Your preferred DAW?

manuelmarino

• 3 weeks later...

The first daw I ever used was audacity and that got me through for a while, but every since I picked up studio one by Presonus, I don’t think I’m ever changing. The layouts, the plugins, everything about it works exactly how my brain processes information. It feels like it was designed just for me and that’s special.

• Like 27
  • Up 1

I’m a Reaper guy about 3 years in. I am teaching myself audition because that’s what most VO’s are using and even though I really like Reaper, I’m not married to it. Studio One looks nice, and of course there is Logic since I’m a Mac person as well. I just want the one that either already has, or can be made to have the most productive and streamlined workflow.

I tried to get into reaper, but just couldn’t tbh, I heard it was really popular with Metal Producers, why is that?

• Like 28
  • Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • WaveLab Pro 10 for mastering; efficient, straightforward, render all formats.
  • Ableton and Max for producing; interactive, versatile, creative.

WaveLab Pro 10 for mastering; efficient, straightforward, render all formats.

Fantastic software. It is so powerful and simple at the same time.

• Like 28

I’m used to using Audacity, so when I downloaded Reaper it felt like a struggle to adjust (but I heard RX Elements isn’t compatible with Audacity so yeah). Not really keen on paying for the Adobe Audition license and not really into pirating it as well.

I guess if I can’t adjust to Reaper I can always use RX Elements as a stand-alone…?

Yes Reaper is a bit hard to learn however it is worth it trust me.

The reason I’m saying this is mainly the price of $60.

The second thing is incredibly stable, no matter what happens to your pc or whatever you throw at him he is not gonna crash.

And is very generous with the amount of power that it requires even with the massive projects.

I have a project from 2 years ago, a very complex one with 20 tracks and tons of plugins, the length of the project is 30 hours.

God bless the guy who created it.

The only issue that i have with it is the out of the box theme, i hate it. But there are a lot of themes to choose from so it’s not that of an issue.

• Like 29
  • Up 1

Yes Reaper is a bit hard to learn however it is worth it trust me.

The reason I’m saying this is mainly the price of $60.

The second thing is incredibly stable, no matter what happens to your pc or whatever you throw at him he is not gonna crash.

And is very generous with the amount of power that it requires even with the massive projects.

I have a project from 2 years ago, a very complex one with 20 tracks and tons of plugins, the length of the project is 30 hours.

God bless the guy who created it.

The only issue that i have with it is the out of the box theme, i hate it. But there are a lot of themes to choose from so it’s not that of an issue.

Yeah, I will try to learn it when I have time. I’m just not very tech savvy in general, hahaha. 😂

• Like 26
  • Up 1

I use FL Studio, but seems like a lot of people out there are dissing FL. Like, I pick FL Studio because I’m well-experienced with that DAW and even released my three albums and one EP with that.

Tried Ableton Live, not my vibe, even though they support MPE in the 11th version now.

EDIT: I’m also a fan of “buy once for a lifetime” type of people because I don’t like recurring payments.

• Like 28

I tried to get into reaper, but just couldn’t tbh, I heard it was really popular with Metal Producers, why is that?

I think because it is powerful, very customizable and it’s very inexpensive. I think the price is what is most attractive to the metal producers for some reason. There is a metal producer on YouTube who uses Reaper and talks in many of his videos about why he switched from ProTools. I like the ability to customize the screen layout and you can make up complex programmed commands and assign them to keyboard shortcuts.

• Like 28

I use FL Studio, but seems like a lot of people out there are dissing FL. Like, I pick FL Studio because I’m well-experienced with that DAW and even released my three albums and one EP with that.

Tried Ableton Live, not my vibe, even though they support MPE in the 11th version now.

EDIT: I’m also a fan of “buy once for a lifetime” type of people because I don’t like recurring payments.

Don’t worry about what others think of your chosen DAW. If it works for you and helps you put out great sounding music and audio, then go for it! If it sounds good, IT IS GOOD!

• Like 27
  • Up 1

Don’t worry about what others think of your chosen DAW. If it works for you and helps you put out great sounding music and audio, then go for it! If it sounds good, IT IS GOOD!

I totally agree with you. I use a certain DAW because I’m familiar with that, and that’s enough for me.

Different DAW is not an obstacle as long as you have Stems, right?

• Like 29

• 3 weeks later...

I typically utilize ProTools for all of my professional work… but I have been slowly moving more to editing audio on DaVinci Resolves Fairlight editor. It is just so intuitive and well laid out. Plus, for all of the beginners, it’s got a free version and when you’re ready to advance it’s a one time payment vs. a subscription based editor.

• Like 28

• 1 month later...

I have enjoyed using Adobe Audition as it has so much power and capabilities to use their included effects to clean up audio for my voice overs. plus, if I don't want to work on fine tuning the included effects, Audition works really well with third party plug-ins. I highly recommend using Audition for voice over work. 

• Like 32

• 3 weeks later...

Know it's an old thread but I use Adobe Audition and have since...forever. For me it's easy of use and integration with other Adobe design products that I use make it a no brainer.  I still use ProTools if a client calls for it, but Audition is my go-to. 

• Like 33
  • Up 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2021 at 8:30 PM, newsmike said:

Agree, plus you get that world class support from Adobe if you need it. If you use Reaper and something goes wrong, you are screwed. 

Didnt know Adobe had a DAW. Will have to check it out sometime. Is also supporting engines like Kontakt ?

I have used many DAWs, mostly Cubase and Reaper in the past. But since I got Ableton, I wont go back. It has the best User interface and has lots of drag and dropping.

• Like 31
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 9:58 PM, manuelmarino said:

Also it's been the best software for audio in the 80s and 90s.

Welllllllllllllllll that's definitely their (Digidesign and Avid's) opinion. I have been using it for a SUPER long time, probably since 2002. And let me tell you it's been a rough ride. They had excellent marketing, even coining the term "industry standard" for themselves. 

I still use it daily, and it's basically the only one I do use on the regular because I'm so experienced. But that doesn't make me blind to the fact that every time someone else came out with a feature, Pro Tools stole it for the next release. Only since they moved away from the RTAS format of plugins has it been working the way it always should have, and even then it was a buggy mess until the last update to version 11.

• Like 28

• 2 months later...

The Manley VoxBox plugin for the Apollo Solo is great for female voices. A one sweep correction and you are good to go! If you want to know what my settings are just message me.

Also: Izotope RX 8 now integrates with the new MAC M1!!! This correction powerhouse also has a "one sweep" for mouth noise and an overall fantastic noise corrector. 

• Like 45
  • Thanks 4