W-9 US Verification Requirement

mjensen415

when i looked my setting & i found this Form W-9

The W9 is only for those in the US.

It doesn’t look like Fiverr has considered those of us who ARE U.S. Citizens but live in a different nation. Possibly another example of Fiverr making a decision/change before they know and understand all of the facts?

• Like 39

Doesn’t matter where you live, if you’re a US citizen you are required to pay taxes there.

And yes, that sometimes means you’re paying taxes twice - once in the country you live in and again in the US …

There are mechanisms to prevent double taxation from happening, you must report all the taxes you paid and your income to the US authorities if you are a US citizen abroad, that is true. You do not have to pay twice in most parts o f the world. For example in Germany there are special provisions for US personas, even in Serbia where I currently live, your bank asks you if you earn your money in the US to be able to take that into account. By the way the USA and Eritrea are the only two countries in the world that enforce income tax even on expats… So much for the “land of the free”.

• Like 40

Why wasn’t this sent during the actual tax season i’ve already filed my taxes and accounted for the money i earned from fiverr. Fiverr has never given us the option to do a W-9 but is now after the tax deadline is telling us we need to do a W-9 wth.

• Like 37

I have a question. For a US citizen that joined Fiverr few months ago and has not make up to $20,000 nor completed 200 orders. Am I to click yes or a no, and am I expected to fill out the form w-9 ?

For a US citizen that joined Fiverr few months ago and has not make up to $20,000

You still have to fill out the W9 Forum for the 2020 taxes.

Will we have to file a W-9 for the tax season that just ended or the next one?

It will be for the 2020 tax season.

Why wasn’t this sent during the actual tax season

It is for the 2020 ta season.

• Like 37

To anyone reading this who has a fake US seller account, don’t fill in the W9 form as if you are in the US. If you try to fake that you are going to be in trouble. It’s very easy to see if you use a fake SS number. That is easily verified online by anyone. You should notify customer support of your real country.

Fiverr will be notified if you submit an incorrect W9.

What option we need to select if I am from Pakistan?

• Like 30

Will you be earning at least $20,000 in 2020? And completed at least 200 orders? If not you will not need to fill out a W-9.

The tax season is considered a calendar year. We did not have a tax season that just ended. It will end at the end of 2020.

You might have meant the tax filing deadline, which was for 2019 and ended in April, although I think this year it was extended past that date.

If you will have earned at least $600 in 2020 you will still need to pay taxes but won’t be getting a 1099 from fiverr showing your earnings apparently.

• Like 37

Hi Everyone,

In the next few day, some of you will see that we (Fiverr) will be asking sellers who are defined as a US Person* to complete a W-9 form regarding their activity on Fiverr.

You will receive a notification on the Fiverr website and an email message asking you to check your status within 30 days, in a form of a short questionnaire.

If in fact you are classified as a US Person*, you will undergo a short process in which you will fill in Form W-9 that contains standard business information to include your contact information, full address and tax forms.

Fiverr will not use the information submitted as part of filling the Form W-9 for any purpose, apart from sending a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities and update your billing address on Fiverr.

Please note that all sellers are required to check if they need to fill out a Form W-9, regardless of their place of residence. By not doing so, within 30 days, your Gigs will be subject to automatic deactivation.

Please read this article carefully for all the information.

FAQ -

Why are you doing this?

When Fiverr is required under applicable laws, it will send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in that year and had at least 200 separate orders.

Is “tip” considered a transaction?

Any transaction, including tips is counted toward the 200 transactions. An order and a tip are each seperate transatctions.

Is this for money earned or money withdrawn?

Money earned.

Will Fiverr will start to display our legal names anywhere, or is this all internal only?

In certain circumstances, we may disclose the data in your W-9 form, with applicable US tax authorities, or as otherwise required by applicable law. None of this information will be displayed publicly on Fiverr.

Please leave additional questions below.

*For a definition of “US Person” please read more here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/classification-of-taxpayers-for-us-tax-purposes

Will you be earning at least $20,000 in 2020? And completed at least 200 orders? If not you will not need to fill out a W-9.

Are you sure? I understood it to say all US citizens must have a completed W9, but unless we make at $20,000 and complete at least 200 orders in 2020, Fiverr will not be sending out a 1099 form.

If in fact you are classified as a US Person*, you will undergo a short process in which you will fill in Form W-9 that contains standard business information to include your contact information, full address and tax forms.

When Fiverr is required under applicable laws, it will send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in that year and had at least 200 separate orders.

• Like 35

Are you sure? I understood it to say all US citizens must have a completed W9, but unless we make at $20,000 and complete at least 200 orders in 2020, Fiverr will not be sending out a 1099 form.

You are probably right.

• Like 36

and have to prove it again with my SSN, address, and tax ID?

Apparently.

How can others claim they are US based when their not? Fake ID?

They use a VPN to access the internet.

You should stop using vpn for fiverr. There is verification call ed W-9. If you use us network You may have to prove your identity

• Like 36

You should stop using vpn for fiverr. There is verification call ed W-9. If you use us network You may have to prove your identity

You should stop using vpn for fiverr.

Why are you addressing me about this? I am already a US citizen, located in the USA.

• Like 37

I am not addressing you 🙂 I mentioning others

You responded to one of my earlier comments, thereby alerting me to your response. The way you wrote your response to my comment reads as though you were talking to me. You didn’t use any plural pronouns in your comment, rather, everything you wrote used the word “you”, which addresses me.

• Like 35

I’ve the question though, Is it mandatory for every US seller ??

It’s good information to share with us, Hope everyone those are real US seller will be fill up the forms. Happy Freelancing

Hi. I m not a us citizen …do i have to fill out this form ???

Mod Note: No

• Like 33