Your preferred DAW?

manuelmarino

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FL Studio is by far the best for the annoying piano roll composer that I am (ok, I am not that incompetent but you get it). It is also the most immediate to use and complete out of the box. Ableton may be simpler and even faster but its abstract visual presentation makes up for a certain learning curve that I didn’t want to put up with. The workflow and docked pipeline isn’t exactly my type of stuff either.

Reason has a great rent-to-own model and is the biggest bang for the buck if you exclude FL. Unfortunately, its lack of third party support stopped me from ever considering it as I love plugins from Native Instruments.

Bottom line is if I was playing live, using real synths and doing a lot of plunderphonics – toying around with samples and all – I would’ve got Ableton in a heartbeat. I however know for a fact that I will be purchasing that and Max in the very far future!

@marcotoba late answer but did you go for Logic? Logic seems far better than Studio one IMHO and it has a lot of feedback to justify itself.

• Like 24

FL Studio is by far the best for the annoying piano roll composer that I am (ok, I am not that incompetent but you get it). It is also the most immediate to use and complete out of the box. Ableton may be simpler and even faster but its abstract visual presentation makes up for a certain learning curve that I didn’t want to put up with. The workflow and docked pipeline isn’t exactly my type of stuff either.

Reason has a great rent-to-own model and is the biggest bang for the buck if you exclude FL. Unfortunately, its lack of third party support stopped me from ever considering it as I love plugins from Native Instruments.

Bottom line is if I was playing live, using real synths and doing a lot of plunderphonics – toying around with samples and all – I would’ve got Ableton in a heartbeat. I however know for a fact that I will be purchasing that and Max in the very far future!

@marcotoba late answer but did you go for Logic? Logic seems far better than Studio one IMHO and it has a lot of feedback to justify itself.

Reason has accepted VST plugins for years now 😉

🙂

• Like 24

Reason has accepted VST plugins for years now 😉

🙂

I’m sure, but NKS? That’s the point. No NKS to my knowledge and too many hoops to jump through for any feasible workaround. No way I’m buying NKS plugins and libraries and Native Instruments gear if I can’t get the Kontrol interface going! :man_shrugging:

• Like 23

I’m sure, but NKS? That’s the point. No NKS to my knowledge and too many hoops to jump through for any feasible workaround. No way I’m buying NKS plugins and libraries and Native Instruments gear if I can’t get the Kontrol interface going! :man_shrugging:

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. Seeing Reason developed a good control interface many years before NKS, it probably isn’t a thing they would bother to pick up as it always feels that when another Dev creates a competing control system (that they don’t always share) that they are corralling their customers more than improving things for anyone.

I have no idea about Reason and NKS but I think is it not a thing. NKS users would know so check in Forums (Reason Talk maybe you can stand the sniping in that place).

🙂

• Like 24

Am old-school here, I miss Cool Edit Pro

Am waiting for someone even more old-school to say “I miss quarter inch reel to reel machines, a chinagraphic marker, and scalpel”.

Actually, I do miss chinagraphic markers…

Cool Edit Pro… now that was great piece of software. Back in the very early 2000s (possibly very late 90s) I found release 1 was truly mind-blowing for all the features it offered. Release 2 was a very polished version and a joy to use. From memory it was created by Syntrillium and later bought out by Adobe who renamed it as Audition.

And yes, I miss quarter inch tape and chinagraph pencils! Ah, the memories…

Wow tape, sounds like a lot of work. And what are chinagraph pencils?

• Like 24

I have experience of using Audacity. What I have experienced initially was that If you are looking for recording music/audtion or starting a podcast; It is cubersome to start with.

Audacity is really not DAW in the same sense as Reason (my preference and what I edit podcasts in), Cubase, Logic, ProTools etc.

Audacity is for basic editing and no more. It does what it does fine but is inelegant in the extreme for serious work (it is free).

Move to a real DAW as soon as you can. Probably you will need to buy a Microphone* and that will require an Audio interface to plug into (for a pre-amp). Most of those come bundled with a lite version of DAW. That will get you there for recording and basic editng.

There are even some things out there that you can use anyway like Studio one Prime but most are either very limited in features to get you on their wagon or just as nasty to use as Audacity.

🙂

*USB Podcast mics are almost always a bad joke, esp seeing you can buy something like a Behringer XM8500 + Audient evo4 for less (and get Cubase lite). Invest in a good mic stand as positioning helps heaps.

• Like 26

I still think that the combination Cubase + Wavelab is one of the most powerful. Used together, the quality you can reach is State of the Art. Means the maximum quality available thanks to modern technology and professional skills. I could not work without them, so thank you Steinberg.

• Like 26

annoying piano roll composer that I am (ok, I am not that incompetent but you get it).

I am also a piano roll user and i must say, FL has the best piano roll. I used fl for 9 years and now i have shifted ti ableton. And here i can feel the pain of to having fl’s piano roll​:expressionless:😑

• Like 25

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a Reaper guy about 3 years in. I am teaching myself audition because that’s what most VO’s are using and even though I really like Reaper, I’m not married to it. Studio One looks nice, and of course there is Logic since I’m a Mac person as well. I just want the one that either already has, or can be made to have the most productive and streamlined workflow.

• Like 26

• WaveLab Pro 10 for mastering; efficient, straightforward, render all formats.
  • Ableton and Max for producing; interactive, versatile, creative.

Oh really? Yes I use WaveLab for mastering, it just makes your life much easier when working on big projects, isn’t? 😉

• Like 23

• 3 weeks later...