Not acceptable... 😡

surajkartha

4 hours ago, newsmike said:

iDrive is a great online backup service, like $7.95 for first year with 5TB online space and it is all encrypted automatically.  Sync to all devices you want too. Definitely need cloud backup, because a fire or burglary can take out your computer and backup at the same time. Plus you don't have to let Microsoft see your data, unlike OneDrive. Set it up and you don't even have to run backups, it does auto every day as you update files. Last year I bricked my iPhone, got a new one and restored it perfectly in 10 minutes. 

https://www.idrive.com/

Are you able to move old VO projects from the cloud onto your computer, then work with them again?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

Are you able to move old VO projects from the cloud onto your computer, then work with them again?

Yes, I do all the time.  You log in, navigate to the file(s) that you want and click restore.  A copy comes right down to your local machine, and the original stays right there in the backup. Plus every year I delete all the files from that years projects from my local machine, knowing that they are all there in the backup if I even need them.  But no need to waste a ton of space locally keeping old files. 

And you can back up multiple devices, several computers and your phone, so every time you take a picture on your phone, it automatically goes up to the backup.  Drop your phone in the ocean, all you lose is hardware, all your contacts, pics and files on the phone are safe. Pull them down to your shiny new phone. 

Icing on the cake, it is a business expense to protect your work files, so you write it off as a business expense anyway.  

I'm a novelist in my non-Fiverr life, and I once lost 38,000 words of a novel in progress. Since then, I backup everything obsessively. I have an external HD backup that I carry in my bag whenever I leave the house and use an automatic whole-computer cloud backup service daily.

11 hours ago, melanielm said:

I once lost 38,000 words of a novel in progress

Ouch, sorry to hear that.. the closest I can relate to is when I accidentally deleted ALL my websites instead of just one.. the worst part was that I was so confident that I was deleting just the one website I had intended to, that I hit "Skip Trash" when I was prompted for confirmation, there were no backups either.. so the feeling was like no other feeling  😅 only comparable to every time I stubbed my toe 😅

I have two big external hard drives (currently, a 2 TB and a 4 TB one) "in rotation", keeping one of them at my father's place and occasionally swapping them, so I always have one off-site (which won't have the newest stuff, obviously, but I can live with that) in case of a fire or water hazard. I don't actually need that much space, but it's convenient, as I can simply push everything there without having to spend time sorting through, dumping file multiples, etc.
I replace those drives somewhat regularly, which is when I will go through and dump things that aren't any longer needed. The less hassle your back-up routine is, the more likely you stick with it, and big drives were the best solution for me. 

Then, I have two usb drives in addition, one with only tax stuff and such to give away in case of an audition without any private or work-related things on it, and a tiny one on my keyring with my most important things always with me, like family photos, some music, and such. I also have photos on Google photos, and select things on Google Drive and OneDrive.

Cloud storage is awesome, but I'm selective with what I put up there. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Ha ha the worst (or best) part that it’s Russian singer 🙈  

Haha well, lblblblbl has its own fan base 😁

I don't know about others but if someone were to ask me if I can do something special I will definitely go "lblblblbl" on them 🤘

• 2 weeks later...

Archived