Testing improvements to the rating & review system

Kesha

On 12/8/2023 at 3:39 AM, venonusa said:

the private review data is not shared with the seller and this makes everything unclear for the seller and how to improve the service.

Unfortunately! That's true! I am experiencing the same issues, even after good reviews my gig has gone down from promotion, from searches,when contacted customer support I was told that "my gig is no qualified because of quality issues which can't be disclosed " leaving me clueless about what went wrong or what things in need to improve. Still sitting blank and clueless, waiting for my gig to get better impressions only in the name of god! 

• Like 28

12 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Do they show the final review score before you press Publish? Like it showed in the initial image posted by Kesha?

I didn't proceed through the full thing. I'm wondering if the seller gets a rating in one category but not the rest for a partially filled review.

• Like 23
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, moikchap said:

I didn't proceed through the full thing. I'm wondering if the seller gets a rating in one category but not the rest for a partially filled review.

I see that a lot of sellers have 4 star reviews so this new review system is definitely working if Fiverr wants to eliminate the overwhelming amount of perfect reviews people get every day. We'll see, but at least in the last few days I saw quite a lot of 4 star reviews with great texts attached to them, so the way the rating is calculated with those emoticons is quite strange. Because in general, people tend to seem very happy.

• Like 28
  • Sad 1
  • Up 3

Exactly, one of my clients put 4 stars saying he was sure he chose the highest rating. Something is not working because clients do not seem to first understand how to do it.
I hope the beta test will be fixed or cancelled, because for now for me, it is just a confusing method of voting.

• Like 24
  • Sad 1
  • Up 4

2 hours ago, urvah_tr said:

I feel like it will affect the 24 hour delivery services negatively.

Well a lot of 24 hour buyers don't even leave reviews. Actually it will be very bad if you are dealing with extremely demanding buyers, regardless of price or quick delivery. Fiverr needs to show buyers exactly how each option affects the review. Because as everyone said, a simple emoticon can easily ruin the reputation of a seller, so that's not exactly great. More transparency is better, and honestly I don't see emoticons as a professional way to rate people. Use it for the fun categories, but when it comes to a professional service.. I much prefery the very bad/very good route or just stars..

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 23
  • Up 11

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

Well a lot of 24 hour buyers don't even leave reviews. Actually it will be very bad if you are dealing with extremely demanding buyers, regardless of price or quick delivery. Fiverr needs to show buyers exactly how each option affects the review. Because as everyone said, a simple emoticon can easily ruin the reputation of a seller, so that's not exactly great. More transparency is better, and honestly I don't see emoticons as a professional way to rate people. Use it for the fun categories, but when it comes to a professional service.. I much prefery the very bad/very good route or just stars..

I saw a glimpse of it from the buyer's side (getting some art for my game has its perks 😄). It seemed... easy enough; I chose a few fitting options and the emojis and left a review. From what I've seen, it turned up as a 5-star review (I checked to make sure.) 

It didn't feel particularly tough to choose the right things, BUT I do feel like for buyers who just rush through things, it could feel overwhelming. I had time while I was on the train, so it didn't feel bad, but I can imagine it impacting a review if someone's in a hurry and not paying much attention to what they're doing. 

That being said, I do agree on it not feeling very professional, if that makes sense? Like, I'm actually working on a soon-to-be commercial project. Emojis don't really make me feel 'business owner' as much as 'passion project do-er'. I'm sure some would disagree with this (and I do think that colours/pictures help in some situations, but I'm not sure how I feel about them in this context. 

Then again, we have to roll with the changes. At least it does look like good reviews are possible (but I'm a bit concerned about how buyers seem confused... That kinda stuff COULD affect us, so...)

• Like 22
  • Up 11

Can you please add a scheduling message system in the Fiverr chatbox? Sometimes it is late-night on the client side. But we need to send an important message that we may forget later. So a scheduling message system can help us that messages can be sent in a client's morning time.

• Like 23
  • Up 2

I just received one of those "You still have time to review (whoever's) order!" and it reminded me of a long-standing problem I have with the review process: I don't know who this is. I have to leave the review page to check what order it's in reference to. I can have up to ten orders going on at a time, sometimes I receive multiple deliveries a day. I don't know these names. I need to be shown the delivery or at least the gig. I have no idea what order it's in reference to sometimes when all I get is a name.

• Like 18
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 1

The new system is very problematic and is confusing to me an my customers...

My customers would like to know if they are happy with my work (= 5 stars in the Fiverr system) - what do they have to do so i get 5 stars now?

One of my loyal customer which has done a lot of work with me and is very happy with my work would like to give me 5 stars - but he is not able to do that and allways have to reach out to the Fiverr Service so they correct it from the automatic 4 stars to the 5 stars he wants to provide to me... Cause he is fully satisfied with my work (as allways)...

What has a buyer to do so they seller gets still 5 stars?
(Is it all about the third page that he is forced to create a review with at least 40 words)?

Pls think about this beta-system - and stop it as soon as possible.
That make no sense - when a customer wants to give 5 stars to a seller - there should be no big obstacles for him to do right that...

• Like 18
  • Up 9

Are we all enjoying the transparency yet, children?

I would like to propose a secondary emoji system running alongside the first emoji system to really get buyers thinking about their order and how satisfied they were with it: 

🙈🙉🙊

I'm not sure how it works, but I'm sure the emoji science boffins at Fiverr can figure it out. Alternatively, may I suggest using cups? 

Video just so everyone knows what I mean. But I have a special Fiverr twist to add... 

The buyer must play 5 rounds of guess the cup, with each round representing a . If they miss, then, well, maybe the 😝 emoji works. This is a good idea because:

1. Emojis are the new black
2. Buyers will have fun playing this classic game of family fun over and over again. 
3. Sellers will enjoy this new and transparent rating system because you will like what you are given
4. Fiverr will like this because they can code it to be easy and/or difficult depending on whether the day's star quota has been met. 
5. Stockholders will do weirdo Wolf of Wall Street noises when they hear about how much dough Fiverr is making from their bizarre wonderful new feedback system. 

What's that, you say? 

Well star quotas are simply a fun way to gamify giving people reviews.

Every day there will be a limit of 100,000 stars (or whatever, who cares). Once they're up, they're up, and sellers get no stars, but a 💀 emoji. Or a 👁 emoji. It doesn't really matter. However, what makes star quotas brilliant is that stars can be purchased for a reasonable, let's say $5 (plus 5.5% transaction fee and $2 small order fee). They can only get as many stars as the buyer managed to win though.

So it's not cheating your way to 5 stars. 

I hope this helps, Fiverr!  

• Like 17
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rapidtech1898v2 said:

Thats what i don´t understand - how can a seller finally gets 5 stars with the new system?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's impossible 😄

Maybe you need to tick "Level of innovation" to get those 0.5 😅

Everything for the sake of "a more modern, reliable rating & review system that will encourage freelance business growth... empower customer decision-making, and enhance trust between freelancers and customers."

In my opinion, it's just another terrible update, which will perfectly fit the awful layout for non-visual gigs. I also think that this emoji 🤩 has to be replaced with this 😍. Many people will never use hearts (showing love?!), so it's a win-win situation!

The review process has to be simple, and this update makes it even more puzzling. 

Both reviews (public and private) have to be in a single form. Take a look at Airbnb, where you can send a private review right before writing a public one. 

By adding more screens, buttons, fields, and all other things... I don't want to dive into the details, since it will be 99.9% implemented like that. 

And by the way, can we finally get that "Payments for active orders" block working?

Okay, I will go and think about how to make my translations and videos more innovative 🫡

Edited by vovkaslovesnyy
  • Like 29
  • Up 1

@Kesha I don't understand, why do private reviews have to exist?

Private reviews seem like you're telling the client that they first left an untruthful public review, but now we're asking to client to leave a hidden truthful review... it seems like the system doesn't trust what customers say in the public reviews... so if the client decided the first time not to leave a public review, after a few days we send a second email to the client ( and it can annoying/irritating ) by asking to leave a private review, so having irritated the client for sure they will leave a private negative review ( for the system's fault.... )

According to my purchasing habits the best thing is to leave a review only when client accepts the order and client must also have the opportunity to refuse to leave a review, and this review to respect freelancer work and for compliance with clarity should be visible to everyone, so that the freelancer can improve himself work and other buyers can decide whether to buy from that seller or not.

• Like 17
  • Up 12

17 minutes ago, venonusa said:

Private reviews seem like you're telling the client that they first left an untruthful public review, but now we're asking to client to leave a hidden truthful review...

You can leave a private review without leaving a public review. I have given a seller a bad private review once without giving them a public review, as I did not like their work. It would have been equivalent to a 3-star public review or similar, but I did not feel like leaving that in public—the reason being that I have been harassed by sellers in the past for leaving a negative review. One even went as far as to try to find Instagram profiles that he thought looked like me and presented them to me, likely to threaten me. None of them looked like me, so I got him to stop by asking him if he thinks all white people look the same.

Sometimes, you just don't want the hassle of a seller going crazy over a fair review. For this reason, I like the private review. However, I do feel it should be presented at the same time as the public review. As you say, it's annoying to have to leave feedback twice. 

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 20
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2

37 minutes ago, vovkaslovesnyy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that's impossible 😄

Based on the review I made (which I believe ended in a 5-star review - AND was intended to be one) and a few I got that I realise could have been made with the new system, I think it either:

- The images above really are just to show us the system, and they aren't 'linked' to each other.

OR

- We might actually need to tick a certain amount of boxes for the review to be a 5-star. 

The second option does NOT sound like a good idea (at all), so I'm going to say it's likely the first (though I do feel like in this case if it were me, I'd have updated the images to show the actual stats in order to avoid misunderstandings. I understand that it's tricky, but I think it's important to showcase the features relatively accurately.

All in all, I hope that buyers will just get used to the new system relatively soon (and that IF the goal is actually clarity, buyers will know that our ratings might shift a bit as Fiverr is experimenting with new systems. 

13 minutes ago, venonusa said:

Private reviews seem like you're telling the client that they first left an untruthful public review, but now we're asking to client to leave a hidden truthful review.

This is how I feel as well. Some people might appreciate being able not to show their name (if they had issues during the order/etc.), but I feel like, for the most part, it's just...a bother. Another page to fill in, make sure it's correct, etc. I GET the point behind them, but worry about their impact...

• Like 18
  • Up 4

With the new system, I just got a 5-star review, so I guess just check all the boxes.

But honestly despite the fact that I feel great about the platform and that I've been working on it for years now, there's an underlying policy that I can't love. The freelancer always feels, or at least it happens to me, a bit crushed by the algorithm.

I know it's the surest way to ensure that the quality of work is high, so let's just say that over time I've learned to deal with it. I mean to deal with the score going down if you don't respond to new clients within 2 to 3 hours at the most, if you don't deliver the product on time, if the client throws a tantrum and in spite of agreements made asks for a thousand revisions, which in the end I always more than willingly do because for me it is crucial that the client is satisfied with the final work.

But this beta testing of reviews I find terrible. I think there needs to be more clarity for the seller as well, I think the review should be only one and public and only then it can improve the client's work, and I think if everyone's score is going to go down (as it will because some of the options in the boxes are unrealistic to tick), then the average to be top rated (always be above 4.7) should also be revised.

Also, an important update for me could be to limit the customer's ability to request revisions according to the number of revisions actually purchased and not indefinitely. This would allow more deliveries in a short time and more objective reviews by the customer. Which then, I actually wonder why the stars were not, no one ever forced a customer to click 5 stars rather than 1...

• Like 20
  • Up 3

42 minutes ago, vibronx said:

Sometimes, you just don't want the hassle of a seller going crazy over a fair review. For this reason, I like the private review. However, I do feel it should be presented at the same time as the public review. As you say, it's annoying to have to leave feedback twice. 

This is the only reason why I agree with it - I've had that happen as well. I personally don't love running after buyers to make sure all is good either (I know it's technically good practice and TRY to do it but it feels so off to me.) I feel like there should be a way to ensure that the reviewing process isn't... I don't know, just annoying to do? Especially if you order a lot of things continuously, it gets bothersome. 

• Like 18
  • Up 6

On 12/11/2023 at 11:52 AM, katakatica said:

This is the only reason why I agree with it - I've had that happen as well. I personally don't love running after buyers to make sure all is good either (I know it's technically good practice and TRY to do it but it feels so off to me.) I feel like there should be a way to ensure that the reviewing process isn't... I don't know, just annoying to do? Especially if you order a lot of things continuously, it gets bothersome. 

I totally agree. I definitely have many issues with the private reviews as they are now—both from a buyer and seller perspective—and it's a very annoying process if you order a lot of things. It's just important to note that some sellers get absolutely deranged when they get a bad review, and a lot of people on this forum never buy anything or do so very rarely, so they don't get to see that side of things. And it really has to be seen to be believed.

But as it is now, it doesn't make much sense. If you give a buyer a negative review, they can punish you with a negative private review of their own. It isn't very logical.

• Like 20
  • Up 5

2 hours ago, vibronx said:

But as it is now, it doesn't make much sense. If you give a buyer a negative review, they can punish you with a negative private review of their own. It isn't very logical.

They could make any review shared by a seller for their buyer hidden until the private review period is over, then it appears on their page. That would allow transparency on both sides, and sellers can speak their mind instead of being worried about a bad review. I agree, the current system allows buyers to be very vindictive if they receive a bad review. Some don't care, but there are a few that do.

• Like 22
  • Up 5