot of things. 
Next time, it might be Kyoto, or some place in Hokkaido or Okinawa, or a city where a friend lives, or even Tokyo again. 

If that someone who told me I could go and live and work wherever I'd like would also let me choose more than one country, the next stops on my list would be Portugal, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales (the latter in alphabetic order, not necessarily my order of choice, I'd have to brood over that ... 🤔 ... or should I instead choose ... Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales? ... Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall and Wales? ... I can hear those ancient voices calling "children, children" 🎵  🎶 ... ). 

For actually living somewhere long-term, I'd like somewhere I understand and speak the main language at least a wee bit. I might also put Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain on my list.
The above are all places I've been to before, but would like to be at again, and for longer. 

Depending on how long I'd still live, I might add Iceland, Denmark and some more places in Northern Europe next, then the rest of Europe, then the rest of the world (in case I gain immortality somehow by then), although I'd have to rely on English there (well, in the immortality case, I guess I might just learn a few more languages).
There are lots of places I'd love to see, but there's only so much left of my life, and I'd prefer living at just few places for a good amount of time, making some friends and stuff to "country-hopping".
However, if I could live 1 year+ at some places, I could still travel to some surrounding places for holidays, I guess. Ah, so many places, so little time.

However, if not all or none of the above happens, there are a few spots close to home where I'd love to live too, which might be more feasible, and I'd actually be quite fine with just staying where I am as well. 

I go back and forth between Japan and the states and I'm pretty happy with where I am...

BUT, I know there is this lovely town in Seattle called Port Townsend where a lot of the buildings are Victorian style, and Steampunk events are held there.

It will be nice if I can live there for a year or so.

If it's just visiting, I'd say Germany because that's where I was born but since I lived there for only one year I have ZERO memory, and

I feel like I should go there at least once. Check out the Christmas market, eat the sausage and the German chocolate cakes. 🥰

I'm British but I've lived in Germany for a few years now. I love the landscape and eventually grew to kind-of-love the cultural differences in communication and humour. I'm not sure if Germany is forever, but I love Europe and don't imagine myself moving permanently to another continent. I considered Spain but I melt in high temperatures and I appreciate the changing of the seasons too much. 

22 hours ago, miiila said:

've lived in Tokyo for a while, in a shared house that belonged to a Korean landlady, with an American and a French guy, who were a bit creepy and noisy, respectively, but mostly nice, and a girl from Israel, who was very cool, and nice too, good times.

I had a friend who lived in Japan (in the countryside though!) she didn't love it as much, but honestly, it's on my list - especially now that I can go anywhere I want! (well...visa dependent but still!) I'm looking into sunnier places in Europe first (mostly because my parents are so~ convinced it's best to be close for the next few years! But... at this point I just want to go somewhere! 

I really want to return to London (or even Edinburgh as well at some point... but also anywhere in Italy, France...) I like to think that I still have plenty of time left - but who knows when I might wish to settle (although I don't think I could ever 'stop' for a very long period of time!

(as for relying on English, if try hard enough, picking up on the basic language in most places I've been to (well, okay, Italy, French and China!) isn't all that complicated! I'll never forget the first time I managed to order coffee properly in Italy. Best day ever, ha!

BUT, English for me somehow remained the main language to use with friends (and I'm not even English!), maybe because I was missing home a little at some point!)

23 hours ago, katakatica said:

(as for relying on English, if try hard enough, picking up on the basic language in most places I've been to (well, okay, Italy, French and China!) isn't all that complicated! I'll never forget the first time I managed to order coffee properly in Italy. Best day ever, ha!

BUT, English for me somehow remained the main language to use with friends (and I'm not even English!), maybe because I was missing home a little at some point!)

Yes, it's not an issue to learn and pick up enough to be able to order coffee and such, I've always done that already before going somewhere even just for a few days, and English is a possibility almost anywhere, but language isn't just a vehicle to make sure to stay caffeinated and convey facts, there are deeper levels of understanding people, the culture, a country, that are tied to language. It takes quite a while to be able to express anything that comes to your mind and that might come up in conversation with friends, or even strangers in another language. It's also a bit of an age thing; the older you get, the more difficult it becomes to and the less time you have left to really learn a language to a level that you can comfortably ... chat about philosophy with a friend, understand the cake recipe your landlady tries to pass on to you and what her little daughter tries to tell you, discuss different kinds of wood with the carpenter down the road, ... not having to start from zero, but from an advanced level, can be a big advantage, depending. Fresh out of school, or uni, I probably wouldn't have thought much of it, but it's a different story now.

Being able to use English as a "dodging language" in so many places and with so many people is great, but there's a downside too. While on the one hand, it's a useful tool to learn a language if the people you learn it from don't know your own first language, but on the other hand, it makes it easy to dodge all the time, and it also tends to make foreigners who came to experience a country and learn the language, hang out with people who aren't from that country and speak English all the time - not that there's no fun to be had with that, of course. Much depends on what one wants out of the living elsewhere experience. 

However, I finally managed to get an appointment for my first Covid shot, one step closer to travelling again, send that good fairy person from your opening post over, so we can chat about details 😉

Archived