W-9 US Verification Requirement

mjensen415

Follow up question requesting clarification on the “Money earned or money withdrawn” point. Are “earnings” considered to be the full amount of the order or only the revenue earned by the seller less Fiverr’s fees? In other words, if I receive a $5 order, is that considered $5 in revenue or $4 in revenue?

I know this is a tax professional question, but I’m hoping @mjensen415 or some of the other US-based sellers can offer some guidance. Thanks!

• Like 38

Follow up question requesting clarification on the “Money earned or money withdrawn” point. Are “earnings” considered to be the full amount of the order or only the revenue earned by the seller less Fiverr’s fees? In other words, if I receive a $5 order, is that considered $5 in revenue or $4 in revenue?

I know this is a tax professional question, but I’m hoping @mjensen415 or some of the other US-based sellers can offer some guidance. Thanks!

I apologize, I just thought of another question: Are there plans in place to improve the revenue/order reporting sellers have access to for tax purposes? I ask because for the last five years I’ve kept an excel spreadsheet of my orders, revenue, tips, etc, which makes tax reporting much easier, but it’s a huge hassle. As it is, though, I cannot rely on Fiverr’s very generic analytics, which cannot be exported into any sort of manageable report. Being able to export relevant data - # of orders, revenue, cancellations, ratings, etc. would be incredibly beneficial to all sellers who keep track of these sorts of details, and would greatly assist the tax professionals trying to make sense of it all. Again, I appreciate your help!

• Like 38

Hi you don’t need a tax professional for your first question. It is what you earned meaning what you withdraw. That is your income.

Since I always withdraw my earnings to Paypal I use their statements. Nothing else is needed. I simply copy their statements of yearly earnings to give to my tax accountant.

• Like 39

Hi you don’t need a tax professional for your first question. It is what you earned meaning what you withdraw. That is your income.

Since I always withdraw my earnings to Paypal I use their statements. Nothing else is needed. I simply copy their statements of yearly earnings to give to my tax accountant.

As usual, @misscrystal comes through in the clutch. Thanks!

• Like 37

Thank you for your reply! I always introduce myself as Vietnamese, my profile also said that. So yes, my clients know my nationality and they accepted my job even though I’m not from their country. It’s not the problem.

I’m just afraid that, by this way, Fiverr may aim to give priority to the sellers from US because they pay taxes. Prioritize increasing impressions for US sellers for example. Just a thought of my own, but maybe?

Hardly. I think it’s a safe bet that Fiverr aren’t doing that because they have too much free time on their hands or love managing forms or want to prioritize US sellers, but to comply with applicable laws, as also stated in the opening post.

FAQ -

Why are you doing this?

When Fiverr is required under applicable laws, it will send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities.

If it becomes applicable law that Fiverr needs to collect and send such forms for/to other countries too, they will certainly do so. However, in any case, US taxpayer or not, all sellers are required to report their income and pay any taxes they are due (if they are above their country’s threshold and taxes apply), as stated in the ToS (and, of course, in their own country’s laws, regulations, etc.).

• Like 42

Don’t PayPal provide tax form 1099-K, if your earning exceeds $20,000 in a single calendar year?

• Like 36

From Fiverr on a browser: from your Dashboard, clic on your profile picture and select “Settings”. You will find “Form W-9” on the left column. It will be the last item of the list.

Hello, today I got a mail written,-“You may need to fill out Form W-9. Form W-9 is used in the U.S. for tax purposes. You are required to fill it out only if you’re defined as a U.S. person by the U.S. tax authorities”

So my concern is I’m from India and I don’t have U.S tax authorities coz I’m not a U.S person. Ok Now how can I make a U.S person verifications??? Please help me :pray:t2: As it’s said otherwise after 30 days gig will disappear. Please help me.

• Like 39

@maryamlodhi - are you a US citizen? If so, click “yes” … if not, click “no”. Nothing confusing about it.

Hello, today I got a mail written,-“You may need to fill out Form W-9. Form W-9 is used in the U.S. for tax purposes. You are required to fill it out only if you’re defined as a U.S. person by the U.S. tax authorities”

So my concern is I’m from India and I don’t have U.S tax authorities coz I’m not a U.S person.As they wanted to varify Indian documents. Now how can I make a U.S person verifications??? Please help me :pray:t2: As it’s said otherwise after 30 days gig will disappear. Please help me.

• Like 38

So my concern is I’m from India and I don’t have U.S tax authorities coz I’m not a U.S person. Ok Now how can I make a U.S person verifications??? Please help me :pray:t2: As it’s said otherwise after 30 days gig will disappear. Please help me.

Are you a U.S. person? —> No.

So you don’t have to fill any form 🙂

• Like 42