What did you want to be when you were a kid (and what do you do now?)

joyh97

Since there are a lot of regulars in the forum, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better!

So comment with what you wanted to be as a kid vs what you ended up doing. 🙂

When I was really little, I first wanted to be an actress, then a novelist. My mum wanted me to be a painter and my dad wanted me to be a journalist, but I ended up going in a totally different direction and got a law degree. I still find law really interesting and may pursue that as a career later on, but for now, I’m loving the freedom of being a full time freelance voice actress - so kind of similar to what I wanted when I was little! I also did a live action commercial a few months ago so I guess I kind of realised my dream haha.

I wanted to be a skater. I really liked figure skating and I would get goosebumps watching skating on ice. I really loved the Ice Princess movie which inspired me a lot. Never got the chance to skate on ice though. lol!

I used to practice roller skating which was the only thing possible where I lived. I remember getting injured many times and getting scolded by my dad for getting injured. :rofl:

I always wanted to be an engineer (since math is my greatest skill since I was a kid). And now I am an engineer, my day job is engineering, and what I do on fiverr is somewhat similar to what I’ve studied (which is control systems -automation- engineering). 😀

An aerial performer in a circus or a dancer.

I was born with a relatively mild physical disability, though, so that wasn’t meant to be. Physical performers always make me cry and take my breath away. 🙂

I’ve became a designer when I grew up. My mother was an artist and she was vehemently against it because “there is no money in visual arts”. I managed to convince her design was more akin to engineering so now she’s okay with it.

Guest rjr_designs

As a kid I always thought I would be a lawyer because I could argue anything and make it sound believable even when wrong and knowing i’m wrong. I grew out of that phase and became a designer. I’ve always loved art and being able to use my creativity positively.

when i was in primary school, we need to fill in a form which 1 of the column asked about our ambition. I remembered I filled in Scientist, teacher & hawker stall seller. My teacher edited and changed the last one.

Then, a hawker stall seller is regarded as a low class job. Most people would want their kids to become a doctor, lawyer or engineer.

In the end, i ended up as an artist/illustrator. Later, i began teaching art/drawing/painting in art colleges. starting from part-time teaching to full time teaching. To date, i have taught for more than 10 years while freelancing all these time.

I have quit full time job/teaching earlier this year 2019 and started full time freelance with my own registered company. I am freaking out and very excited at the same time. Freaking out for not knowing if i can get enough income to sustain myself and my family. Excited to be able to do my own thing. 😅

Hmmm… I had a thought of being an architect, a biologist, an astronaut… but my mother used to say I use to make comics from paper cutting and writing stories… Guess I was suppose to be a drama or movie producer…

Now I am a freelance designer… doing what I love best…It’s a happy feeling that I now have clients looking work for drama flyers, real estate posters, gardeners & yes I did a few designs to the Mars project - Thanks to FIVERR…

Dreams achieved… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

When I was a kid I really wanted to be Indiana Jones, literally and figuratively. I always had a dream of exploring new places and finding cool things. That turned to being a history teacher which turned to me now being an adult learning professional and voice over artist. So I guess I am exploring new places, just in a different form.

Never Grow Up!!!

Archived