Beware for this new Scam?

xshay99

8 minutes ago, kubracorl said:

Fiverr continues to deny any responsibility for the issue.

To be honest, Fiverr is not completely at fault. Imagine you getting scammed by some individual on Instagram — you can't just approach Instagram (or Meta) headquarters to get compensation. Fiverr didn't scam you; it was just an individual who was not affiliated with Fiverr's official staff and management in any way.

Fiverr's fault lies in their failure to fulfill their responsibilities and block these scam accounts, even after knowing that people are using their name and logo. But that won't change the fact that you were not scammed by them, and there's no way they will compensate such a huge amount.

• Like 3

Guest kubracorl
16 minutes ago, catwriter said:

You have sent the wrong dates (August 11, 2024, August 15, 2024). You have joined Fiverr in March 2024, and it's still March 2024.

Thank you, I'll fix it. I have a lot on my mind.

Guest kubracorl
12 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

Dürüst olmak gerekirse Fiverr tamamen hatalı değil. Instagram'da bir kişi tarafından dolandırıldığınızı hayal edin; tazminat almak için öylece Instagram (veya Meta) genel merkezine başvuramazsınız. Fiverr sizi dolandırmadı; bu sadece Fiverr'ın resmi personeli ve yönetimiyle hiçbir şekilde bağlantısı olmayan bir kişiydi.

Fiverr'ın hatası, insanların isimlerini ve logolarını kullandıklarını bilmelerine rağmen sorumluluklarını yerine getirmemeleri ve bu dolandırıcı hesapları engellemelerinde yatmaktadır. Ancak bu, onlar tarafından dolandırılmadığınız gerçeğini değiştirmeyecek ve bu kadar büyük bir tutarı telafi etmelerine imkan yok.

I am already complaining about Fiverr allowing such scammers by using their own corporate identity. Such a large and official organization should at least protect its own corporate identity. Moreover, allowing this scam through their own website is another issue and their own fault. If there were proper security measures in place, such a problem wouldn't have occurred in the first place. I believe compensation for this problem due to security vulnerabilities should be paid according to human rights. Think about it: you sign up to do business with a well-known corporate firm, but anyone, even a foreigner, can easily use the company's logo and name to take money from people, and they can do it easily through the company's official website! When you explain the situation to the company, the responsibility falls on you, just like someone stealing your wallet and claiming to be the police, and then the actual police telling you it's your problem! This shows that the company refuses to take responsibility and tries to evade it. And I am not the only one who is the sole victim of this situation. If you research Fiverr complaints, you will find many people have faced similar issues.

The message to CS also says "the moment I joined the platform a scammer contacted me through your messaging system". Maybe it was after the gig was created rather than immediately after joining.

Your Fiverr profile page source says "joinedAt":1709890192".  This page: https://www.unixtimestamp.com/

says 1709890192 Unix timestamp is Fri Mar 08 2024 (or maybe that could be about a day out depending on your/Fiverr's timezone). So maybe you initially joined on 8th March 2024, but probably created the gig (or it showed in the Fiver system publicly) on the 11th March 2024 and it was 11th March 2024 at 16:14 your time when you received the first phishing message appearing to be from "Fiverr Support" (because Fiverr allows/allowed anyone to change their display name to "Fiverr Support").

You're probably best going to somewhere that gives legal advice to get a proper answer.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 3
  • Up 2

24 minutes ago, kubracorl said:

Moreover, allowing this scam through their own website is another issue and their own fault. If there were proper security measures in place, such a problem wouldn't have occurred in the first place.

I'm not so sure about this.

On Facebook, many Page owners get a message from someone pretending to be Facebook staff, claiming that their Page is in danger, they should click a certain link, and so on, and so forth... Another phishing scam. I have no doubt that there are people who fall for it and lose money (or even have their identity stolen), and I'm pretty certain that Facebook doesn't compensate them.

• Like 3
  • Up 3

Guest kubracorl
36 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

The message to CS also says "the moment I joined the platform a scammer contacted me through your messaging system". Maybe it was after the gig was created rather than immediately after joining.

Your Fiverr profile page source says "joinedAt":1709890192".  This page: https://www.unixtimestamp.com/

says 1709890192 Unix timestamp is Fri Mar 08 2024 (or maybe that could be about a day out depending on your/Fiverr's timezone). So maybe you initially joined on 8th March 2024, but probably created the gig (or it showed in the Fiver system publicly) on the 11th March 2024 and it was 11th March 2024 at 16:14 your time when you received the first phishing message appearing to be from "Fiverr Support" (because Fiverr allows/allowed anyone to change their display name to "Fiverr Support").

You're probably best going to somewhere that gives legal advice to get a proper answer.

Yes, I created my platform membership on March 8th, but I published my first gigs on March 11th. The scammer contacted me immediately after publishing the gigs, and the way they contacted me was "Welcome, Fiverr support team...". They probably have a system that sends notifications.

Guest kubracorl
35 minutes ago, catwriter said:

I'm not so sure about this.

On Facebook, many Page owners get a message from someone pretending to be Facebook staff, claiming that their Page is in danger, they should click a certain link, and so on, and so forth... Another phishing scam. I have no doubt that there are people who fall for it and lose money (or even have their identity stolen), and I'm pretty certain that Facebook doesn't compensate them.

While scammers on Facebook may try to deceive people by claiming that their "Facebook account is at risk", they definitely cannot use Facebook's own identity. This is because Meta has its own identity verification system, where each account can verify its own identity. This also applies to Twitter and Instagram. Otherwise, government agencies, large companies, or celebrities would not be able to use social media without verifying their identities. In fact, Elon Musk even faced many problems on Twitter due to identity verification issues.

You're very upset, I get it. The first time I fell for a deception that cost me the value of more than a paycheck, I was mad too. I was mad at the person who tricked me, I was mad at the middleman who made the duplicity possible, and I was mad at myself for falling for it. Thinking about it still makes me upset, years later. 

However: once burned twice shy. It was a very important life lesson for me. Expensive, but important. Do I wish I could have gotten my money back? YES. But it was my own fault for falling for the trick. 

That said, you're not the only person who thinks Fiverr needs to introduce some form of verification upon signup, and some barrier to entry. 

• Like 2
  • Up 4

1 hour ago, kubracorl said:

This is because Meta has its own identity verification system, where each account can verify its own identity.

And there's a little check mark showing that the person has verified their identity.

On Fiverr, when the inbox message is coming from real Fiverr staff, there's a little mark next to their username, showing that they are who they say they are.

Here's an example (the little green mark). Did the user who scammed you have that little green mark?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 15.15.12.png

Edited by catwriter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

And there's a little check mark showing that the person has verified their identity.

The scammer put "Fiverr" text (not "Fi") in a green circle in their profile image which shows next to each message.

The "Fi" in green also appears in the profile image. It did seem to put it right at the top of the inbox on the right of the name (which seemed different to others) but it's not doing that now for me. One staff account has the profile image with the circle in black rather than green (but it doesn't show that on each message from them).

Fiverr could put an icon next to the username (like they put the crown next to Fiverr select users) but that wouldn't be enough if they didn't do more to tell new users about it before they could get scam phishing messages.

But they could at least put "This is not Fiverr staff or Fiverr" in messages any time a username or display name contains "Fiverr" as well as scan the message text for things like "This is the Fiverr support team".

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2

Im new here scanned the QR code on it 😞 it sent me to an all black page that said "forbidden". I froze my bank card and hope thats that and theres not more to it. I didnt click on the download link. 

A bit worried. 

Edited by maarcstudio
  • Like 5

I've just had this happen to me - had a message from an alleged purchaser with a QR code attached, saying Fiverr now need to verify my card, didn't think anything of it, asked me to approve a payment of £0, which I did then a request to approve a payment of £496, such a SCAM

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Damn! I just had that issue. I was so closed to get scammed!!! Luckily i refused my bank notification when i saw the amout (500 euros!).

Card verification should't exceed 1 euro. 

I also found their message too much threatening and pushy. 

I should have realised that fiverr is just a standard account. For instance my scammer just created the account that Month:

image.png.117491e64da6e0c4520e052555502c42.png

Edited by nordinerajaoui
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 4:12 PM, nickgarnett732 said:

saying Fiverr now need to verify my card, didn't think anything of it, asked me to approve a payment of £0, which I did then a request...

If you entered your card details on their fake site they might have your main card details though still. It could be worth speaking to your bank about it (maybe putting a hold on the card if so?).

• Like 2
  • Up 1

• 1 month later...

Hi can anyone help 

I’m new and usually pretty savvy but I got this email about half a day after I posted my first gig, the payment scam took 0 for verification and then drained my account without my consent 😞 

then once I realised as attatched called me a sucker! 

I am usually very savvy but got done over and now got no money for my outgoings! I’ve alerted my bank but is there anything fiverr can do? 

IMG_1208.png

IMG_1207.png

IMG_1198.png

IMG_1200.png

• Like 2