W-9 US Verification Requirement

mjensen415

Same here from Pakistan…

627464950_W-9Form.thumb.JPG.5cf8aebf646725e6c432e1a287010c17.JPG
W-9 Form1093×205 9.88 KB

And when I refresh the page, for few seconds there’s a question Are you a U.S person? with couple of options beneath it and circle keeps rotating on it like its refreshing then above image comes!!

• Like 49
  • Sad 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I am so confused now, can anyone explain me what is W9 form and what does it mean to someone who is not in US?

Ok, I am so confused now, can anyone explain me what is W9 form and what does it mean to someone who is not in US?

It is only for US citizens. No need to worry about it. It is our tax laws in action. Our government wants to make sure we are paying our taxes. Fiverr will be sending in how much we earn to our tax department.

For U.S. sellers: In case you are new to this, you will be seeing a 1099 form at the start of next year on fiverr in your account. It will be necessary to print that or make a digital copy if you e-file your taxes and include it with your tax return.

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

It is only for US citizens. No need to worry about it. It is our tax laws in action. Our government wants to make sure we are paying our taxes. Fiverr will be sending in how much we earn to our tax department.

For U.S. sellers: In case you are new to this, you will be seeing a 1099 form at the start of next year on fiverr in your account. It will be necessary to print that or make a digital copy if you e-file your taxes and include it with your tax return.

Thank you so much! Appreciate your help. 🙂

• Like 49
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

To anyone reading this who has a fake US seller account, don’t fill in the W9 form as if you are in the US. If you try to fake that you are going to be in trouble. It’s very easy to see if you use a fake SS number. That is easily verified online by anyone. You should notify customer support of your real country.
Fiverr will be notified if you submit an incorrect W9.

w9.thumb.GIF.1e357b0a17fdcdb7cd5a7d68be47d022.GIF
w91212×754 110 KB
  • Like 55
  • Thanks 2

Please consult your tax advisor.

She only needs to know if she is in the US or not. I’m sure she can figure that out. Even if she was in the US which she is not she doesn’t need a tax advisor to tell her how to fill out the W9. It asks for name address and SS number.

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

She only needs to know if she is in the US or not. I’m sure she can figure that out. Even if she was in the US which she is not she doesn’t need a tax advisor to tell her how to fill out the W9. It asks for name address and SS number.

Everyone, regardless of location, should consult their tax advisor so they know their local earnings tax laws.

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1

When it says 20,000 AND 200 orders, does that mean it won’t be submitted if you didn’t do one or the other?

Example: if someone made more than 20,000 but did it in 20 orders, will their information be submitted?

Many US sellers that I work with do their work through an LLC. W9s are really for individuals.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

When it says 20,000 AND 200 orders, does that mean it won’t be submitted if you didn’t do one or the other?

Example: if someone made more than 20,000 but did it in 20 orders, will their information be submitted?

Many US sellers that I work with do their work through an LLC. W9s are really for individuals.

I see that there is a place on the W9 to indicate if you are an LLC, sole proprietor, corporation etc.

Anyone who earned money on fiverr in the US will get a W9 to fill out. It makes no difference how many orders you have. This is to let the IRS know you earned money on fiverr, regardless of your business entity type.

• Like 47

I see that there is a place on the W9 to indicate if you are an LLC, sole proprietor, corporation etc.

Anyone who earned money on fiverr in the US will get a W9 to fill out. It makes no difference how many orders you have. This is to let the IRS know you earned money on fiverr, regardless of your business entity type.

I’m confused about the distinction in the FAQ then.

$20,000 AND 200 orders.

And I know someone who has made more and done a LOT more and has not been requested to fill out the W9.

• Like 45

I’m confused about the distinction in the FAQ then.

$20,000 AND 200 orders.

And I know someone who has made more and done a LOT more and has not been requested to fill out the W9.

$20,000 AND 200 orders.

I didn’t see that but it has nothing to do with the requirement for the w9. In the US anyone who pays someone is supposed to have them fill out a w9 so they can be sent a 1099 at the end of the year/start of next year.

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

$20,000 AND 200 orders.

I didn’t see that but it has nothing to do with the requirement for the w9. In the US anyone who pays someone is supposed to have them fill out a w9 so they can be sent a 1099 at the end of the year/start of next year.

I agree that it doesn’t have anything to do with the requirement. It does have to do with what they’ll do with that W9. Because this sounds like they aren’t going to send it in to the IRS if you don’t meet one of those two criteria.

And I’d like to understand better. That’s why I posted :).

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

I agree that it doesn’t have anything to do with the requirement. It does have to do with what they’ll do with that W9. Because this sounds like they aren’t going to send it in to the IRS if you don’t meet one of those two criteria.

And I’d like to understand better. That’s why I posted :).

Fiverr is required under applicable laws to send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in the said calendar year and had at least 200 separate order

That’s the first I’ve seen that. It must be in the newest IRS rules.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Fiverr is required under applicable laws to send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in the said calendar year and had at least 200 separate order

Yeah, that’s a confusing statement. It should be easy to hit both criteria but that’s not necessarily true.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that’s a confusing statement. It should be easy to hit both criteria but that’s not necessarily true.

A few years ago the IRS decided anyone who pays anyone anything should have them fill out a W9 creating an impossible sunami of paperwork for everyone in the country especially the IRS. So hopefully they recently revised that awful rule. Before if you paid someone $10 you would be required to make them fill out that form.

• Like 46

A few years ago the IRS decided anyone who pays anyone anything should have them fill out a W9 creating an impossible sunami of paperwork for everyone in the country especially the IRS. So hopefully they recently revised that awful rule. Before if you paid someone $10 you would be required to make them fill out that form.

I’m from Canada and had to fill out tax forms to sell my books on Amazon and Smashwords. I’ll wait and see if I have to do it again. It was a minor inconvenience.

• Like 49

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that Fiverr’s HQ is in Israel.

As such, a seller that is doing business on Fiverr is doing it with Israel, with the US.

W-8BEN is for non US citizen who do business with the US. But we do business with Israel, so I assume we don’t need to sign. And why US citizens do need to sign the W-9.

Also, what about non US citizens who live in the US, or US citizen who don’t live in the US?

I vaguely remember doing a search in the forum regarding the W-8, and it seemed like because Fiverr is not US based non-us citizen don’t need it.

Yes, but PayPal is US based as well as Fiver having a New York headquarters. Any company that wants to be able to lobby to the US congress must have a US subsidy in order to do so. That is why you often see a US version of a multinational. The IRS also rehires any monetary mediary to issue a 1099 independent contractor form for payments made above 20k or 200 transactions.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

No this rule law/rule was created in 2006 I believe but now with more digital services for the US economy its being enforced more.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1