Not acceptable... 😡

surajkartha

That you visited the forum and didn't check out this thread 🤘

On a serious note, do you guys periodically backup your data? If yes, how?

It took me two instances of data loss to finally make it a habit to back up data on a weekly basis...

One of those instances involved me accidentally dropping the external hard disk (after which it stopped working), so I lost my faith in confining myself to local backups alone and explored cloud backup options as well.. but then privacy is an issue.. the employees of most cloud backup companies can access your data.. so the way I am doing it at the moment is by using a freeware called Cryptomator.. which encrypts data before uploading it to the cloud.. so even if the company decides to take a peek at the data, all they'd see is gibberish lol.. the decrypted data instead shows up in a "virtual drive"..

Besides cloud, I still do backup locally to my external drive and internal drive.. ALL synchronized using a freeware called FreeFileSync... 

But ya, I am wondering if there is a less complicated and easy way to backup data without compromising on the privacy... which is why I am curious what kind of setup you all have for data backup.. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

😤😤😤 ARRR... I am also angereh!!! What a nose nosey nosferatu

Hahaha anyway, an IT friend of mine set up SyncBack and it does everything on its own at a certain time when I open my computer. But for my laptop I just Onedrive really, as it mostly for on the go paperwork.

3 minutes ago, theratypist said:

SyncBack

Oh, let me bookmark that as an alternative to FreeFileSync..

5 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Onedrive

Ya OneDrive did stand out when I was exploring my options.. also makes sense if you have to use their Office 365 and other apps as well.. I chose pCloud though since I only needed to backup data.. 

3 hours ago, surajkartha said:

But ya, I am wondering if there is a less complicated and easy way to backup data without compromising on the privacy... which is why I am curious what kind of setup you all have for data backup.. 

iDrive is a great online backup service, like $7.95 for first year with 5TB online space and it is all encrypted automatically.  Sync to all devices you want too. Definitely need cloud backup, because a fire or burglary can take out your computer and backup at the same time. Plus you don't have to let Microsoft see your data, unlike OneDrive. Set it up and you don't even have to run backups, it does auto every day as you update files. Last year I bricked my iPhone, got a new one and restored it perfectly in 10 minutes. 

https://www.idrive.com/

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

iDrive is a great online backup service, like $7.95 for first year with 5TB online space and it is all encrypted automatically.  Sync to all devices you want too. Definitely need cloud backup, because a fire or burglary can take out your computer and backup at the same time. Plus you don't have to let Microsoft see your data, unlike OneDrive. Set it up and you don't even have to run backups, it does auto every day as you update files. Last year I bricked my iPhone, got a new one and restored it perfectly in 10 minutes. 

https://www.idrive.com/

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation.. 👍

Just now, surajkartha said:

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation.. 👍

Plus you get a matching amount of sync space, so 5TB backup, and 5TB sync, which replaces the need for Dropbox too. You can send links to files you want to share with buyers, etc. 

4 hours ago, surajkartha said:

so I lost my faith in confining myself to local backups alone and explored cloud backup options as well.. but then privacy is an issue..

Local backup is the best backup , keeping your data in 3 different hard drives for instance would make it almost impossible to actually lose anything ,you'll avoid those privacy concerns as well . External Hdd or Sdd drives are not very expensive these days 

4 hours ago, surajkartha said:

(after which it stopped working)

This could also be fixed ,the data is probably there 

Did you happen to try 'recoverit' ? it's a software from wondershare if I am not mistaken , It worked for me in the past...although the drive was not visible anywhere in my pc , I was able to see it through that software and I recovered most of what was there. I am not sure if it's going to work in your case but it won't hurt to try . If the trial works for you and you can see the data send me a message and i'll share a license if I can find mine

Looking into it. Unfortunately in the video space cloud solutions just don't cut it. Files are too large. I have some important data in iCloud (documents, keychain passwords and log-ins, etc), but for projects, local storage is the only way to go, at least efficiently. I'm looking into going the NAS route, but it's not easy. I need something that allows me to edit from directly, with multiple machines, and really fast read/write speeds. So basically an SSD NAS with gigabit ethernet... but then some machines don't have gigabit ethernet themselves, so it would have to be thunderbolt 3... but then I can't find any NAS with multiple thunderbolt ports either... It's a nightmare. So for now I'm just using a ton of T7 and T5 external SSD's.

Anyway, any decent solution, with enough storage, will cost me 3K€+ to implement. For that price I can get an M1 Max, and that's just a much more appealing way to spend my money 😛

2 minutes ago, cre8iveartwork said:

Did you happen to try 'recoverit' ? it's a software from wondershare if I am not mistaken , It worked for me in the past...although the drive was not visible anywhere in my pc , I was able to see it through that software and I recovered most of what was there. I am not sure if it's going to work in your case but it won't hurt to try . If the trial works for you and you can see the data send me a message and i'll share a license if I can find mine

Wow, sounds good.. I will bookmark the website for now.. I've discarded that hard drive though.. plan was to use it as an internal drive but it had a lot of bad sectors on it.. which made me realize that hard drives too have a life span.. so ya, the data is gone.. but I will definitely give recoverit a try if the need arises (hope not 😅) appreciate you offering to share the license though, kind of you.. 🙏

5 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Looking into it. Unfortunately in the video space cloud solutions just don't cut it. Files are too large. I have some important data in iCloud (documents, keychain passwords and log-ins, etc), but for projects, local storage is the only way to go, at least efficiently. I'm looking into going the NAS route, but it's not easy. I need something that allows me to edit from directly, with multiple machines, and really fast read/write speeds. So basically an SSD NAS with gigabit ethernet... but then some machines don't have gigabit ethernet themselves, so it would have to be thunderbolt 3... but then I can't find any NAS with multiple thunderbolt ports either... It's a nightmare. 

Anyway, any decent solution, with enough storage, will cost me 3K€+ to implement. For that price I can get an M1 Max, and that's just much more appealing 😛

Dang.. that's a bummer.. I can only imagine what it must be like.. if you don't mind me asking, what's your approximate data volume as of now? i.e. in terms of terabytes or petabytes? 

That really depends. Atm we keep deleting old projects to make room for new ones. Just to give you an idea, a client sent us footage for 4 10 minute YouTube videos yesterday... 750 GB (around half an hour of 4k Multicam with 3 angles per video). This is for one client, for a month. During the editing process, with render and analysis files, that easily becomes double. Luckily our machines can handle the video as is, so we don't need do transcoding or proxies, otherwise it would be even more.

1 minute ago, visualstudios said:

That really depends. Atm we keep deleting old projects to make room for new ones. Just to give you an idea, a client sent us footage for 4 10 minute YouTube videos yesterday... 750 GB.

Woah.. 750 GB just for one project? saying that's A LOT would be an understatement.. 

3 minutes ago, surajkartha said:

Woah.. 750 GB just for one project? saying that's A LOT would be an understatement.. 

Technically it's 4 projects, since it's 4 separate videos, so 4 separate orders. But this is one client, on-going, and that's for one month. We just delete each video's project after completion, there's no way to keep everything in storage. But now think of multiple clients... Some videos are 3 or 4 GB only, but many are 100GB+. It's a lot.

And storage is only one aspect. Transfers are another. I pay for a Filemail pro server, with no cap, and I have a 500mbps connection, and it still took me like 10 hours to download those 750gb. And I had to do it on my iMac, since my M1 Mac (the machine that will actually edit the video) doesn't have enough hard drive space to even download 750GB at once lol

1 minute ago, visualstudios said:

Technically it's 4 projects, since it's 4 separate videos, so 4 separate orders. But this is one client, on-going, and that's for one month. We just delete each video's project after completion, there's no way to keep everything in storage. But now think of multiple clients... Some videos are 3 or 4 GB only, but many are 100GB+. It's a lot.

And storage is only one aspect. Transfers are another. I pay for a Filemail pro server, with no cap, and I have a 500mbps connection, and it still took me like 10 hours to download those 750gb.

😳

Oh my.. now that I think of it, processing those files must be another story altogether 😅

Just now, surajkartha said:

Oh my.. now that I think of it, processing those files must be another story altogether 😅

Luckily for us Final Cut is extremely fast and efficient. Just import them all into a library, they get copied into the external SSD, and it's smooth sailing from there (as long as there's space on the SSD :P)

1 hour ago, cre8iveartwork said:

Local backup is the best backup , keeping your data in 3 different hard drives for instance would make it almost impossible to actually lose anything ,you'll avoid those privacy concerns as well

So if the fire destroys your entire place, how do your 3 HDD's survive?  No serious IT department would be without cloud backups, maybe in addition to local, but cloud is safest.  That data is backed up on enterprise grade servers in several countries on different continents for true disaster readiness.   

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

So if the fire destroys your entire place, how do your 3 HDD's survive?

they would probably survive 😉 cloud is definitely not the safest backup you can get . Also who said that you have to keep all of them in the same place ? 

1 minute ago, cre8iveartwork said:

they would probably survive 😉 cloud is definitely not the safest backup you can get 

OK, a couple external drives in a coffee can in your sock drawer is safer than AWS servers. You may want to start calling every corporation in the world and let them know, because they all use cloud for the eventuality that local fails, is sabotaged, or otherwise. You can't really be arguing that local only is safer than local with additional cloud behind it.  That seems best to me. 😀

Archived