To Buyers: You're not fooling us when you say "I'll have tons more work for you"

Ever had a buyer send you a message, asking for a LARGE discount - simply because they've got "more work for you in the future".

This might sound great, but there's no guarantee they're place multiple orders with you. Even with the subscription offering on Fiverr - they can back out at any time.

I once heard a great tip, so feel free to use this if someone offers this to you:

Respond with: "Sure, I can do discounted pricing for repeated orders. The first order will be my standard rate - but the second and third orders will be 5% and 10% discount respectively, and 10% thereafter".

This way - you're offering a discount for repeat orders, but not risking the client placing one order and ghosting you! 

• Like 17
  • Up 2

You're just playing your cards too early with that one. Be more circumspect and explain you don't do discounts on first orders but are open to negotiation on long-term work following an initial test project (or more). 

Trust me, that works just as well and you don't lock yourself into a discount when you have no idea what the work will look like. Speaking of which, you don't need to discount. Just shave things off the service to "save money" and make sure the buyer knows that this deal isn't a discount - it's an alignment of your service to their budget. 

As for the large discount people who are taking the badword, I just reject them outright. Not worth wasting time negotiating with. 

• Like 17

On 4/28/2024 at 11:40 AM, emmaki said:

You're just playing your cards too early with that one. Be more circumspect and explain you don't do discounts on first orders but are open to negotiation on long-term work following an initial test project (or more). 

Trust me, that works just as well and you don't lock yourself into a discount when you have no idea what the work will look like. Speaking of which, you don't need to discount. Just shave things off the service to "save money" and make sure the buyer knows that this deal isn't a discount - it's an alignment of your service to their budget. 

As for the large discount people who are taking the badword, I just reject them outright. Not worth wasting time negotiating with. 

Definitely worth a try, thank you! I'm not averse to discounts though - I still think they have their place. Since this line of work is precarious, I'd happily take a 15% discount on a bulk deal of 3 projects, just to give myself some bottom line for that given month. What do you think?

• Like 5

I've only joined Fiverr recently, earlier this year, but it has already been my experience that presumptive buyers offering "large quantities of work" -- either present or future, and demanding deep discounts at the onset of initial discussions - are not genuine. Most are outright scam artists who wound up getting blocked before I even had a chance to respond at all -- which is fine with me 🙂 

• Like 5