Make the price cheaper and send the offer

olyasr

I don't know if you guys have ever had to deal with buyers like that. I've had one of my regular buyers do this lately.

I say a price and a deadline. For example, "the total price is $50", and he says, "Make it $40 and send the offer." That is, he doesn't even ask if I agree to do a discount .

How do you deal with something like this? I'm a bit confused, because I DO NOT want to make a discount 😁, and I have to repeat the same price again. And I don't want to be rude, but seriously, what should I say?

• Like 14
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, olyasr said:

"Make it $40 and send the offer."

Ohhhhh that sounds quite familiar.
They completely choose to ignore my price and say
"Lower it to $40"
"There was another seller offering it for $30"
"Give me a better price" etc etc.

It's simple, I just say I cannot lower my price because it's unfair towards the other buyers who has agreed to pay in full.
That's all I need to tell them, if they don't like it, it's their problem!

Edited by zeus777
  • Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Up 3

You explain that based on your experience and reviews, your prices are fixed. People will always ask for a discount and some sellers say yes. That's why they always ask, it never hurts and at most the seller will say no. I had people ask for discounts on $5 orders so.. 

• Like 17

Forget about lowering your prices.  You can ask them a question if you want to continue working with them. The question is, "are you happy with my translations? The answer is going to be yes. Once they reply, you tell them they are happy because you provide accurate and verified translations at a low price of 50$. They are paying for your knowledge and experience and assurance that they will not get error-strewn work, and the price is already ridiculously low. If they want fast translations that may have errors, they can probably find them with another seller at that price point, but that's not the low-quality service you provide.  Don't worry about losing customers by doing this. Your clients are buying YOU, not just your services. Remind them of that. Remind them of your punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, over-delivery, etc. The problem with the price discussion is that it assumes that quality is the same. It's not. There is always a cheaper (professional expert) plumber. And they are cheaper because the more expensive plumber has to come and repair the flooded house. 

• Like 15

I've tried (and sometimes though rarely) to turn it around a bit. Say, if they are asking for 3000 words but they can only afford 2000 I will say 'for that price, I can do a little less...' kindly. Of course with fixed things like drawings / logos this might not work but it's something at least!

• Like 10

It totally depends on you. If you want to make a discount, do it, if you don't want then say No and tell them your price is fixed, quality comes with a price.

for me, I have many buyers who keep asking for a discount, but I know they are my regular buyers and they keep coming for the work, I offer discounts at regular prices which makes both of us happy with the price.

See, this is how it works in offline and online Jobs... competition is bit higher side here.

• Like 8

I go a step further than that, actually. It's not enough to get clients to agree to a price, I want them to be enthusiastic about it. I don't want to charge $100, the client asking to make it $80, and then reluctantly agree to the $100. If they ain't happy with the price, I don't want to work with them. They'll be nitpicky, entitled, and think they are doing me a favor for going with my rate. They are not. They'll try to "get their money's worth". That's a dangerous client. I need to know they are comfortable and happy with the price, or else they will be better served by going with someone else.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

I need to know they are comfortable and happy with the price, or else they will be better served by going with someone else.

The problem is a lot of people will try to undercut prices. It's human nature and they can't help it. I agree with you 100%, people shouldn't be reluctant to buy something, they need to be excited. Otherwise yeah, they will be a pain to deal with. I can attest that from my own experiences. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

I go a step further than that, actually. It's not enough to get clients to agree to a price, I want them to be enthusiastic about it. I don't want to charge $100, the client asking to make it $80, and then reluctantly agree to the $100. If they ain't happy with the price, I don't want to work with them. They'll be nitpicky, entitled, and think they are doing me a favor for going with my rate. They are not. They'll try to "get their money's worth". That's a dangerous client. I need to know they are comfortable and happy with the price, or else they will be better served by going with someone else.

It's hard to take the temp of a client when it comes to anything really. Price included. Some seem happy with the price. But will give you a bad rating in the end because you didn't perform the task entirely to their letter. Even if the specifics they provided were scarce, or a jumbled mess. I've had clients appear happy with my delivery. But leave no review, or don't mark an order as complete. I've also had lukewarm clients in my inbox who've provided steller reviews when all's said and done. It's a crap shoot really.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

Yeah. I find it very helpful to have a call prior to order start, much easier to judge their attitude that way.

I'm not a fan of calls unless it's a big project. I write screenplays and do narrative design and level design for games. Those are big projects, so if someone demands a voice call on zoom before getting started, I have no problem with it. But for something simple like a press release, or a movie synopsis, I think a client should have all their ducks in a row before ordering. And know what they want, and don't want. I've hired poster and logo designers on multiple platforms without a call of any kind. Because I already know what I want. Down to the lettering, colors, imagery, aesthetic, etc. So transmitting it to them via inbox is actually quite simple.

Edited by nickj2013
  • Like 9

This kind of clients asked extra works next time if you reduce the price according to his/ her budget. You should explain what you can offer with the price and this is my price under this condition. So then he will agree to the offer you made or select a cheap seller than you

• Like 9

When it's a returning client, I can have some considerations. But if it's a new a client, I'll stick with my quote except (when business is slow). But the moment the new client mentions "I have someone willing to do it for $30", I'll politely decline and tell him to work with the person. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 1:02 AM, newsmike said:

Good luck

Yes. It's important to end with that. It gives the more perceptive types a chance to think again, even if they only could focus on the start and end of your message and not on what's between, or can even save you the hassle of long explanations in order to achieve that. 😉 Or to cut the time short, when you know you'd not mind not working with them anyway, and are perhaps even dreading them agreeing to your actual price, after all. 

My actual replies vary, as they depend a bit on the situation and person, but basically, something along the lines of "quality costs and I'm not willing to compromise on the quality I deliver". Or "Good luck." 🙂

You could also always tell them they can bargain over your prices with your secretary, Swifty, in person, at [insert shifty bar of renown in buyer's homeland], but that's only if you know they are DaMooch forum post readers.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1