W-9 US Verification Requirement

mjensen415

The 1099-MISC process this year promises to be more complicated than in years past. That’s because the IRS is rolling out a brand-new form, Form 1099-NEC , beginning with 2020 payments to independent contractors. Warning: The IRS isn’t entirely ditching Form 1099-MISC, which means you will have two different sets of 1099 forms to file.

-from businessmanagementdaily

• Like 46

Fiverr is required under applicable laws to send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in the said calendar year and had at least 200 separate order

That’s the first I’ve seen that. It must be in the newest IRS rules.

This has been the rule for years. Nothing new here. Both criteria must be met to trigger the 1099 form to be sent.

• Like 45

A lot of companies issue W9’s, even when you do freelance work for a week. I have an S-Corporation and pay corporate taxes on a quarterly basis, so I don’t know if I’ll be given a W9.

I just hope Fiverr doesn’t take social security taxes, medicare, and federal taxes, every time I make a withdrawal. I’m fine showing my income, but since this isn’t a full-time job, I expect to be treated like a freelancer.

• Like 48

A lot of companies issue W9’s, even when you do freelance work for a week. I have an S-Corporation and pay corporate taxes on a quarterly basis, so I don’t know if I’ll be given a W9.

I just hope Fiverr doesn’t take social security taxes, medicare, and federal taxes, every time I make a withdrawal. I’m fine showing my income, but since this isn’t a full-time job, I expect to be treated like a freelancer.

I have an S-Corporation and pay corporate taxes on a quarterly basis, so I don’t know if I’ll be given a W9.

On the W9 it asks if you are a corporation or not. They can get 1099’s.

• Like 45

Initially, It’s only for US seller. May be later, We everyone have to go for it.

I’m wondering if you see the W-9 when you look at your account setting. Do you have it? I assume you are not in the US so I wonder if everyone has that or only US persons.

I see a seller in India has it.

I have it on mine and when I clicked on it this is what it says; “The Form W-9 verification process is not available yet. We’ll notify you when this option will be available.”

• Like 42

Why are people from the US celebrating as if Fiverr is meant for them alone? :rofl: If you have worked on UpWork before you would know that this is no big deal. On UpWork you are required to present an equivalent of the form from your country. That Fiverr is starting with the US doesn’t mean it was meant to victimize anyone.

The Fiverr verification is also tight.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 3

I got a notification and mail telling me to do this within 30 days to keep my gigs active, clicked it, got asked whether I am “a US person”, no, I’m a cat and dog person 😉 so I clicked “No”, done. (For now, I guess they may require equivalent forms be filled out in future if other countries’ tax authorities insist.)

• Like 51
  • Up 3

Why are people from the US celebrating as if Fiverr is meant for them alone? :rofl: If you have worked on UpWork before you would know that this is no big deal. On UpWork you are required to present an equivalent of the form from your country. That Fiverr is starting with the US doesn’t mean it was meant to victimize anyone.

The Fiverr verification is also tight.

Why are people from the US celebrating as if Fiverr is meant for them alone

The W9 form is just for US sellers. It’s hardly a celebration to have to fill out a tax form. I think you misunderstand. Be thankful you don’t have to fill it out.

• Like 46

I got the notification, I filled out the address form, but the “Next” button doesn’t work. It doesn’t say any of my information is missing or wrong, I know none of it is - is the form not working yet? Should I just wait a day or two to fill it out? I’d like this to be a solved problem before, you know, the deadline of my business getting hung up on for reasons out of my control.

• Like 43

Why are people from the US celebrating as if Fiverr is meant for them alone

The W9 form is just for US sellers. It’s hardly a celebration to have to fill out a tax form. I think you misunderstand. Be thankful you don’t have to fill it out.

Oh! Well, I am thankful I won’t be filling it. However, I was reacting to some of the comments here.

• Like 44

I got the notification, I filled out the address form, but the “Next” button doesn’t work. It doesn’t say any of my information is missing or wrong, I know none of it is - is the form not working yet? Should I just wait a day or two to fill it out? I’d like this to be a solved problem before, you know, the deadline of my business getting hung up on for reasons out of my control.

Did you put in your social security number? And check the part that asks if you are a individual, etc? When I clicked the next button it said I completed it.

• Like 44

Did you put in your social security number? And check the part that asks if you are a individual, etc? When I clicked the next button it said I completed it.

I have no social security prompt. I selected individual, filled out ever field but Address 2 since my current legal address only has the one line. Country, State, zip code; everything’s filled out and there is no box for SSN on the Address page which is where I’m stuck. The Next button just doesn’t work at all.

• Like 45
  • Up 2

Another question. I am a US citizen but currently living in Europe and will continue to do so. Does anyone know if this is still required? My banking and everything else is still in the US. I filled out the form just in case (using my US address associated with my banking), wondering if I did this properly. I also sent a message to support just in case. Thank you in advance!

• Like 45
  • Up 2

I have no social security prompt. I selected individual, filled out ever field but Address 2 since my current legal address only has the one line. Country, State, zip code; everything’s filled out and there is no box for SSN on the Address page which is where I’m stuck. The Next button just doesn’t work at all.

You could try putting a 0 on that second address line maybe. You can then later go edit it out.

• Like 42
  • Up 2

Another question. I am a US citizen but currently living in Europe and will continue to do so. Does anyone know if this is still required? My banking and everything else is still in the US. I filled out the form just in case (using my US address associated with my banking), wondering if I did this properly. I also sent a message to support just in case. Thank you in advance!

I’m sure it is required. Whatever address you use to pay your taxes from would be the one to use.

It is required if you made over $20,000 and had at least 200 orders.

• Like 39
  • Up 2