Jump to content
  • 0

The Issue with Finding Buyers for your Services.


midnightstarr20

Question

Hello,

I am one of those people who find it hard to find work on Fiverr. I am introverted and I don't have any friends. I did read all the suggestions about how to find buyers, but I do have problem with one of them: Social Media.

So far on this platform, I have found scammers wanting me to get off the site and onto telegram (Which I will never do because that is breaking Fiverr rules). You can also find scammers looking for job seekers on Social Media. I've been on many Facebook groups and the major of those jobs posted there are from scammers. So, social media isn't the best place to find work through Fiverr. The same goes for LinkedIn and other social media sites. So anyone suggesting to post that you are looking for clients on social media, should not be doing that anymore.

There is only one way, which is unfortunate for me, and that is to find friends or family members in real life to become your first client. That way, one will get a testimonial and a referral. I don't have any family members that I know of that is not willing to ask me help them. Many of them live in a country where I can't read and write in their language (That's a story that I don't want to get into here).

I know that Fiverr used to have a place here that helped Buyers find Sellers, but I guess that's where the majority of the scammers were. Maybe Fiverr should be like Upwork and find the Buyers, but scan them to see if they are legit. That might be a bit easier. What do you think?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Well Fiverr is launching a new Professions feature, and sellers will be found that way. I don't think it will be available for everyone, it certainly isn't avaiable for everyone at launch, you have to be invited. That being said, there are scammers on UpWork too, I assume you didn't find any. In general, it's as hard to get work on Fiverr as a newcomer as it is on UpWork. If anything, the gig system visibility is better on Fiverr in my opinion. I created a few Fiverr-like services on UpWork and the only time I got a client was a dude that took the work and asked for a refund because it wasn't what he wanted. No revision, nothing mentioned of what was ok. So yeah, they are both very similar, and the chances of getting scammed are equal.

What I have a problem with on Fiverr is the amount of spam messages I get sometimes. And they are getting creative. They are leading you to fake websites created just to grab your Fiverr info so they can login and take your money. That's why people need to be very careful....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi! I also faced a client crisis period. It is normal. However, you can overcome it. Yes, get clients on Fiverr from outside the marketplace. You can also use effective keywords and stay active to rank higher. Sooner or later you will have 1 visitor messaging you. Convince and get the order. Once you get orders, the chain begins and try not to lose even a single buyer. Moreover, keep avoiding scammers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

They should bring back Buyer Requests. And yes they could scan the buyers to see if they're legit (including checking for display names like "Support Fiverr" that still seems possible to use despite Fiverr creating a policy against it) and they could check the text of the request is valid and the price requested is reasonable and allow users to flag bad buyer requests.

Even though there's Buyer Briefs now, there's a lot less of them and there's not much control of them. So there should be buyer requests as well as briefs.

20 minutes ago, midnightstarr20 said:

There is only one way, which is unfortunate for me, and that is to find friends or family members in real life to become your first client

I think it would be risky to do that on Fiverr in case Fiverr thought it wouldn't be legit/that the review might be biased.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Well Fiverr is launching a new Professions feature, and sellers will be found that way. I don't think it will be available for everyone, it certainly isn't avaiable for everyone at launch, you have to be invited. That being said, there are scammers on UpWork too, I assume you didn't find any. In general, it's as hard to get work on Fiverr as a newcomer as it is on UpWork. If anything, the gig system visibility is better on Fiverr in my opinion. I created a few Fiverr-like services on UpWork and the only time I got a client was a dude that took the work and asked for a refund because it wasn't what he wanted. No revision, nothing mentioned of what was ok. So yeah, they are both very similar, and the chances of getting scammed are equal.

What I have a problem with on Fiverr is the amount of spam messages I get sometimes. And they are getting creative. They are leading you to fake websites created just to grab your Fiverr info so they can login and take your money. That's why people need to be very careful....

Wow! A new feature? Really?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Well Fiverr is launching a new Professions feature, and sellers will be found that way

Though "professions" seems quite similar to the "skills" option that already exists (eg. Fiverr can ask you to create a profession that's just a reworded version of one of your existing skills from your profile). Though you can only click on a skill on a profile which will take you to other sellers with that skill, so they can't e search properly like professions probably will, but it's a bit duplicated and people who create professions have a high chance of failing the ID check and also it's more restrictive about photos and you have to upload projects I think (which no buyer might have allowed). The option to add "professions" asks you to enter skills there too, though we already have a separate skills list on the profile, so it's kind of duplicating what we already have.

Though Fiverr has messed up some of the skills (eg. reworded one of mine to something different).

Edited by uk1000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
15 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

The option to add "professions" asks you to enter skills there too, though we already have a separate skills list on the profile, so it's kind of duplicating what we already have.

The only thing is that they say it will be available as a separate catalog. So I don't know how this works exactly, but from their wording, buyers will be able to enter the regular search for freelancers, or they can search for professions and find freelancers who fit that professions. Newer ways to be found never hurt anyone, and here you might actually get some extra work. 

  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hello,

Sorry for the late response. I know that there a scammers even on Upwork. They're everywhere. Even though I sound new, I have been on the platform for years. I've even tried to sell my services on Social Media and that didn't work either. I know that it also takes time too. My issue with all this is patients and not being good at marketing.

But I still think that Social Media isn't the best way to get clients.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...