> 2 Mio services available on Fiverr

blavaro

15 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

It's present in every category, sure, but it shouldn't be top 3, for the reasons I outlined above. They have a big population, but most of that population is employed in things that can make them more than working on Fiverr. Not so for cheap countries, that's why there are so many sellers there.

A bit shock for me as well.

But they aren't $5 sellers. They charge high, can earn in a month which they won't in three months on regular job.

Also they work with agencies. Unlike we (pakistanis) work with persons.

or maybe ask @newsmike why he's on fiverr ? why he don't do local job ?

Edited by grayprogrammerz
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grayprogrammerz said:

Also they work with agencies. Unlike we work with persons.

Who's we? My prices are high, and I also work with agencies.

1 minute ago, grayprogrammerz said:

or maybe ask @newsmike why he's on fiverr ? why he don't do local job ?

Because he's one of the top 1% I referred to. Yes, some very successful sellers are American and make a lot of money. But not nearly enough to be in the top 3 of any category, that's my point.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Who's we? My prices are high, and I also work with agencies.

Because he's one of the top 1% I referred to. Yes, some very successful sellers are American and make a lot of money. But not nearly enough to be in the top 3 of any category, that's my point.

Sorry, We = Cheap countries Pakistan, Bangladesh etc

I agree that %1 is only top rated and very rare already, lower than 200-500.

May be part time. Reaching level one or two is easier for them. Earn just $400 and $2000 and have level forever.

Will love to hear from @imagination7413. Being USA citizen, are those $20-$50 worths ?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grayprogrammerz said:

I believe USA present in every category (suppose to be, having big population, states, universities, education...) Its largest country having great revenue from digital products like apple, meta, microsoft,... So fiverr best suit for digital services.

"photography","music-audio","lifestyle" categories are bit different. Are cheap countries ignoring it or doesn't consider as work or isn't advertise (didn't mentioned low skill level as I know Pakistanis are everywhere regardless of their skillset 😂) ?

27 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

Will love to hear from @imagination7413. Being USA citizen, are those $20-$50 worths ?

Because of this:

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

In a country where you can make 30k+ a year flipping burgers, why would you work freelance for way less?

58 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

for the reasons I outlined above. They have a big population, but most of that population is employed in things that can make them more than working on Fiverr. Not so for cheap countries, that's why there are so many sellers there.

The terminology that's missing is "opportunity cost" and "minimum wage" and "unemployment" and "inflation".

Disclaimer 1: US wage and labor law is complicated, so this is an oversimplification...
Disclaimer 2: I agree with the perspective in the videos, so I'm admittedly a bit bias.

Back to your question:

28 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

Being USA citizen, are those $20-$50 worths ?

As a producer of goods and/or services, or as a consumer of goods and/or services? (Seller or Buyer?)

I suppose a quick 'Introduction to Business 101' might help.

• Accounting 201: sales minus expenses equals profit
  • Accounting 201: The goal of a business is to make money for the owner(s). (This is as true for sole-proprietors as it is for corporations with shareholder owners.) 
  • Management 201: Labor is almost always the biggest single expense of a business. 
  • Economics 201: Supply and Demand equilibrium. 

I also think there's laws about a minimum work shift, and I know there's laws about work breaks. Current US law is $7.25/hr minimum wage. Most places right now hire at $9-$10 starting, and easily $15-$20 if experienced. This means for Fiverr to attract US Sellers, the $5 minimum Gig price usually equates about a half-hour of work. (Again, oversimplification.) 

Opportunity cost. A person could work a steady (if tedious) minimum wage job for eight hours a day, for five days a week, and every two weeks get compensation for his/her labor with a paycheck for $600 (pre-tax). Freelancing (not just on Fiverr) is inconsistent work, and competition means bidding low enough to get the job while still making a profit. As much as Americans love the idea of being their own boss, many are disillusioned very quickly when the lights or water are being shut off. 

I respect entrepreneurs. I don't respect people who don't think and plan for the future (especially the ones who have dependents who rely on them for the basic necessity of food). 

Life 101: Just because you put a price tag on something doesn't mean people will buy it. 

• Like 15
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, visualstudios said:

n a country where you can make 30k+ a year flipping burgers, why would you work freelance for way less? And yes, the vast, vast majority of people in the platform are making less than that. And yes, Americans may do it as a side hustle, I suppose, but they would drop out fast or just have functionally inactive accounts

I bet most US (and other higher COL location people) do not use Fiverr as 100% of their income. Whether it is part of a larger business or a side hustle, we undoubtedly have more than one basket for our money-making eggs. I certainly do. Also, it is quite possible to make more per working hour than you would flipping burgers here. There are still many reasons why someone would be fine with making less: staying home with kids, disability that prevents outside work, an entrepreneurial spirit, no local jobs in their skillset, etc. There are even towns out there without burger joints.

• Like 13
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

I totally get that, But it still surprises me, when you have countries with bigger populations (or nearly as big), no opportunities locally, and way lower cost of living, for which Fiverr is much much more appealing as a career choice as for an American. And you see that in plenty of categories, btw.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, catwriter said:

What makes you so certain he doesn't have a job? There are plenty of sellers who do have a job, and working on Fiverr is another source of income.

May be. Who knows. He don't want to be discussed (and he reserves right).

But I agree, several sellers use fiverr as option B.

3 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

As a producer of goods and/or services, or as a consumer of goods and/or services? (Seller or Buyer?)

Offcourse selling (as discussion about it).

Sorry mam, I don't get what you wrote. (if that was wrote for me)

If I understood correctly, laws in USA strict ? having high labor hourly rate ? So business prefer hire cheap ones on fiverr ?

But earning $20-50 can pay your bills in USA ? For me, even $50 gonna fulfill all bills in month in Pakistan (even most expensive place of country i.e Islamabad).

What if it doesn't ?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grayprogrammerz said:

May be. Who knows. He don't want to be discussed (and he reserves right).

I think he mentioned somewhere that he does Fiverr orders after work.

2 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

But I agree, several sellers use fiverr as option B.

Not just several, many. And not just as an option B; the smartest ones have several sources of income.

• Like 12
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

The US numbers could be a bit too high, as the US most probably are the most preferred country to fake being from on gig economy platforms. As we sadly have no way of knowing by how much, I guess, it's not really relevant,  and it might not be that much, just a small detail for the sake of thoroughness, while playing with numbers.

• Like 10
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, grayprogrammerz said:

Offcourse selling (as discussion about it). Sorry mam, I don't get what you wrote. (if that was wrote for me)

I apologize for the confusion, you basically asked me to summarize hours of college classes. 

If I understood correctly, laws in USA strict ? having high labor hourly rate ? So business prefer hire cheap ones on fiverr ?

Yes, USA labor law is stringent. There are laws regarding wages, workplace safety, labor hours, medical leave, nondiscrimination, etc. 

Most businesses don't need the type of labor, the type of services that can be found on Fiverr. Burgers can't be flipped remotely. Cashiers/stockers, mechanics, cooks, nurses, construction workers, cleaners, etc. all need to be bodies-in-the-building. 

But earning $20-50 can pay your bills in USA ? For me, even $50 gonna fulfill all bills in month in Pakistan (even most expensive place of country i.e Islamabad). What if it doesn't ?

No. Unless someone owns their house and property, that $600 (pre-tax) paycheck I mentioned usually doesn't cover their monthly house payment. 

As for the 'high' rate, yes and no. Yes, Americans get paid high wages in comparison to many places internationally. And many places in the States are quite affordable for cost-of-living, but there are many places that are very expensive to live. My apartment's rent is currently $600. Water, sewer, trash is about $100. There's also electricity. I'll admit, I do like having a phone, so that is an extraneous expense, but that alone is about $35 (and that's the minimum data-package plan). I also like having a car, but that needs insurance, gas, oil, registration (it's older and paid off, fortunately). And then there's food. 

I am a very frugal person compared to the average American, but that just means that the average household expenses are much higher than what I've mentioned above. 

There's one more aspect that's not been mentioned yet, though. Debt. Debt is actually a VERY big problem in the USA right now. There's a big lie, a trap, that many Americans have fallen into, and so their expenses are even higher because they have to pay back what they borrowed. 

That is why most Americans work for others, be it a small company or a corporation. Most Americans can't afford to not work. 

---

I'm pretty sure I've not fully answered your question, but I have work tomorrow, so I'll have to check back later. 

• Like 13
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

I'm pretty sure I've not fully answered your question, but I have work tomorrow, so I'll have to check back later. 

Wow $600 rent ? Its too expensive. Here its 30k pkr = $105 (one of most expensive house in pakistan).

and water is free and electricity, gas, takes only 5k pkr max.

but cars too much expensive (fact we import it).

I think fiverr and other marketplaces did good job to connect two opposite parts of glob giving both sides same great benefit.

We have agriculture, and most of us don't work, just one father and that's enough. lol

I think explanation is enough. and gave me good insight. Thanks so much !

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, sandyroseus1 said:

Fiverr can make a report page where they can upload freelancers information. Now question is how many freelancers are working on fiverr? And where are from? 

I can't imagine a scenario where Fiverr would have an incentive to do this.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyroseus1 said:

Now question is how many freelancers are working on fiverr?

According to their Q422 Prepared Remarks document there's "hundreds of thousands of sellers and millions of service listings". I don't think they've recently given a more accurate figure though, but based on that it's still less than 1 million (active) sellers.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newsmike said:

I can't imagine a scenario where Fiverr would have an incentive to do this.

They might give the minimum amount of info somewhere so that search engines like google/bing etc. can easily index the pages for the active sellers. eg. some sites have sitemap info for the site with links to various pages.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1