What do you do every day to keep your physical and mental health good as a freelancer?

shuvo_va

the last week my soul, mind and body are feeling better by turning off fiverr and researching on alternatives. Finding that Upwork has gigs now or that there are tons of new alternatives makes my mind ease that i can go from this nightmare that thinks that making me feel lower score but dont telling me why will "push me to be better"

• Like 19

1. Make sure you have a proper breakfast and morning routine time before you grab your phone and jump into the business stuff. 

2. Don't forget to eat. And eat without any screens, something nice and healthy. 

3. Have a dog. Your dog will remind you occasionally that there is a much more beautiful world to enjoy, and walking  him or her is a good excuse to get out of the devices twice a day, love someone and feel loved 🙂 

• Like 18

• Regular Exercise: I go out for a walk every day in the evening. It helps me relax and get a breathe of fresh air. 
  • Healthy Eating: I include fruits and vegetables in my diet for a nutritious meal. 
  • Time Management: This is something I am not good at, but you should try to manage this.
  • Stress Management: I regularly practice yoga at home to get rid of stress.

This is just my two cents. There are more things you can do to take care of yourself.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

I follow the rule - divide and conquer. I pre-planned my daily tasks whether work or life-related into simple and small chunks and then process them one by one. 

Additionally, I take breaks in between and sometimes when I don't feel like working, I don't work and concentrate on my mental health. 

• Like 7

On 2/13/2024 at 5:27 PM, shuvo_va said:

What do you do every day to keep your physical and mental health good as a freelancer?

I make sure to do what I need to "stay free." As a buddy of mine pointed out, the FREE in freelancer comes from not being tied to your business as you would to an employer. The business should work for you, not the other way around.

On that note - I am unfortunately finding it more and more difficult to maintain this type of healthy connection to my business here on Fiverr as they continue to increase the pressure to prioritize the platform, but I am still able to do so at this point, albeit it not as much as with every other place I do business. 

This could look like:

- Stepping away for a day or two when/if I need to. Or just because. If I want I can shoot out an email to my direct clients outside of Fiverr and a message to my repeats here on Fiverr to give them a heads up about my absence and just disappear for a day or two at the beach, or mountains, or to play games with my kids. 

- Saying "No" to a project or two you don't really want to work on. Unlike being an employee, everything that comes across your desk as a freelancer is an opportunity, not an obligation. Being able to decline work for any reason imaginable has been very freeing.

- Exiting my studio for a few hours to play with my kids. Or inviting my kids into my studio/office to goof around for a little while.

- Easing into my day with a bit of a late start. My kids are out of school for Spring Break here in the US so I slept in until 8AM just because. 

- Not wearing pants while I work. Yep. 

- Strength training 3x per week, and walking every other day. Keeping my body moving is a must to combat time spent at a desk or in my recording booth. 

- Blasting music once in a while in my studio. It's just me in here - who's going to complain?

Edited by texvox
  • Like 7
  • Up 1

• Kesha unfeatured this topic
On 3/12/2024 at 1:02 AM, sabbir_tareq said:

How can freelancers ensure their phones are turned off? I often struggle to sleep at night because of it.

that's why I keep it off, when I sleep, I sleep. When I work, I work.
that's it.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...