Fiverr 4.0 - Some thoughts on the current state of things

frank_d

53 minutes ago, newsmike said:

While any business needs new customers, most are smart enough to provide all sorts of "loyalty, rewards, retention" incentives for the top producers and buyers. You know the folks making the register ring on a regular basis. Almost all businesses know this, almost all. 

And another characteristic of, not only businesses, but economics in general - risk and reward are two faces of the same coin. Risk = reward. By definition. Right now, new client = extra risk, with no extra reward. Why would I take them?

If they actually incentivised it (for example, 0% commission on first time client to the platform, as a reward to providing the retention and making them come back), then I could see the point of taking that risk. As it stands, Fiverr wants all the rewards to themselves, and all the risk for the sellers. That won't fly.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 33
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5

1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

Has anyone else noticed that their promoted gigs are not working as well as in the past?

All 12 of my gigs qualify, and I promote half of them. However, right now, I have taken in only four times what I spent on promoting these gigs. I would tell a Mek Sell they needed to improve their gig images and description. However, in the previous two months, my income from promoted gigs was ten to 12 times what I spent on promoting them.

I had one other month that was similar to this. After the month ended, things got back to "normal".  

Yes, it is entirely inconsistent.  Promoted gigs should be like purchasing any other advertising in the world. For example, I should be able to have my ads only appear to sellers in US/EU/AUS/CAN to only buyers who spend $100 or more per order, have a positive rating as a seller. You can buy any demographic and geography you want IRL. I don't want to pay $1 per click for people from a certain country who say "Give me job." 

• Like 33
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5

1 hour ago, vickiespencer said:

Has anyone else noticed that their promoted gigs are not working as well as in the past?

I was talking with someone about this, promoted gigs is very slow at the moment, I barely get clicks ... even though I have 6 recommended gigs there 

• Like 31
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, cre8iveartwork said:

I was talking with someone about this, promoted gigs is very slow at the moment, I barely get clickes ... even though I have 6 recommended gigs there 

So at the same that the algorithm is punishing a bunch of experienced sellers they expect us to trust the same algo to efficiently spend our promoted gigs money.  

Star Trek Wow GIF

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 28
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 6

7 minutes ago, newsmike said:

So at the same that the algorithm is punishing a bunch of experienced sellers they expect us to trust the same algo to efficiently spend our promoted gigs money.  

Captain, that is illogical.

• Like 23
  • Haha 9
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, donnovan86 said:

I was not sure what to quote, but I chose this, anyway it seems that UPW is making some changes. I opened their site today and I saw this message:

"Starting on May 3, 2023, we’re moving all freelancers from the current 20/10/5% sliding fee scale to a simpler fixed percentage fee of 10%. We understand that this change has an immediate impact on freelancers working in higher-value relationships, which is why we are honoring the 5% rate on existing and eligible contracts through the end of 2023."

So it seems they are removing the very low fees for those higher paying return clients. I can only imagine a lot of people were upset regarding the sliding fee scale, so just like Fiverr they are choosing a fixed percentage. Whether Fiverr will choose to bring their fee down in order to stay competitive, that remains to be seen. Still, I thought you may want to know this update, and also anyone that wants to use UPW as well for their business.

This factor is being seen negatively by UPW users because those paying 5% will also have to pay 10% with an additional fix fee + Percentages from buyers.
Ultimately buyers will tend to do less hiring. ( apparently things seems this way, there might be another deeper angle for this change )

• Like 25
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

I was getting enough orders per week, 3 months ago. but now no orders after removing the Buyer's request option. Some people getting tons of orders. why our gigs don't rank and get some of the orders to make some money? I don't worry if I didn't get orders previously. unfortunately, I was getting lots of orders in previous months, that's why I am worried about it. Fiverr is unfair, it works only for some sellers, Fiverr forgot about lots of experience sellers here.

• Like 25
  • Congrats! 2

5 hours ago, cre8iveartwork said:

I was talking with someone about this, promoted gigs is very slow at the moment, I barely get clicks ... even though I have 6 recommended gigs there 

My March promotion results:

spent $180

made a $50 sale

• Like 22
  • Sad 13
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 3

15 minutes ago, frank_d said:

spent $180

made a $50 sale

mine was a bit better, spent around 50$ and I only got one client that bought 3 gigs, usually I get 5-10 new clients/month from promoted gigs ... this month just 1 buyer

• Like 22
  • Sad 5
  • Congrats! 2

6 hours ago, aroojshahzadi12 said:

Ultimately buyers will tend to do less hiring. ( apparently things seems this way, there might be another deeper angle for this change )

Pretty sure this doesn't affect buyers, as those are seller fees. 

• Like 25
  • Congrats! 2

1 hour ago, sunboatrecords said:

Let me dissipate the clouds of depression by sharing that I made low four figures with $60.

That's a good return in my book! I had a 9X return on mine this month, I tend to be happy when it's 10X. I remember initially when promoted gigs launched I could sometimes get 30X, but the CPC has drastically increased since then.

• Like 31
  • Congrats! 3

9 hours ago, visualstudios said:

If they actually incentivised it (for example, 0% commission on first time client to the platform, as a reward to providing the retention and making them come back), then I could see the point of taking that risk.

Great idea! And would even out that you may have to spend more time, explain Fiverr technical fundamentals to a new person, etc.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 27
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, miiila said:
9 hours ago, visualstudios said:

If they actually incentivised it (for example, 0% commission on first time client to the platform, as a reward to providing the retention and making them come back), then I could see the point of taking that risk.

Great idea! And would even out that you may have to spend more time, explain Fiverr technical fundamentals to a new person, etc.

Non freelance marketplaces, e.g. salon booking software typically charge a few percent as a transaction fee, then 20% for a new a customer on top. If they're not new to you then it's just the transaction fee.

• Like 26
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vickiespencer said:

All 12 of my gigs qualify, and I promote half of them. However, right now, I have taken in only four times what I spent on promoting these gigs. I would tell a Mek Sell they needed to improve their gig images and description. However, in the previous two months, my income from promoted gigs was ten to 12 times what I spent on promoting them.

I had one other month that was similar to this. After the month ended, things got back to "normal".  

Same story here. I obviously have noticed that. Promoted gigs don’t work same effectively as before. 

• Like 25
  • Sad 4
  • Congrats! 2

2 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Non freelance marketplaces, e.g. salon booking software typically charge a few percent as a transaction fee, then 20% for a new a customer on top. If they're not new to you then it's just the transaction fee.

Yes, and that's what makes sense, paying for new leads but not repeated clients... if new leads don't have the power to totally screw you. If I go to a salon and dislike it, I won't go back, that's it. I won't destroy their business for months.

• Like 33
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the same boat as many of you... I had a really strong start to the year, even had a bunch of projects come in over the holidays which wasn't the case the previous year, but the past month has been disconcertingly quiet in terms of inquiries or orders. Of course I've had slow months before, but the fact that I just made it to Top Rated last month and have been getting only positive reviews with my orders averaging over $300, and still seeing my impressions plummet, has me scratching my head a bit. Whatever is happening doesn't seem to be positive for Fiverr either, so I'm curious how much the economic landscape and the AI revolution are factoring in.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, frank_d said:

spent $180

made a $50 sale

Lol, imagine paying to work. I had said it before, and will just double down - I won't be paying for promoted gigs. 

And for the people saying a 10x return on promoted gigs is good... It's not. It would be if that was the whole picture. It isn't.

You're paying 10% on promotion... plus the 20% commission. Fiverr is actually taking 30% of all your earnings.

Come on. When will it stop? 50%? 75%? Or, in the case of Frank's, and if all organic orders stop and all sales are promoted, 250%?

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 33
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a question. What impact does being a Seller's Plus member have on the search algorithm? I've been a member in the past, but when things got super busy, I didn't have time to take advantage, so I cancelled. If things don't improve this month I guess I might hop back on to see if there is anything I can do.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bjornbauerart said:

I guess I might hop back on to see if there is anything I can do.

There is a waiting list.

7 hours ago, frank_d said:

spent $180

made a $50 sale

Spent  $52.63

Made $205

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

Lol, imagine paying to work.

In my case, i paid 25% plus the 20% Fiverr commission. So, I cleared $92 of $205. 😩

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 27
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1