Handling spam messages

Kesha

At Fiverr, we strive to maintain a safe and secure platform for our users. While we have certain security measures and protocols in place, we encourage you to remain vigilant for spam messages while engaging on our platform.

Spam messages are defined as any unwanted and repeatedly occurring communications that are disruptive to the recipient’s experience. These messages often aim to deceive users into engaging in compromising behavior. Examples of common scams to look out for include false payment requests, offline communication requests, and phishing. Here are some tips to help you detect spam messages:

• Our Customer Support team will never ask for your password, credit card information, or any other personal details. If for any reason we need to verify your payment information, we will only ask for the first six or the last four digits of your card.
  • Fiverr’s Customer Support team will never contact you through your Fiverr inbox. All communications from them will be through a support ticket.
  • All order-related payments are handled through the order process on our platform. We will never contact you about an outstanding balance or send a QR code or payment link for payment.
  • Users with deceptive intentions may encourage you to communicate or do business off the Fiverr platform. To avoid violating our Terms of Service and leaving yourself susceptible to a scam, never share your email address, phone number, or other contact information with users. If an off-platform order goes wrong, we will be unable to advocate for you or help you recover financial losses.
  • Be cautious of threatening messages, such as account lockout, debts, or legal threats. These are common tactics used by hackers. 
  • If a user sends a suspicious link, hover over it to verify it’s not directing to a malicious site before clicking it. 

Spam messages can occur in a variety of different forms. If you are unsure of the validity to a particular message, always feel free to report it or reach out to Customer Support. For more information on managing spam messages, visit our Help Center article here.    

• Like 111
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 17

• Kesha featured this topic
Posted (edited)

Will something like this be be emailed/messaged to all Fiverr sellers? Or new sellers who create a new gig?

Will Fiverr be stopping buyers/sellers from putting "Support Fiverr" (or "Fiverr Support") in their display names, or having any display name that contains "Fiverr"? That would help prevent a lot of scams. Is there a reason they haven't stopped them entering that already (when scammers have been doing that for a while now)?

Is Fiverr also able to stop the QR code scam images being sent (by doing automated checks of images)? 

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 62
  • Up 21
  • Thanks 4

Thank You so much for the updates. I have also one query related to this topic. When we receive any message from the scammers (In the shape or form of a Buyer), our response rate could decrease if we don't replay on the spot or within 1 hour. So my main question is, can we reply once, "Thank you for reaching out." like this to maintain the response rate? Please let me know or share all professional experiences and how we can avoid these. Thank you.

Best  Regards

Muhammad Hanif Butt

Chartered Accountant

• Like 46
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 2

This is a great start!

I do think (as @uk1000 mentioned as well) that sending it to everyone would be the best course of action as well.

One thing I probably would change (which is funny because I'm a chatterbox!) is shortening this a bit and maybe adding some visuals / etc. Some people who fall for those scams might not read such long messages (I for know that if it was in my 3rd, 4th or 5th language I'd probably skip it because it's not so easy to get perhaps.)

But I'm glad that the issue is being seen. The spam that's been on the site (and on here lately) been quite a big issue, so working against it would be great!

(Again - if Fiverr ever wanted to have some funny comics that explain site safety / etc I'd love to help!) 

• Like 57
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Kesha said:

we encourage you

Glad to see that this issue has been seen.

However, if the same thing, a brief kind of message (warning) is shared or prompted to buyers while they're placing the order, it'd also inform them not to engage or do scams.

• Like 46
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/30/2024 at 12:16 PM, uk1000 said:

Will something like this be be emailed/messaged to all Fiverr sellers? Or new sellers who create a new gig?

Will Fiverr be stopping buyers/sellers from putting "Support Fiverr" (or "Fiverr Support") in their display names, or having any display name that contains "Fiverr"? That would help prevent a lot of scams. Is there a reason they haven't stopped them entering that already (when scammers have been doing that for a while now)?

Is Fiverr also able to stop the QR code scam images being sent (by doing automated checks of images)?

On 5/30/2024 at 1:44 PM, katakatica said:

I do think (as @uk1000 mentioned as well) that sending it to everyone would be the best course of action as well.

One thing I probably would change (which is funny because I'm a chatterbox!) is shortening this a bit and maybe adding some visuals / etc. Some people who fall for those scams might not read such long messages (I for know that if it was in my 3rd, 4th or 5th language I'd probably skip it because it's not so easy to get perhaps.)

But I'm glad that the issue is being seen. The spam that's been on the site (and on here lately) been quite a big issue, so working against it would be great!

(Again - if Fiverr ever wanted to have some funny comics that explain site safety / etc I'd love to help!)

On 5/30/2024 at 3:01 PM, farhan_editz said:

However, if the same thing, a brief kind of message (warning) is shared or prompted to buyers while they're placing the order, it'd also inform them not to engage or do scams.

These are all some great points and questions guys. I agree that sending this out to everyone will be beneficial. I am going to send the feedback to the appropriate channels so we can collaborate on solving the spam issue. Thanks! 

• Like 46
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, virtuoso_ca said:

Thank You so much for the updates. I have also one query related to this topic. When we receive any message from the scammers (In the shape or form of a Buyer), our response rate could decrease if we don't replay on the spot or within 1 hour. So my main question is, can we reply once, "Thank you for reaching out." like this to maintain the response rate? Please let me know or share all professional experiences and how we can avoid these. Thank you.

Best  Regards

Muhammad Hanif Butt

Chartered Accountant

Hi! If you report a message as spam, the message will not negatively impact your response rate. As an extra measure of protection though, you can feel free to reply to the message with a short vague response like the one you shared. 

• Like 43
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

No hard feelings Kesha, but how is Fiverr handling spam? Today, the forum is again spammed with posts selling drugs and inviting to Telegram. Sure, spam can happen on any platform, but daily? It's been "2 hours" since that raid happened and still, the posts are not removed and are right there on the front page (if we sort by date).

image.png.7798430a547027e805f3e9b28181f214.png

If such a large platform needs this much time to remove spam posts and fulfill its responsibilities, then I think it should give some leniency to sellers too and not directly severely punish them if they're somehow making mistakes by contacting outside the platform and falling into scams with those Telegram users.

I mean, responsibilities should be fulfilled by both parties, and I have seen big platforms come to an end. It's now or it will be too late, so please take some steps and do something. What that something is, I don't know! But everything is going wrong with this platform, including increasing spam, frauds pretending to be Fiverr support, false bans, and whatnot!

Edited by rawque_gulia
  • Like 35
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2024 at 1:42 AM, rawque_gulia said:

No hard feelings Kesha, but how is Fiverr handling spam? Today, the forum is again spammed with posts selling drugs and inviting to Telegram. Sure, spam can happen on any platform, but daily? It's been "2 hours" since that raid happened and still, the posts are not removed and are right there on the front page (if we sort by date).

If such a large platform needs this much time to remove spam posts and fulfill its responsibilities, then I think it should give some leniency to sellers too and not directly severely punish them if they're somehow making mistakes by contacting outside the platform and falling into scams with those Telegram users.

I mean, responsibilities should be fulfilled by both parties, and I have seen big platforms come to an end. It's now or it will be too late, so please take some steps and do something. What that something is, I don't know! But everything is going wrong with this platform, including increasing spam, frauds pretending to be Fiverr support, false bans, and whatnot!

Hey @rawque_gulia, thank you for bringing this up, we are currently working on flagging any spam users in the forum as well, and have taken steps that will hopefully make these posts less frequent. We appreciate you speaking up on it, and don't hesitate to DM me should you continue to see the influx of these posts next week. 

• Like 38
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

The issue you have mentioned- This is really pathetic. Mostly New Seller are facing these issues. I am getting that kind of post every day in our Local community group.

A small request- give a restriction who are using your Name as username like Fiverr Support. Fiverr guy, Fiverr Pro etc.

@Kesha

• Like 30
  • Up 4

Hackers/spammer are always ahead and they tend to find innovative ways that work seamlessly. I assme that this is the biggest problem of such marketplaces. Fiverr on the other hand is very proactive and super fast in blocking such conversations but, more or less, its the same old cat and mouse game.

• Like 30
  • Congrats! 1

On 5/31/2024 at 3:40 AM, j_almojera said:

still getting a lot of messages asking me to go to a certain platform (t e l e g r a m).  :classic_sad:

Sorry to hear that! As we work to solve the issue, I encourage you to report each of the messages as they come. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

I didn't suffer from this yet, I'm new here, but any company of this size with great talent should utilize AI for security to flag certain strings/patterns and delete or contain the messages before reaching the sellers inboxes.

I know the team is doing his best,
Thanks for the heads up.
Regards,

• Like 32

@Kesha My most significant issue is people who contact me asking to work for me. They do so on the gigs I am charged over $1.00 per click to promote. I have grown so disgusted with this issue that I have canceled promoting except to pay $0.05 per click because I am sick of losing money to these beggars. Is Fiverr doing anything to deal with this issue? If I contact CS, would I get a refund for such messages?  

• Like 37
  • Sad 1
  • Up 6

3 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

@Kesha My most significant issue is people who contact me asking to work for me. They do so on the gigs I am charged over $1.00 per click to promote. I have grown so disgusted with this issue that I have canceled promoting except to pay $0.05 per click because I am sick of losing money to these beggars. Is Fiverr doing anything to deal with this issue? If I contact CS, would I get a refund for such messages?  

I face this as well. Certain gigs of mine are on the promotion and I'll be charged more than $1 per message (click) while most of those messages are from newbies begging for work. 

In addition, the famous telegram lot now as well use my 'promoted gig' to reach out to me. 

They should be appreciated though as they're making Fiverr some bucks xD.

• Like 25
  • Up 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

Truly disgusting! I had to stop promoting one of my gigs in April. I didn't even wait till the end of the month. It was insane! 320 clicks by April 26, and counting!!! Worst of all is that not only did I have to pay for all of those fraudulent clicks (scammers and beggars) but I also had to reply to the messages!!! 😡

Edited by maitasun
  • Like 23
  • Sad 1
  • Up 5

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, maitasun said:

Truly disgusting! I had to stop promoting one of my gigs in April. I didn't even wait till the end of the month. It was insane! 320 clicks by April 26, and counting!!! Worst of all is that not only did I have to pay for all of those fraudulent clicks (scammers and beggars) but I also had to reply to the messages!!! 😡

Hear me out FIVERR:

What if you charge us higher CPC and even double the CAP but charge us only when a text/click converts into a full-fledged order!! 

<pretty please... TIA from all of us>

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 23
  • Up 7

Sorry but I am very new to selling in Fiverr....does Fiverr charge a fee every time we get one of these scam messages? I've had ONLY scammers since my gig went live. I can't afford to pay for Fiverr to make money from scammers when I'm trying to make a living. 

• Like 19
  • Congrats! 1

13 minutes ago, sjpearson said:

Sorry but I am very new to selling in Fiverr....does Fiverr charge a fee every time we get one of these scam messages? I've had ONLY scammers since my gig went live. I can't afford to pay for Fiverr to make money from scammers when I'm trying to make a living. 

No. Fiverr would never charge for these type of scam messages. Don' worry about it. Just report them simply and never ever provide any personal details whoever asks you for it on Fiverr as Fiverr would never do that.. Avoid it.

• Like 22
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

On 6/4/2024 at 11:13 PM, priyank_mod said:

What if you charge us higher CPC and even double the CAP but charge us only when a text/click converts into a full-fledged order!! 

On 6/4/2024 at 5:15 PM, maitasun said:

On 6/4/2024 at 3:50 PM, rabihumakhan said:

Certain gigs of mine are on the promotion and I'll be charged more than $1 per message (click) while most of those messages are from newbies begging for work. In addition, the famous telegram lot now as well use my 'promoted gig' to reach out to me. They should be appreciated though as they're making Fiverr some bucks xD.

On 6/4/2024 at 3:44 PM, vickiespencer said:

My most significant issue is people who contact me asking to work for me. They do so on the gigs I am charged over $1.00 per click to promote. I have grown so disgusted with this issue that I have canceled promoting except to pay $0.05 per click because I am sick of losing money to these beggars. Is Fiverr doing anything to deal with this issue? If I contact CS, would I get a refund for such messages?  

I understand how frustrating this is, especially since this type of scam has direct financial ramifications. I have passed your concerns to the product team to bring these things to their attention. Thanks for sharing these perspectives with us!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

You want to fix spam? Make every new account cost 1-5 bucks (Fiver makes more money and spam dies overnight).

The reason why spam is so bad is because someone can make a ton of free accounts and spam nonsense before the system catches them. I've had "Pro buyers" give me spam before and they hadn't even made a purchase so it might help to actually have ... literally any requirements to have a pro buyer. A new seller might see a pro buyer and feel more safe clicking their links or interacting with them. 

Edited by dereck_s
typo
  • Like 23
  • Up 6