Beware for this new Scam?

xshay99

2 hours ago, catwriter said:

It shouldn't be difficult. Especially since nobody but Fiverr is supposed to use Fiverr's logo (and that includes gig images, not just profile pictures).

They already check gig images and then give "not an original image" message (or warning/deny gigs for it) if it exists somewhere on the web. Either they're not checking profile image or they're not checking the buyer's profile image when they should be.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7
  • Up 4

10 minutes ago, catwriter said:

And yet there's no reaction if Fiverr's logo is used in gig images.

A TRS in my category - primary gig image is a presentation ON/ABOUT Fiverr. This single screenshot has used different variants of Fiverr logo like 8-10 times. 🤦‍♂️

And there are so many others who use 'superlatives' for themselves with Fiverr logo to sound officially recommended by Fiverr. 

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 7
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, priyank_mod said:

A TRS in my category - primary gig image is a presentation ON/ABOUT Fiverr. This single screenshot has used different variants of Fiverr logo like 8-10 time

Maybe for gig images the checker doesn't detect it if it's not the whole image. If it's a smaller Fiverr logo in the corner of the image or there's a lot of other differences in the whole image compared to one online then it probably won't think there's a match. It also might depend on when that gig image was created (whether it was added/re-added before or after the "non-original image" check was added).

• Like 6
  • Up 2

19 hours ago, uk1000 said:

For new users who don't know as much about how Fiverr works who get a message from "Fiverr support" (display name), with Fiverr's logo on things very soon after creating their first gig it won't be as easy for them to know if it's fake compared to someone who has been on Fiverr for a lot longer and knows how it all works and what to check.

That means they didn't read the TOS, documentation, etc. Also, that they are not familiar with how literally any big platform / service works. No bank / brokerage / work platform does that. None. It's common sense, internet literacy. If you don't have that, I don't see how you can run a successful business online, you're lacking critical thinking skills.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, catwriter said:

It shouldn't be difficult. Especially since nobody but Fiverr is supposed to use Fiverr's logo (and that includes gig images, not just profile pictures). I mean, that AI would help a lot to weed out all sorts of scammers (including sellers who use Fiverr's logo in their images or profile pictures).

It shouldn't be difficult, but...

dec.JPG

• Like 7
  • Up 2

And I agree that the systems in place are not working, btw. Even when people are flagged, nothing happens - I've flagged some profiles that are in clear and direct violation of TOS, multiple points, and guess what? Their profiles and gigs are still up. Nothing happened.

However, at a certain point it's impossible to control, it's always up to the user. It's a cat and mouse game, there are always ways around any system implemented to deter scammers. However, if I don't give anyone my information, under any pretence, then I can't be scammed, and no system (that can be exploited) is needed. It's the only solution that always works.

• Like 5
  • Up 3

I have no idea whatsoever about the rules regarding the use of the word "Fiverr" in usernames, but if it's prohibited, it's not difficult to identify them.

No need for AI or a team of engineers to create code. I managed to do it in 3 seconds. Just click here: https://www.fiverr.com/search/users?query=fiverr&page=1&offset=0
There are 6 pages of them!

If the use of the word Fiverr is not prohibited, it's a serious mistake, both in terms of security and brand image. Fiverr's legal and marketing or communication services know this better than we do... 

• Like 5
  • Up 7

27 minutes ago, carineb said:

No need for AI or a team of engineers to create code. I managed to do it in 3 seconds

That's just the sellers though. It can be the buyers that do it (and there's millions of buyers and probably less than million sellers).

But since there are a quite a lot of sellers with "Fiverr" in their username, like I suggested, they could put something above the inbox message saying that it wasn't official Fiverr staff/Fiverr (to help reduce the chance of phishing) if the message is from an existing user with "Fiverr" in the username. Though it's probably newer accounts that might do that and more likely buyer-only accounts (no gig). But they could prevent new users from using it in their username and display name.

Though there's no search option for us for display name and the buyers who scam can put "Fiverr Support" in their display name. It would be really easy for them to check though.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6

@kubracorl I am not sure what country you're in, what bank you're using, or what their regulations are. However, some banks (in some countries) always provide free insurance in case of burglary in lockers or cyber fraud online. Everyone has their own regulations, depending on the country and banks. Some provide insurance, while others do not.

For example: I am insured up to $6,000 (5 lakh Indian currency) -- for free of cost, without even applying for insurance anywhere. Banks won't tell you these things upfront so they don't have to compensate and bear the loss, but you should definitely do some research online or maybe consult with a lawyer (consultancy fees for lawyers are very cheap nowadays).

• Like 4

On 3/12/2024 at 12:01 AM, uk1000 said:

It's a security problem if Fiverr allow any Fiverr users to call themselves "Fiverr Support" in their display name. Maybe that's a new problem that only happened because they quite recently added the "display name" field to profiles. So they could prevent that. They could also check any new usernames or display names that start with "Fiverr" so that only real Fiverr staff can have those. They could also do image analysis of the profile image to make sure no one other than Fiverr can use their logo. In fact that are lots of phishing attempts from usernames like that. Fiverr could put a check on those usernames that automatically flagged them for a manual check and didn't allow them to do anything on site until approved.

It probably wasn't because you just completed your registration that you got the phishing message. eg. if you just joined Fiverr and completed the registration, as long as your browser wasn't compromised no one else should know (unless you joined the forum etc or unless they're checking sitemap type stuff or doing a seller search on the site (but for that they'd need part of the username)- but maybe it would require a gig first). It would have been after you created the new gig that they most likely noticed as your new gig would have appeared in the "new arrivals" sort on the site.

It does say to "keep payments and communication within Fiverr" and scanning the barcode could have sent you to any website.

You could tag one of the staff members if you want them to reply to your post here.

It is not a hard task for the Fiverr's security to immidiatelly recognize these spams.

• Like 4
  • Up 2

Fiverr should take instant action who do such kind of spamming.

The main thing they are using Fiverr logo. Can you believe it that scammers are using Fiverr logo to scam Fiverr 🤨

• Like 4
  • Up 1

Fiverr does have special Fiverr logos in the inbox. Here's the most recent example I could find in my inbox. 

image.png.ad695f7ad8a4ec3e485d1e50923dd8d4.png

I am not sure that this is documented anywhere, though. And I don't think it would be terribly obvious to anyone that this was how Fiverr signalled a staff account unless they had already gotten one from staff. 

• Like 6
  • Up 2

57 minutes ago, emmaki said:

Fiverr does have special Fiverr logos in the inbox. Here's the most recent example I could find in my inbox. 

image.png.ad695f7ad8a4ec3e485d1e50923dd8d4.png

I am not sure that this is documented anywhere, though. And I don't think it would be terribly obvious to anyone that this was how Fiverr signalled a staff account unless they had already gotten one from staff. 

About a year and a half or two years ago, I received a message from someone claiming to be from Fiverr. They asked me to send over a presentation outlining my services and experience for social media promotion.

It didn't quite seem like a scam, but the situation wasn't very clear. There was no concrete evidence proving they were a staff member, nor was there anything definitively signaling a scam, but I had doubts.

I received 2 or 3 follow-up emails. I didn't respond. I never found out if they were really from Fiverr.

If indeed they were part of the staff, it's proof that there's an issue in how they can be authenticated within the messaging system!

Edited by carineb
  • Like 5
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, teodoraafp said:

Should I report? 

Yes, it would be best to report the message so other people don't get scammed by the user and so Fiverr staff know. And in theory it should keep your response rate high (if they fixed the bug where it didn't and you had to reply to spam).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7

Guest kubracorl
On 13.03.2024 at 14:52, rawque_gulia said:

@kubracorl Hangi ülkede olduğunuzdan, hangi bankayı kullandığınızdan veya düzenlemelerinin ne olduğundan emin değilim. Ancak bazı bankalar (bazı ülkelerde) dolaplarda hırsızlık veya çevrimiçi siber dolandırıcılık durumlarına karşı her zaman ücretsiz sigorta sağlar. Ülkeye ve bankalara bağlı olarak herkesin kendi düzenlemeleri vardır. Bazıları sigorta sağlıyor, bazıları ise yapmıyor.

Örneğin: 6.000 $'a (5 lakh Hindistan para birimi) kadar sigortalıyım - ücretsiz olarak, hatta herhangi bir yere sigorta başvurusunda bulunmadan. Bankalar size bunları önceden söylemezler, dolayısıyla tazminat ödemek ve zarara katlanmak zorunda kalmazlar, ancak mutlaka internette biraz araştırma yapmalısınız veya bir avukata danışmalısınız (avukatların danışmanlık ücretleri günümüzde çok ucuz).

I informed my bank that the transaction was fraudulent, but they claim that they are not responsible since it was a 3D Secure payment. I have already filed a complaint with the Turkish Bank Association Arbitration Committee (TBBH), but I am not optimistic about the outcome.

The main problem here is that Fiverr refuses to take responsibility for the fraudulent transaction. I will now share with you the details of my conversation with a Fiverr Supervisor.

Guest kubracorl

Subject: Lack of Support Update from Fiverr Support Team

Dear All,

I am writing to provide you with an update on the lack of support I have received from the Fiverr support team regarding my recent issue.

After initially contacting the Fiverr support team via email, I received a response from a Fiverr Supervisor. However, the response did not offer any solutions to my problem.

I have also made the necessary applications to my bank, but I have not received a positive response from them either. Fiverr continues to deny any responsibility for the issue.

I am not sure if my email will reach the management team, but I have filed a complaint with the relevant authorities against Fiverr. I hope this will be effective.

I will also be sharing this situation on other social media platforms.

Thank you for your support.

@catwriter @uk1000 @webcut @imagination7413 @carineb @emmaki @az_design1 @rawque_gulia @visualstudios @katakatica @zerlina84 @creativecolumn @priyank_mod @Lena @Kesha

fiver3.jpg

fiver5.jpg

fiver 6.jpg