W-9 US Verification Requirement

mjensen415

I got a notification and mail telling me to do this within 30 days to keep my gigs active, clicked it, got asked whether I am “a US person”, no, I’m a cat and dog person 😉 so I clicked “No”, done. (For now, I guess they may require equivalent forms be filled out in future if other countries’ tax authorities insist.)

Same here. Thank you for sharing this info.

• Like 37

I am a non us person. what I have to do now? will it be hampered in my account ?

image|608x398

I am a non us person. what I have to do now? will it be hampered in my account ?

You can send customer support that question on the same ticket as your other one.

Anyone who is still confused about this should probably ask customer support. They can explain it better.

We have a long thread now about this with people still asking what they should do so it’s obvious we are not doing a good job of explaining it.

• Like 34

You can send customer support that question on the same ticket as your other one.

Anyone who is still confused about this should probably ask customer support. They can explain it better.

We have a long thread now about this with people still asking what they should do so it’s obvious we are not doing a good job of explaining it.

Actually, I think the issue is that no one is doing a good job of reading the original post!

• Like 43

Hi Everyone,

In the next few day, some of you will see that we (Fiverr) will be asking sellers who are defined as a US Person* to complete a W-9 form regarding their activity on Fiverr.

You will receive a notification on the Fiverr website and an email message asking you to check your status within 30 days, in a form of a short questionnaire.

If in fact you are classified as a US Person*, you will undergo a short process in which you will fill in Form W-9 that contains standard business information to include your contact information, full address and tax forms.

Fiverr will not use the information submitted as part of filling the Form W-9 for any purpose, apart from sending a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities and update your billing address on Fiverr.

Please note that all sellers are required to check if they need to fill out a Form W-9, regardless of their place of residence. By not doing so, within 30 days, your Gigs will be subject to automatic deactivation.

Please read this article carefully for all the information.

FAQ -

Why are you doing this?

When Fiverr is required under applicable laws, it will send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in that year and had at least 200 separate orders.

Is “tip” considered a transaction?

Any transaction, including tips is counted toward the 200 transactions. An order and a tip are each seperate transatctions.

Is this for money earned or money withdrawn?

Money earned.

Will Fiverr will start to display our legal names anywhere, or is this all internal only?

In certain circumstances, we may disclose the data in your W-9 form, with applicable US tax authorities, or as otherwise required by applicable law. None of this information will be displayed publicly on Fiverr.

Please leave additional questions below.

*For a definition of “US Person” please read more here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/classification-of-taxpayers-for-us-tax-purposes

1.thumb.png.acc734c62ff8642893446d9e2a294cff.png
11065×475 12.1 KB

Hello I am a 17 year old seller, and I have no idea how to answer some of these questions (ex: asking for EIN employer identification number, individual proprietor, etc), could someone help me out? Also mjensen415 said that

When Fiverr is required under applicable laws, it will send a 1099 form at the end of the year to the applicable tax authorities. Currently, this applies to US-based sellers who earned at least $20,000 in that year and had at least 200 separate orders.

But I have earned barely $200-300 and completed under 10 orders, so should I be receiving this?

Also I checked and fiverr says that anyone above 13 can become a seller. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

• Like 38

@jacobbb23 Welcome to the Fiverr forums.
You can ask for them to help you fill it out, yes, but it’s your account, so the information must be about you. (If, IF, your income is large enough, you’ll be filed as a dependent under their taxes for the 2020 tax-year. For now, all you need to do is submit the info correctly and completely.)

@kevin_cu1 Welcome to the Fiverr forums.
You can skip the EIN section, since you probably don’t have one. (iirc, that says “if applicable”)
Likewise, you can ask an adult for help filling this out.

• Like 38

Hello I am a 17 year old seller, and I have no idea how to answer some of these questions (ex: asking for EIN employer identification number, individual proprietor, etc), could someone help me out? Also mjensen415 said that

But I have earned barely $200-300 and completed under 10 orders, so should I be receiving this?

Also I checked and fiverr says that anyone above 13 can become a seller. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

What do you need help with? It is correct you are a individual. Put your name address and social security number. You do need to fill it out per fiverr rules, but won’t need to pay any taxes since you will not have made over $600.

• Like 34

Actually, I think the issue is that no one is doing a good job of reading the original post!

It says on the first page of the form are you a US person or not. That seems to be the beginning of the confusion. We have people asking how to answer that.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

It’s really not. Just pick one. Are you a US citizen or not … ?

I like to think I’m a patient person, having raised 2 ornery children (the last one was - and is - a delicate, non ornery person) … but this confusion over something so incredibly simple is totally bewildering …

• Like 42

It’s really not. Just pick one. Are you a US citizen or not … ?

I like to think I’m a patient person, having raised 2 ornery children (the last one was - and is - a delicate, non ornery person) … but this confusion over something so incredibly simple is totally bewildering …

Maybe they don’t understand what this is for or why they are being asked if they are a U.S. person or not.

• Like 32