Why was Fiverr better few years ago than now?

bokiiii

Personally, I don't miss the Buyer Request option in the least. Of the almost 900 jobs I've completed here over several years, not one of them was a Buyer Request job. I never used it as it was filled with junk. Seriously. Sure, for brand new members to the platform it probably provided a great start for them, which would have made it worthwhile, but for me, it was a waste of time as I was getting jobs through buyers searching Fiverr for someone with my skills.

That being said, I still get the odd DM (one last night, even) from new sellers looking for work. I always politely explain that I'm using the platform in the same manner and that I'm "not hiring people." I wish there was a way to filter that kind of DM out. I do appreciate that Fiverr does block spam DMs for the most part. 

As for all the other changes, I think that Fiverr is trying to become a legitimate freelance platform but in order to do that, it also has to permit skilled and unskilled freelancers access. We live in a world of inclusion now. Nobody can be turned away. It is for that I think Fiverr could become a true leader in this industry. Besides, with programs such as Seller Plus (to help you build your career) to Top Rated Sellers (to help you access quality buyers) there really should be nothing to complain about regarding Fiverr - provided you use it as it was intended.

• Like 21
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, looseink said:

As for all the other changes, I think that Fiverr is trying to become a legitimate freelance platform but in order to do that, it also has to permit skilled and unskilled freelancers access. We live in a world of inclusion now. Nobody can be turned away. It is for that I think Fiverr could become a true leader in this industry. Besides, with programs such as Seller Plus (to help you build your career) to Top Rated Sellers (to help you access quality buyers) there really should be nothing to complain about regarding Fiverr - provided you use it as it was intended.

Fiverr already is a legit freelance platform, they even have TV commercials that air as well as Upwork. And yes everyone has the ability to join the platform regardless of their skill level, etc. But Fiverr can weed out the good from the bad by looking at reputations on this platform, the feedback from the clients. Fiverr simply isn't listening to those of us who are skilled and have been on this platform for a long time as well as built very positive reputations on this platform. 

Even with the over 1900+ jobs I have completed on this platform, my opinion does not seem to matter at all. They are choosing to not listen to logical explanations for situations that arise which is very unfortunate. They also don't care that they have such negative feedback online (BBB). Yet even me, as a 5 star rated seller with over 1200+ positive feedback ratings can't get Fiverr to listen to reason. 

I also have been a part of the Seller Plus program for about as long as it has been an option- at least a year I believe. And although I do have a Fiverr Success Coach, he has simply been an earpiece for me. He listens when I have issues happening and says he will see what he can do to help which is thoughtful. But other than that, he told me everything I could do to become a top rated seller and I did it all, fixed all my gigs and images, etc. Yet I still do not have that status. Fiverr chooses who they want to become top rated sellers and whatever criteria they have, it seems to be unreachable. Now I keep the coach to rant to and also so I can get paid a week earlier than usual. 

Then there's the top client issue: I created an e-learning course for a researcher employed at Harvard University, this was via Upwork. I provided them with the proof that I did work for them, my profile had Harvard as one of my clients for a few months, then recently they removed it. They now have said it is denied and I can send the same proof to try again. How weird. Same thing with the other clients I have worked with.

Removing gigs: Here is what I received when they removed my animation gig recently: "We kindly request that you adhere to our Non-original designs standards in our Community Standards and provide original, self-made images for your Gig. These images should accurately showcase the products you are offering, enabling potential buyers to make informed decisions."

Here's the thing, my gig image is EXACTLY what I offer. I took a screenshot from a video I created for my client using Vyond and they said that is "copyrighted." I have a Vyond subscription which legally allows me to create animation videos using their platform and sell those videos. My gig literally offers animation videos created with Vyond. So this is total nonsense. Every single animation gig on Fiverr contains an image of a video created using the specific animation software they use. This is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced with them. It is literal nonsense. 

But I get it in thinking there's nothing to complain about with the platform. I have made a lot of money on this platform as well. It has been a great source of income for me. When things are going well, they do go very well. Last year I hit 2 milestones in my business (8K month & 9K month) and I earned quite a chunk of that on Fiverr. But this year, the platform seems to be taking a turn for the worse. So unfortunately yes there are quite a few things to complain about with this platform. Things I haven't experienced with other platforms. Not being heard is not ok.

• Like 14
  • Up 7

I am a long-term and active buyer. I am tremendously frustrated with the changes to Buyer Requests. I posted a request 36 hours ago and I currently have no sellers responding to this request. I have complained about this change multiple times.
I am capable of dealing with the sellers responding that are low-balling or that do not match the request.
I would much rather have a lot of responses to comb through than none at all.

I will not post another request in the future. It's a waste of time.

I also do not 'TIP'...this feature is just a Fiverr hustle to get more fees. I would gladly 'tip' if they didn't charge fees on top of the tip.
I am getting to the point of going to other freelancer sites to find help with my projects.

Edited by kenvernon
  • Like 14
  • Sad 6
  • Up 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, looseink said:

Personally, I don't miss the Buyer Request option in the least. Of the almost 900 jobs I've completed here over several years, not one of them was a Buyer Request job.

I tried tons of times to reply to buyer requests and never had any luck. As you said, it seems like either spam or just a race to the bottom in terms of price.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the new system is any better. I’ve had a single order from the new system and they were not a good buyer. The thing I really don’t like is when someone writes “flexible” but they actually do have a budget.

• Like 11
  • Up 3

6 minutes ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

I tried tons of times to reply to buyer requests and never had any luck. As you said, it seems like either spam or just a race to the bottom in terms of price.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the new system is any better. I’ve had a single order from the new system and they were not a good buyer. The thing I really don’t like is when someone writes “flexible” but they actually do have a budget.

Yah. A lot of buyers seem to think that the term "freelance" means it's a free service...lol

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Up 4

Add me to the club of disappointed sellers. When I started 8 years ago, it was supposed you could make a decent income if you were a succesful seller. Not anymore. I´ve worked hard to keep my customers happy, and I´ve collected more than 1000 5 stars reviews in this time. Useless. I struggle to get 100 dollars a month, with a profile almost perfect (100% in everything). Never was promoted to Top rated seller. The promoted gigs ruined everything, because now we have to compete PAYING TO THE PLATFORM to get buyers. The algorithm is not showing the best sellers first, only the best sellers that PAY. This used to be a great platform. But I´m really sad to say that so many changes were not useful to give us more clients. Changes were made to increase their own revenue. 

• Like 15
  • Up 1

i have been a seller on Fiverr for nearly 10 years and now i'm very disappointed with this platform. Now they don't care anything about the seller because they have many sellers who works as a slaver for just few bucks and try to compete with others. Fiverr team now just try to earn as many fee as they can from both seller and buyer. Organic traffic is down day by day and you have no choice but to pay for promoted gig :D.

• Like 11
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I considered as a very long-time seller on the platform.
Fiverr now more focus of their fee than everything else, if you have talent, you wouldn't want to sell on this platform.

Now they are tons of way to promote your talent like TikTok, IG, YouTube, etc.

You can see that they are trying to change into more Professional freelancing image, but I don't think it's working right.
I'm a TRS and Pro seller, starting last year, you hard to get more than 5 orders a month.
Seller Plus is a useless piece of crap, same to Promoted gig, just wasting money.

Don't you guys notice all those big sellers on the platform seem keep quiet or leaving the platform these recent 2- 3 years?
Freelancing is not good due to the raise of A.I. , so fiverr is struggling as well.

• Like 14
  • Up 1

On 8/8/2023 at 2:34 AM, xuancar said:

Add me to the club of disappointed sellers. When I started 8 years ago, it was supposed you could make a decent income if you were a succesful seller. Not anymore. I´ve worked hard to keep my customers happy, and I´ve collected more than 1000 5 stars reviews in this time. Useless. I struggle to get 100 dollars a month, with a profile almost perfect (100% in everything). Never was promoted to Top rated seller. The promoted gigs ruined everything, because now we have to compete PAYING TO THE PLATFORM to get buyers. The algorithm is not showing the best sellers first, only the best sellers that PAY. This used to be a great platform. But I´m really sad to say that so many changes were not useful to give us more clients. Changes were made to increase their own revenue. 

I've been here since early 2014. I used to make 5 figures on here. I think I might have hit $1200 this year. While it's possible there are more sellers, many of the good buyers have left for other platforms. Fiverr has a ton of bad reviews online, so it's scaring away the good people. The only orders I get today are from my longterm clients. I expect to retire from Fiverr by the Fall, but we'll see. I think I will miss Fiverr, but not the scammers, of course.

• Like 13
  • Up 1

9 hours ago, meldawn9 said:

I've been here since early 2014. I used to make 5 figures on here. I think I might have hit $1200 this year. While it's possible there are more sellers, many of the good buyers have left for other platforms. Fiverr has a ton of bad reviews online, so it's scaring away the good people. The only orders I get today are from my longterm clients. I expect to retire from Fiverr by the Fall, but we'll see. I think I will miss Fiverr, but not the scammers, of course.

Why your prices are so low after so many years? I have seen writers charge $80- $100 for 500 words? 

• Like 11
  • Up 1

The algorithm system is a big challenge. To me, it doesn't give an accurate placement of where the seller stands. I had all my metrics at 100% and just one time after like 9 months, I had to cancel an order which was no fault of mine. This made my order completion rate to nose-dive to 87%. I mean, a buyer that has only one cancelled order in almost a year, 87%? Please!

• Like 9
  • Up 1

The big change over the years has been the sinking intelligence of buyers. Today they are barely able to order (many can't) and almost none can be bothered to click the "Accept" button. I recently got an order from a buyer who had last purchased from me in 2013. His level of intelligence was...OMG--almost normal! Ahhh the good old days.

• Like 14
  • Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 9:21 PM, mercurianus said:

Why your prices are so low after so many years? I have seen writers charge $80- $100 for 500 words? 

Seen, but unlikely to make that much. I did raise my prices to $50 one year and barely got any orders at all. I decided to drop them back down again and got tons of orders. But now there are so many writers on this site who sell 5000 words for $5 so it's just too much competition. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

On 8/3/2023 at 7:40 AM, shenteriamarie said:

Removing gigs: Here is what I received when they removed my animation gig recently: "We kindly request that you adhere to our Non-original designs standards in our Community Standards and provide original, self-made images for your Gig. These images should accurately showcase the products you are offering, enabling potential buyers to make informed decisions."

Here's the thing, my gig image is EXACTLY what I offer. I took a screenshot from a video I created for my client using Vyond and they said that is "copyrighted." I have a Vyond subscription which legally allows me to create animation videos using their platform and sell those videos.

Did you use that image for your gig image and did the buyer give permission? If the buyer didn't give permission for it to be used as a gig image could that be a reason it was flagged? And did you try using google to search for that image to see if something very like it already existed online which Fiverr system might have detected?

• Like 6
  • Up 1