Fiverr Suspends Business in Russia

mjensen415

14 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

If financial pressure makes Russian men hop the planes to Georgia or Estonia while they still can instead of joining the "brotherly liberation" of my people and holding nuclear powerplants hostage, I'm 200% behind the idea. 

That would be great, but it's a little more complicated than that. Just because of such illogical decisions, ticket prices have risen disastrously and continue to rise, banks have restricted withdrawals, and there is no cash in ATMs. 

As a result, a large part of the population cannot leave the country if they want to. And next, men can simply be forced to join this madness, threatening the lives and freedom of them and their families.

• Like 107

31 minutes ago, wrenaker said:

That would be great, but it's a little more complicated than that. Just because of such illogical decisions, ticket prices have risen disastrously and continue to rise, banks have restricted withdrawals, and there is no cash in ATMs. 

As a result, a large part of the population cannot leave the country if they want to. And next, men can simply be forced to join this madness, threatening the lives and freedom of them and their families.

Running into the night with a backpack is quite unpleasant, I can give you that. But I've done it with a pretty serious limp. Plus, Russia still has the roads and the airports. So that's a plus. 

As for people "being forced to join in", I hold no illusions. They will join in when they are told regardless of the financial situation. I hope it stops with the *professional troops* but let's be real. Russia is running out of those and Kyiv still stands. So I'd rather those who could leave would be pushed to while it's still possible. The alternative is mutual destruction. Not in Minecraft, for real. I don't know if the masses understand that. I don't know if people crying over Ikea leaving the market get where this is going. I hope they do. 

• Like 96
  • Up 3

14 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

Running into the night with a backpack is quite unpleasant, I can give you that. But I've done it with a pretty serious limp. Plus, Russia still has the roads and the airports. So that's a plus. 

As for people "being forced to join in", I hold no illusions. They will join in when they are told regardless of the financial situation. I hope it stops with the *professional troops* but let's be real. Russia is running out of those and Kyiv still stands. So I'd rather those who could leave would be pushed to while it's still possible. The alternative is mutual destruction. Not in Minecraft, for real. I don't know if the masses understand that. I don't know if people crying over Ikea leaving the market get where this is going. I hope they do. 

Fighting on the forums from the couch is pretty easy, I can give you that. But I wouldn't wish anyone to be in Ukraine or Russia without money and support right now.

• Like 103

Here goes my last chance to provide for my family. Now I don't know what to do.. I never supported Putin, I always wanted to leave this country but never had means to do it, now I'm about to lose the means to put food on the table. I'm not sure how this helps the situation in Ukraine.. By me being poor and leaving my ongoing clients without my services that they've been using for years? 

• Like 101
  • Up 5

35 minutes ago, wrenaker said:

Fighting on the forums from the couch is pretty easy, I can give you that. But I wouldn't wish anyone to be in Ukraine or Russia without money and support right now.

Yes. It's very easy for me. I am homeless spending day and night begging my family to gather their courage (and get over their stubbornness in some cases) to flee Kyiv and volunteering in a refugee center while trying to work to gather the money for them.

We're having this "fight" because I haven't slept for more than 3 hours during these weeks and I am now terrified of darkness. So I'm waiting for the sun to come up. And I don't have a couch. We sleep on the floor. Old internet retorts don't really apply to this new reality, do they.

The couch, lol. Of all the things. 

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 101

On 3/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, lenasemenkova said:

But if economical pressure stops something moral or political pressure cannot, why not.

Has it ever happened throughout the history, though? Economical pressure stopping something that moral or political pressure couldn't? As far as I know, it didn't. It just prolonged the agony.

• Like 100
  • Up 3

46 minutes ago, catwriter said:

Has it ever happened throughout the history, though? Economical pressure stopping something that moral or political pressure couldn't? As far as I know, it didn't. It just prolonged the agony.

We'll have to see about that. Everyone's keep talking about how bizzarre and unusual this war is. How literally "no one" wants it, yet there it is. Maybe we'll get surprised with how things unfold. In a non-nuclear way. 

• Like 91

2 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

Yes. It's very easy for me. I am homeless spending day and night begging my family to gather their courage (and get over their stubbornness in some cases) to flee Kyiv and volunteering in a refugee center while trying to work to gather the money for them.

We're having this "fight" because I haven't slept for more than 3 hours during these weeks and I am now terrified of darkness. So I'm waiting for the sun to come up. And I don't have a couch. We sleep on the floor. Old internet retorts don't really apply to this new reality, do they.

The couch, lol. Of all the things. 

I'm not at all belittling the problems you've had to face. We're all in a pretty shitty position. I have never had anything against Ukraine and its people - I, like many Russians, have acquaintances, friends and business partners there. I, like all adequate people, am against what is happening.

But your "fight" here and maintaining discrimination against the innocent will not make my situation any easier or yours. Neither will this decision by Fiverr - as I said earlier. 

If it makes you feel any better, I have an infirm grandmother and a mother who also does not want to leave Russia and I have to do something about it. And yes, losing my source of income will not help me in any way. I just want to say that the decision to invade was not made by me, but by our insane dictator, but the decision to deprive me of my income was decided by the wise administration of Fiverr. Was it a good decision? Will it help Ukraine and you personally? Doubtful. Will it get me in trouble? Absolutely.

• Like 104

I would like to say that though I understand. I absolutely HATE, that my close friends in Russia who OPPOSE the war and have themselves been persecuted for not supporting it are now being victimized even more.

I am An American Citizen and Patriot who has served his country, but I am  HUMAN BEING who puts Innocent people in priority to Governments. I feel sorry for and support fully Ukraine fighting for their survival. I want an end to this violence immediately.  But, please understand that I have close friends in Russia and all over the world who are excellent people who feel the exact same way. Some who have even risked their lives attempting to depart from Russia with their families. Thousands of Russians Jailed by their own country for being opposed to the war. VICTIMIZED and having their rights stripped from them. Beaten in jails.. Some missing. And now, Fiverr will victimize my brothers yet again.There are many many soldiers who were and are still opposed to the war who are afraid of what will happen to them and their families as much as Ukrainians are. 

And now, because of Russia's Government. An entity that the Innocent and good Russian People have NO CONTROL OVER. They are being Victimized again... by Fiverr.

A better solution would be for Fiverr to donate funds to Ukraine to show support and at the same time BE LOYAL TO YOUR RUSSIAN CUSTOMERS who have been Loyal to Fiverr. Do you not Understand that Fiverr is not just a buy and sell marketplace anymore?

It has actually been a platform that provides international interactions between members, that has promoted communication and friendships across countries and continents. It has provided a vessel for people from all walks of life to get to know one another.

and now... you want to take that away?

This is no different that Putin cutting off the Russian Citizen's access to the world... isolating good people from their friends and family abroad.

Is this what you you stand for?

And when this is over...

Is this how you want to be remembered.... 

Fiverr currently can act as an ambassador for good will and keep lines of communication open.

• Like 108
  • Up 4

On 3/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, bringer said:

I would like to say that though I understand. I absolutely HATE, that my close friends in Russia who OPPOSE the war and have themselves been persecuted for not supporting it are now being victimized even more.

I am An American Citizen and Patriot who has served his country, but I am  HUMAN BEING who puts Innocent people in priority to Governments. I feel sorry for and support fully Ukraine fighting for their survival. I want an end to this violence immediately.  But, please understand that I have close friends in Russia and all over the world who are excellent people who feel the exact same way. Some who have even risked their lives attempting to depart from Russia with their families. Thousands of Russians Jailed by their own country for being opposed to the war. VICTIMIZED and having their rights stripped from them. Beaten in jails.. Some missing. And now, Fiverr will victimize my brothers yet again.There are many many soldiers who were and are still opposed to the war who are afraid of what will happen to them and their families as much as Ukrainians are. 

And now, because of Russia's Government. An entity that the Innocent and good Russian People have NO CONTROL OVER. They are being Victimized again... by Fiverr.

A better solution would be for Fiverr to donate funds to Ukraine to show support and at the same time BE LOYAL TO YOUR RUSSIAN CUSTOMERS who have been Loyal to Fiverr. Do you not Understand that Fiverr is not just a buy and sell marketplace anymore?

It has actually been a platform that provides international interactions between members, that has promoted communication and friendships across countries and continents. It has provided a vessel for people from all walks of life to get to know one another.

and now... you want to take that away?

This is no different that Putin cutting off the Russian Citizen's access to the world... isolating good people from their friends and family abroad.

Is this what you you stand for?

And when this is over...

Is this how you want to be remembered.... 

Fiverr currently can act as an ambassador for good will and keep lines of communication open.

Amen to that. Thank you for being so supportive and I absolutely agree with each statement. Fiverr, give me the option to donate from my sales to a good cause and help Ukrainians, I will do that because I want to stop this madness and I've been a loyal seller since 2016, how could you discredit me that easily? I have a Ukrainian flag in the background on my profile picture. Let us be the voice of opposition to Putin's regime, don't ban us just because we are Russians.

• Like 100

Fiverr' Community Standards (c) "We're inspired by each and every one of our community members. We value their perspective, beliefs, and views..."

Could you please update this standard and add "except Russians"? Thanks in advance.

I am Russian and I am sad that the creative community has become the political one. 

I would like to say big thanks to people from whole over the world that I had a chance to work with without any kind of national preferences.

Thank you, cool and creative people!❤ 

And as always,

Have a great day!

Maksim Nikulin.

• Like 100

Ok let's be productive: your problem with Russians on the platform is that they spend money from Fiverr in Russia. That's the only reason I can assume for a modern company that is against all biases.

I can't say for all of us, but I would pe happy to stay on the platform by paying some kind of fee to humanitarian causes that will compensate the negative effect that you're fighting against. 

Fiverr it's not just a way for me to get money, it became the main part of my life, I've met a lot of friends here and I'm always happy to help, so if there is a way for us to stay on the platform while helping the situation, that's it.

We all must unite and not divide, we're one community. We are citizens of the world and not tribal people of the past.

• Like 93

12 minutes ago, hogake said:

I would like to ask all those Russians who suddenly became against the war, for whom did you vote for the last 20 years, or at least on the latest amendments? Or did you not even go to the polls?

Well, I was against this war from day one and I was actually against our ruling party for all of my adult life (which is about ten years). Our opposition has created a special system to oppose the rigged election system, and many of us participated in it. When we had a strong opposing candidate for putin in the last election, they've crimimalized him and made him leave the election, so some of us voted for other candidates, and some of us destroyed the papers as a way of protest. It kinda shocks me that even in 2022 there are people who legitimately think that Russia is a democratic country, but our government system is very close to an absolute monarchy. Blaming us for the actions of a delusional old man is very wrong, because you decrease his guilt and spread it among russian citizens which is actually what government wants. In the same way saying that all we have to do is "go to the streets and overthrow him" is like saying to a homeless person that they need to just buy a house. He is a greatest tyrant in modern history, Russia has a massive territory with many centers, and it's impossible to organize the resistance because opposition is literally being killed.

Edited by michaelpahalen
  • Like 85
  • Up 5

4 minutes ago, hogake said:

I would like to ask all those Russians who suddenly became against the war, for whom did you vote for the last 20 years, or at least on the latest amendments? Or did you not even go to the polls?

Ok, you're clearly have no idea what's going in Russia and Belarus. The rulers of the countries are tyrants and dictators, who doesn't give a single crap about its people. If you ask me personally, I was and am against Putin and war he's leading now. All elections results are fake and the opposition here is being repressed. Do you know russian activist Navalny and his organization? Please google Navalny and see where he is now. The country is democratic only formally but really it is not. We've been suffering from this regime for a very long period of time, all alternative mass media is blocked and journalists are leaving country. There is a law, that if you speak about war and court decides that it is a fake, then you're going to jail for 15 years. All russians are depressed, many people go out in the street to protest just to be locked in the jail. And in the midst of all that and tragedy in the Ukraine, russians here on Fiverr are getting canceled without chance to earn and try to find some ways to stop this madness. Honestly, I would leave this country for good but you need a great amount of money to do that, now we're losing this chance and are trapped in here.

• Like 83

This is absolutely ridiculous. Suspending fiverr services in Russia is the stupidest thing ever. It is one thing if you are visa or Mastercard - Something big that will hit the government/their pockets. But fiverr???? You are directly hurting citizens that are AGAINST the war and just trying to put food on the table. This is such a stupid thing to do. Does fiverr want a round of applause for copying companies, pulling out of Russia? Putin doesn’t use fiverr. The war doesn’t use fiverr. Talented artists of the world use fiverr. Don’t strip away their opportunity to put food on the table for a false sense of moral satisfaction. I will not use fiverr if it moves forward with its suspension in Russia!

• Like 88

28 minutes ago, hogake said:

Answering to your question, I voted for "Yabloko", never for Putin. Not sure why do you believe that I suddenly became against the war, since I always was. And yes, I protested against Crimea annexation.

• Like 87

45 minutes ago, hogake said:

Although that information is supposed to be anonymous, I can tell you that I haven't skipped a single election since I turned 18 and in every single one of those I voted for ANYONE BUT Putin or his party. That includes every level of democratic procedures, not just presidential elections.
I also started participating in protests when I turned 18, that's almost 15 years ago now, and I remember the good old times when it was legal. The first protest I went to was against canceling election for mayor's position in my town. That protest didn't help, mayors are appointed, not selected since 2008 here.
When I was about 21 I joined an opposing political party. That was during the big opposition movement in 2011-2013. We were all very hopeful back then.
Now many of the leaders of those protests are dead, in prison or had to leave the country. That is also when they made it so peaceful protests now have to be pre-scheduled with the government.
Forgive me for not going into deail about more recent activity, because frankly I have legit reasons to be afraid for my freedom and safety. And I am afraid.

What I can tell you, is that anti-"special operation" views seem to correlate with knowing foreign languages, being self-employed, being in constant contact with people around the globe. So you can bet the majority of freelancers on Fiverr, U*work and other such services are not supporting our government.

But what of it? What now?
It's not like we'll be weeded out based on political views. Every single one of us has to become collateral damage.

I find a point about not supporting the economy via taxes reasonable, but not applicable. Only the ones who can afford to relocate will stop supporting Russian economy, I'd imagine this percentage is not very high (and cutting another source of their income only decreases the number).
Everyone else will have to find a job in Russia.
And for many of those it will also mean that their tax rates will rise from 6% (or even 0% if they didn't bother to get legal) to 13%, essentially meaning that they'll give even more money to the Russian army (or atleast just as much, if their income drops in half).

However I fully understand Fiverr's decision, don't hold any grudges and don't excpect them to go back on it, unless situation changes. They are a business and reputation comes first. Maybe I would have done the same in their shoes, who knows. 
Companies that announced they want to stay in Russia to support local population are being bullied on social media and boycotted.
And I don't see any reasons for Fiverr, as a business, to shoot itself in the foot for us, especially since the Russian market is really tiny for them.
I appreciate them holding up for so long and being nice about it, as much as one can be in this situation anyway.

• Like 82
  • Up 5

On 3/11/2022 at 12:45 AM, lenasemenkova said:

Oh, the whataboutism.

Like I said, I'm sorry that it came to this. I am horrified. But if economical pressure stops something moral or political pressure cannot, why not. We're quite possibly days away from Russia announcing full mobilization. It'll be a very different world if it happens. Freelance platforms would be the least of everyone's worries. 

There have already been protests followed by arrests against the war in Moscow. And I have talked to noone who agrees or wants the war. Making normal people aware by pressuring them financially is really pointless since they are aware, just not being heard and it can bring the opposite effect of making people resent the west for "abandoning" them. 

• Like 82

On 3/11/2022 at 2:45 AM, lenasemenkova said:

Oh, the whataboutism.

Like I said, I'm sorry that it came to this. I am horrified. But if economical pressure stops something moral or political pressure cannot, why not. We're quite possibly days away from Russia announcing full mobilization. It'll be a very different world if it happens. Freelance platforms would be the least of everyone's worries. 

I guess the issue is that the company have to choose between evil (allowing money to go into russian economy) and lesser evil (leaving russian people without means of making money and cut them off tommorrow)
And i'd assume that many people wouldn't choose anything if they got into that situation, and that's from where might come the disapproval

I don't think there will be a full mobilisation, but you can expect anything from this country - Regional mobilisation is more probable, starting with the regions closer to Ukrane
Tho I've heard that the issue with russian army is not about low numbers, but bad organizing

Also who knows, maybe Russia would do something like what USSR did in the war with Finland - just declare victory

• Like 80

I support the people of Ukraine, the invasion is wrong, evil & has to end. But, to punish innocent Russian people is wrong, I've met some really nice Russian people on fiverr with different orders, the sellers I know do not support the war, and it's so heartbreaking to know they are being punished, fiverr please re-think this 

• Like 93
  • Up 6

I am dumbfounded by this move... I most certainly appreciate what Fiverr has done for Ukrainian sellers, in fact, I feel that Fiverr went above and beyond what I had personally expected of them.

But no, I am not on board with this move. Because:

a) it violates Fiverr's own Community Standards, here's me quoting a few lines from your Community Standards page (found at https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/objectionable-content)

Discrimination
Under Fiverr's community standards, discrimination means unfair or unequal treatment of an individual or group based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, race, religion, and s****l orientation.

Fiverr will investigate claims of discrimination on a case-by-case basis, and defend protected groups whenever possible.

Do not:

Express your unwillingness to work with a person or a group of people based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, race, religion, s****l orientation, or other similar ground.

Publish, offer, or ask for any content that expresses or supports discriminatory ideas. 

Offer or ask for the writing or editing of texts that support discriminatory ideas or practices.

So I would urge you to practice what you preach...

b) those who know the history would know that people in Russia too have been on the receiving end under what's democracy on papers but something else in reality. So if you ask me, a symbolic gesture would have been to use the proceeds from Russia to aid humanitarian efforts in Ukraine... that way PEOPLE are unaffected and you get to retain the buyers and sellers... moreover, these sanctions do little to harm the Government or in de-escalating the situation because Russia's economy is majorly dependent on the export of natural resources. So these present sanctions would only make it difficult for the civilians in Russia and not the real aggressors who probably have reserves already stacked elsewhere should they ever have to flee.

c) Not just Fiverr but other companies who are exiting the Russian market are setting a dangerous precedent and feeding right into this "cancel culture". These moves would only lead to the emergence of new alliances and substitutes, for instance, how difficult would it be for Russia to come up with alternatives to products like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, etc.? After Visa and Mastercard discontinued their operations, Russia has already signed up with China's UnionPay. Likewise, Russia has introduced its own TLS certificate authority after their website SSL certificates weren't getting automatically renewed owing to sanctions.. 

This is the time when you should be making emotionally intelligent decisions rather than being a judge, jury, and executioner. 

So I would urge the leadership to reconsider this decision 🙏

Edited by surajkartha
  • Like 88
  • Up 21