Your preferred DAW?

manuelmarino

Well... I purchased about 2010 FL Studio, but since I decided to do more mastering than mixing, but also mixing and I feel comfort and like the tools Studio One Pro has, I choose this one. For now I own an Ur22 from Steinberg, a singular 2x2 interface and with a splitter I can send signal to the compressor I have (Alesis 3630) and from the Alesis outs to the ins of the Ur22 and my monitors. Simply while mastering I did a trick about making the 1st stage fader down and using the Pipeline about gear integration, so i can assign the master outs and the ins, working fine with the gear I have. For these questions and the great support I choose Studio One.

• Like 29

On 1/17/2022 at 11:34 PM, marcosgomes343 said:

Well... I purchased about 2010 FL Studio, but since I decided to do more mastering than mixing, but also mixing and I feel comfort and like the tools Studio One Pro has, I choose this one. For now I own an Ur22 from Steinberg, a singular 2x2 interface and with a splitter I can send signal to the compressor I have (Alesis 3630) and from the Alesis outs to the ins of the Ur22 and my monitors. Simply while mastering I did a trick about making the 1st stage fader down and using the Pipeline about gear integration, so i can assign the master outs and the ins, working fine with the gear I have. For these questions and the great support I choose Studio One.

The only thing is about the mixing part being cohesive for this trick, so the mastering project out of this technique because it's a single interface with 2x2, but works fine about songs so I process after that in the project.

• Like 29

I use Cubase 11 Pro to write and mix. When it's time to master, I use Wavelab 11 Pro. It's dead simple to transfer a project from Cubase to Wavelab, and vice versa. Each new release is much easier to use than the last. I wish Steinberg had an equivalent to the Push 2.

When I'm editing audiobooks or podcasts, I almost exclusively work using Wavelab 11 Pro. The Audio Montage is practically made for this type of work, and having a tight workflow that gives me quick access to a spectrogram, comprehensive metering, and a great selection of plugins makes work a breeze...not to mention features like auto ducking (with controllable volume envelopes).

I'd never judge anyone for using Fruityloops. If the workflow makes sense and it helps you make the music you love, use it. 

Edited by bigbeardvo
  • Like 27
  • Up 1

On 2/3/2021 at 2:31 AM, manuelmarino said:

I still think that the combination Cubase + Wavelab is one of the most powerful. Used together, the quality you can reach is State of the Art. Means the maximum quality available thanks to modern technology and professional skills. I could not work without them, so thank you Steinberg.

So glad to see another member of team Wavelab/Cubase

• Like 28

• 1 month later...
  • frank_d unfeatured this topic
On 5/8/2021 at 6:37 AM, gangester said:

Yes Reaper is a bit hard to learn however it is worth it trust me.

The reason I’m saying this is mainly the price of $60.

The second thing is incredibly stable, no matter what happens to your pc or whatever you throw at him he is not gonna crash.

And is very generous with the amount of power that it requires even with the massive projects.

I have a project from 2 years ago, a very complex one with 20 tracks and tons of plugins, the length of the project is 30 hours.

God bless the guy who created it.

The only issue that i have with it is the out of the box theme, i hate it. But there are a lot of themes to choose from so it’s not that of an issue.

Is that $60 a month?

• Like 21
  • Up 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:30 PM, newsmike said:

Agree, plus you get that world class support from Adobe if you need it. If you use Reaper and something goes wrong, you are screwed. 

Thank you so much for this information, Newsmaker! I thought about changing, but probably would have asked about support. You have saved me a lot of time researching though. 

• Like 22

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Newer answer: Harrison Mixbus v7 (because I own v7, but will for the future possibily upgrade). Intuitive, good style compressors (leveller is my favorite); analog emulated with accurate algorithms, not so expensive for what gives; accurate analysis after bouncing (if you wish), supports VST, AU (macOS), LV2 plug-ins formats running into Windows, macOS and Linux environment. Good support via phone calls, good community some options on the go like pressing shift for looking maximum and minimum LUFS things, well... my DAW of choice! PS: Other DAWs are good too, just my opinion.

Edited by marcosgomes343
  • Like 13
  • Up 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2020 at 2:33 PM, manuelmarino said:

I think any of us has at least one DAW to produce our ideas. I’ve got a powerful system made of 2 DSP hardware cards from Sonic Core (if you remember, it was Creamware, few years ago). It’s a very complex system but really very powerful. I’ve got also another DAW, (I’m a very happy Steinberg customer) and the two machines are positioned in a huge desk (in a “L” form). So I pass my day moving my armchair between the two positions 😊

Sounds like a very interesting workflow. 👍

What do you use the Sonic Core portion for? Low-Latency monitoring and mixing?

Have you also got experience with their instrument emulations?

I mainly run a combination of Nuendo and a bit of Bitwig (love the intergrated patching there). But from time to time and depending on the project also other DAWs, but I definitely feel most at home in Nuendo/Cubase. 

On 11/25/2020 at 3:39 PM, manuelmarino said:

Any of you use DSP cards to empower your system? or software only?

Only the humble DSP that comes with RME cards, but I keep hoping we finally get better supported GPU audio in the coming years.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

This opinion is coming from the perspective of being a full-time voice actor who rarely produces final projects for clients.

For overall performance I really like Reaper. Highly customizable, very powerful, and the learning curve isn't terrible. If you're recording spoken word and also in need of a solid production tool you can buy a license for this pretty cheap ($60 for the base license last I checked, with a slightly more expensive license once you earn over X dollars).

If you aren't producing projects and are primarily recording voice-overs like myself I prefer Adobe Audition CC though. It was seemingly really built around spoken word recording, with multi-track and other tools appearing to be add-ons, but not the main course (you have them if you need them, but you don't have to work with them or with any complex controls to get the job done). All of the controls are extremely intuitive for voice acting without almost any customization needed. 

If you're a voice actor after something free and intuitive though, I'm still a big fan of Audacity. I switched to Audition because I needed to be able to run live plugin emulations, but if I didn't I would have stuck with that (Audacity actually offers the ability to use live plugins now I believe). I built a successful full-time voice-over business on the back of Audacity and while it's very limited from an editing perspective (destructive editing, bleh) it's still a solid program overall.

• Like 9

On 9/27/2023 at 2:35 PM, texvox said:

This opinion is coming from the perspective of being a full-time voice actor who rarely produces final projects for clients.

For overall performance I really like Reaper. Highly customizable, very powerful, and the learning curve isn't terrible. If you're recording spoken word and also in need of a solid production tool you can buy a license for this pretty cheap ($60 for the base license last I checked, with a slightly more expensive license once you earn over X dollars).

If you aren't producing projects and are primarily recording voice-overs like myself I prefer Adobe Audition CC though. It was seemingly really built around spoken word recording, with multi-track and other tools appearing to be add-ons, but not the main course (you have them if you need them, but you don't have to work with them or with any complex controls to get the job done). All of the controls are extremely intuitive for voice acting without almost any customization needed. 

If you're a voice actor after something free and intuitive though, I'm still a big fan of Audacity. I switched to Audition because I needed to be able to run live plugin emulations, but if I didn't I would have stuck with that (Audacity actually offers the ability to use live plugins now I believe). I built a successful full-time voice-over business on the back of Audacity and while it's very limited from an editing perspective (destructive editing, bleh) it's still a solid program overall.

Thank you for explaining the 3 DAWs! Since this post, I invested in a Whisper Room too. I hate to say it… but it really was a game changer for the quality of the audio. The only sound I can’t overcome is a plane flying directly above me and the air conditioner. 

A New Whisper Room will set you back about $8,000 USD. For me, I saved until I could pay cash. Although business still goes up and down, I feel Confident that no matter what order comes my way, I will be able to send it out with a professional sound. A Digital Audio Workspace will work best if your environment is rumble, hiss, barking, crying, door shutting, refrigerator and buzz free. The recording environment truly makes the difference and you can make a good walk in closet work… it’s just I was sick of working in a hot fort. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Audacity, Reaper, and Cubase. But I've settled with PreSonus Studio One 6 as my preferred DAW. Simply for the fact that I love the workflow. I can't say that I'm a fan of how most of the popular DAWs are going towards the subscription payment model, but I guess that's the direction of most softwares in the SaaS industry.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think each DAW has it's own ups and downs. For me it's all about using them to your advantage. I use Pro Tools and Logic. Mainly if I need something simple or if I'm working with MIDI i'll use logic, but if I'm mixing or mastering and I need a good workflow I'll work with ProTools. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm too invested in Ableton Live now to change my ways - but if I had to start over I think I would choose Reaper!

Or at least keep Ableton for creating but Reaper for mixing. 

I get everything I need done in Ableton but I do see features in other DAWs for mixing that look very useful and time saving and I really like the look of Reaper custom scripts.

Perhaps one day I'll get it set up in a way I like ...

• Like 2