Jump to content

The insights feature has officially launched. (probably)


frank_d
 Share

Recommended Posts

Even though I was the first seller to see this feature still in its early mockup months ago, I wasn't included in the early test runs.

But yesterday it seems my inbox UI was updated, and today I just started seeing the infamous buyer insights feature I have been teasing for ever!

Something tells me that being a part of seller plus, just got even more enticing!

 

A huge thank you to Amir and his team for all their hard work! 🙂 

buyer insights.png

  • Like 17
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not part of seller plus but I've got the insights in my inbox. The info is redacted tho. Above it there's a button that says want this information? Sign up for Seller Plus. 

I received an invite months back for Seller Plus to join the waitlist and as far as I know, I'm still on the wait list. 

ETA: Clicking the button just asks you to join the wait list. 

Edited by poshlulla
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, poshlulla said:

I'm not part of seller plus but I've got the insights in my inbox. The info is redacted tho. Above it there's a button that says want this information? Sign up for Seller Plus. 

I received an invite months back for Seller Plus to join the waitlist and as far as I know, I'm still on the wait list. 

So you don't have the actual insights feature, it's a way to show you what you will be getting if you enroll.

  • Like 10
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, frank_d said:

So you don't have the actual insights feature, it's a way to show you what you will be getting if you enroll.

thats right. it looks the same as the screen shot you shared, except instead of data it's grey squares. The part that irritates is that I can't enroll, just join a waitlist. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shouldn't this be an opt-in for buyers though? What if they don't want their private purchase info given to sellers?

The data protection act says data must be "used in a way that is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary" - is it really necessary and in the interests of the buyers to give their past financial and purchase history to sellers without the buyer's knowledge/permission?

Also it doesn't seem to detail that in the privacy policy.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, uk1000 said:

Shouldn't this be an opt-in for buyers though? What if they don't want their private purchase info given to sellers?

The data protection act says data must be "used in a way that is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary" - is it really necessary and in the interests of the buyers to give their past financial and purchase history to sellers without the buyer's knowledge/permission?

Buyers are aware of the feature, and to the best of my knowledge it is an opt-out.

From what the team in charge of this effort shared with me, this feature spent quite a bit of time with Fiverr's legal team.

In my opinion, there's nothing that's being shared that's hurting buyers. It promotes transparency and it benefits both sides.

The very first version of the feature revealed A LOT more information, but seems like it was modified to make sure no laws are broken and that buyers won't feel like this is an invasion of privacy.

  • Like 8
  • Congrats! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, frank_d said:

Buyers are aware of the feature, and to the best of my knowledge it is an opt-out.

I'm a buyer too and I don't see that mentioned on the site. Do you know where the opt out is? I don't see anything in "settings" - surely there should be something in some set up like that (or a preferences option).

And if it's affecting privacy & financial info it should really be opt-in not opt-out.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 9
  • Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

I'm a buyer too and I don't see that mentioned on the site. Do you know where the opt out is? I don't see anything in "settings" - surely there should be something in some set up like that (or a preferences option).

And if it's affecting privacy & financial info it should really be opt-in not opt-out.

Maybe you should contact support. (both to voice your concerns and ask where to opt out)

I can't seem to find it on the buyer side of things.

Read more about it here.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frank_d said:

Even though I was the first seller to see this feature still in its early mockup months ago, I wasn't included in the early test runs.

But yesterday it seems my inbox UI was updated, and today I just started seeing the infamous buyer insights feature I have been teasing for ever!

Something tells me that being a part of seller plus, just got even more enticing!

 

A huge thank you to Amir and his team for all their hard work! 🙂 

buyer insights.png

I've had the buyer insights for a good while now. It's great! 

29 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

 

The data protection act says data must be "used in a way that is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary"

I don't see how this information can in any way violate privacy laws as they stand at the moment. For privacy laws to apply, the information has to be connected to an identifiable individual. It also has to contain specific information, as I understand it. This is simply averages given that can easily be calculated by their public reviews. The number of orders they had on the platform can be considered a community stat (not so different from showing how many followers you have on Twitter). The average order amount is simply an average. It doesn't tell you what any single order amounted to. 

I'm pretty sure the Fiverr legal team had this in mind when setting it up. 

There are other freelancer platforms out there that reveal similar things and have done so for a while. 

Fiverr might say "Yes, this is necesssary to improve buyer/seller communication, transparancy and trust on the platform. 

  • Like 8
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, smashradio said:

The average order amount is simply an average. It doesn't tell you what any single order amounted to. 

In Frank's screenshot it shows "completed orders: 1" so the financial info in that case is just about 1 order that they've purchased it seems, and from what subcategory they've purchased.

23 minutes ago, smashradio said:

the information has to be connected to an identifiable individual.

And if they happen to need to add their info to the seller's order they'll know the info about that individual (eg. if they purchase a gig for business cards with their info on the cards) and can then see the financial and purchase info of that buyer.

23 minutes ago, smashradio said:

This is simply averages given that can easily be calculated by their public reviews.

Though the order amounts aren't shown on the public reviews so it's more than that. Also what if they don't review?

The help page says things like "Avg Order: Represents the average price the buyer has paid per order (including tip), excluding tax & additional fees." - that is not public info that's shared in the public reviews.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

In Frank's screenshot it shows "completed orders: 1" so the financial info in that case is just about 1 order that they've purchased it seems, and from what subcategory they've purchased.

That's actually because that's an order they placed with me. 

For orders they placed on Fiverr in general, the data is more strict. It's between $25-$50, between $51-100 and over $100.

So I don't think that's as invasive as you think it is.

 

Also, I just remembered: buyers will have the option to opt-out either completely or just select which indicators get shown/remain hidden.

  • Like 8
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, frank_d said:

Also, I just remembered: buyers will have the option to opt-out either completely or just select which indicators get shown/remain hidden

But they should have waited until they'd created an opt-out or op-in button before they started showing the private data to seller plus members without the buyer's knowledge really.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With my buyer hat on… I really don’t care. So what if sellers can see my average spend, or that I tip, or that I complete orders or that I rate highly.

’nothing to hide, nothing to fear’ is overused, often inappropriately, but in this instance I think it’s appropriate.

A buyer that opts out of these would be a bit of a flag for me. It really isn’t hyper personal IMO.

  • Like 9
  • Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest, they don't really show anything sensitive. The average spending rate isn't really something a buyer wouldn't want listed. As for the latest order date, this gives a good idea of how active the buyer really is. Although you can see something similar from checking their reviews. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was moaning on another thread somewhere about the seller plus programme that one of the best features was the buyer insights, which appeared a few months ago , then disappeared. Glad to see it's back. It does give sellers an albeit brief, but valuable additional tool - which is always a good thing.

 

  • Like 8
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far, Buyer Insights has been really handy for me! 

I  received two inquiries today and my first customer averages $51-$100 per order, so I was able to negotiate a price slightly higher than what I'd normally offer. The second customer I spent about 20 seconds on because I knew I was priced higher than his average order price and he was demanding a 24-hr delivery.

It also looks like the 2nd buyer opted out of showing his completed orders, rating, and what he usually orders. However, I can see his rating and number of orders in the section above ... and if I really wanted to spy on him, I could click on his order find out who he bought from and know what he usually orders, too. So I'm not sure how helpful the opt out feature is for buyers because the information they're opting out of is already public information.

image.png.986f4f7b4e9d6b6a54d4c7404760931f.pngimage.png.a2837c4044d2207dfeb071a7a4d54501.png

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, vickieito said:

and if I really wanted to spy on him, I could click on his order find out who he bought from and know what he usually orders, too. So I'm not sure how helpful the opt out feature is for buyers because the information they're opting out of is already public information.

Only if he left feedback, which a buyer worrying about that won't leave. 

  • Like 8
  • Congrats! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.4f5649351499491d291af5f26da82f7e.png

When I read the post, I thought that it's only for Seller Plus freelancer and after reading what @poshlullahas seen in the inbox UI, I was thinking that maybe I am still very far away from Seller Plus Program because I haven't seen anything changed in the inbox UI of Fiverr App. I was about to comment and then just noticed a new message in my inbox, ran to see it (as always 😄) and guess what, I am more eager now to be enrolled as Seller Plus.

Edited by animie_video
Wrong image
  • Like 7
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...