Fiverr 4.0 - Some thoughts on the current state of things

frank_d

5 hours ago, katakatica said:

March was my best-selling and second-best revenue month ever

Same situation. March was my third-best revenue month ever. I was also awarded the Fiverr's Choice badge for the first time since last year. However, 7 hours ago, I also received this email. Strange...

• Like 28
  • Confused 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, petrolviv17 said:

Same situation. March was my third-best revenue month ever. I was also awarded the Fiverr's Choice badge for the first time since last year. However, 7 hours ago, I also received this email. Strange...

Well clearly a lot of first time buyers complete those surveys randomly. I am not sure why Fiverr offers them so much strength now, as Visualstudios said above, this can easily be manipulated by a competitor..

• Like 30
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, petrolviv17 said:

We'll see... Usually spring is the best selling season for me.

I guess it also depends on how much competition you have. Even if you're pushed behind due to some stats, if there aren't a lot of people in your niche, that won't be a huge issue. People that feel this hit are those that work in larger niches or which rely on first time clients mostly. Those are the ones feeling the wrath of this algorithm change the most.

• Like 28
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:50 PM, frank_d said:

We now have the ability to record a video of us, so that buyers can watch and get a sense of who we are.

I have yet to do this, but as you mentioned above, when things are slow, it's time to update! So, I think it's time to film that intro vid. I think it's a great concept. Not new. When I was an actor in la, I had to film many "slates" for casting directors and agents. But, I wonder how many buyers would actually watch it when so many don't seem to even read our gig descriptions or FAQs or requirements.... etc. But I guess watching a video is easier than reading. We shall see! Thanks for this post!

• Like 31
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I just enabled "request to order" It appears grayed out to me, but probably because I am logged in. When I try a different browser not logged in, there is no request to order, still proceed for $120.  Can anyone verify usability please? 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 27
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, newsmike said:

I just enabled "request to order" It appears grayed out to me, but probably because I am logged in. When I try a different browser not logged in, there is no request to order, still proceed for $120.  Can anyone verify usability please? 

Does this help?

request.png

• Like 28
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, katakatica said:

I wonder, though, did anyone who's going through a slump (and is in seller plus) also get the email?

I got the email, and after looking through the help resources, they were not very helpful. If they don't give you info on who was dissatisfied, the email doesn't help much.

8 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

I just don't know if it's 'you're bad compared to other sellers' or 'you're bad compared to your previous great self'

Yes, this is a great question. "Based on what" we've noticed a drop in your BSR?

7 hours ago, visualstudios said:

Just got it. If everyone is getting it, it's meaningless.

lol - yup, if it is a "benefit" of being in Seller Plus to get this email - pretty meaningless.

I wish I could find a great gif about trying to navigate a minefield, because that's what it feels like recently to be a seller on Fiverr. Lots of mines, and of course they are hidden from the sellers, so you never know when you might go BOOM and your sales plummet.

• Like 29
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, danno1950 said:

Yes, this is a great question. "Based on what" we've noticed a drop in your BSR?

I am pretty sure it's based on your previous performance.

13 minutes ago, danno1950 said:

lol - yup, if it is a "benefit" of being in Seller Plus to get this email - pretty meaningless.

I am in this program and didn't get it. Yet... I guess.

• Like 27
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Judging by the quality of the people who are getting it, I would actually kinda be more worried if I didn't. Seems to be great company. If all the top guys fall for it, it means nothing. Their system is screwed up. Also, I had next to no first time buyers in this period, so this doesn't even make any sense.

• Like 32
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, danno1950 said:

Hi, Here's a friendly email to let you know that 1 person had something negative to say about you. It is however a secret and we won't share it with you so that you can learn from it or make adjustments. Nor will we look into it to see if maybe someone was extorting you for free work, then when you refused, they killed you in the private review.  Because of this 1 person's review we will be starving you to death for a few months. Thanks for being a member of Seller Plus, that will be $29 please. 

• Like 27
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Judging by the quality of the people who are getting it, I would actually kinda be more worried if I didn't. Seems to be great company. If all the top guys fall for it, it means nothing. Their system is screwed up. Also, I had next to no first time buyers in this period, so this doesn't even make any sense.

That's the thing! How can your rate dip if you don't have any first time buyers? 

If I look back at the past 3 months, I had about 40 orders. 10-15 of that were new (which sounds like a lot) either to more or Fiverr, but at least 5 of those if not more reordered. I'm still getting normal messages from new people as well. 

I'm also a bit confused as to why send it out to so many at the same time. Even if it's automated and a new feature, it just feels a bit odd to me. But I guess hopefully we'll be heard and be able to learn more about what we mess up later? Maybe? 

• Like 28
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newsmike said:

Hi, Here's a friendly email to let you know that 1 person had something negative to say about you. It is however a secret and we won't share it with you so that you can learn from it or make adjustments. Nor will we look into it to see if maybe someone was extorting you for free work, then when you refused, they killed you in the private review.  Because of this 1 person's review we will be starving you to death for a few months. Thanks for being a member of Seller Plus, that will be $29 please. 

You really stated the essence of the minimal help this new email provides for us. It's really nuts!

• Like 27
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/20/2023 at 2:50 PM, frank_d said:

There is some kind of threshold where Fiverr stops treating buyers as new accounts, and right before that cut off, their private exit surveys may weigh considerably more than those of existing accounts.

What I'm taking away from this is that "new seller" does not actually mean someone who is placing their first order on Fiverr. I checked all my orders going back to my last cancellation, trying to figure out how I got the email, and the only one who might qualify had previously placed 8 orders. Where's the threshold, I wonder?

Fiverr logic - NEW does not mean NEW. But I can get penalized more for it anyway if I don't please a buyer who falls into that category. Sheesh! I checked the Buyer Activity Tool, and couldn't find any enlightenment on this issue.

• Like 28
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, danno1950 said:

NEW does not mean NEW.

While any business needs new customers, most are smart enough to provide all sorts of "loyalty, rewards, retention" incentives for the top producers and buyers. You know the folks making the register ring on a regular basis. Almost all businesses know this, almost all. 

• Like 28
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

While any business needs new customers, most are smart enough to provide all sorts of "loyalty, rewards, retention" incentives for the top producers and buyers. You know the folks making the register ring on a regular basis. Almost all businesses know this, almost all. 

Great point, Mike! By contrast, in Fiverr world, if you are a solid producer, you get penalized by the one dissatisfied customer. What a great loyalty and retention incentive for sellers.

• Like 23
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone else noticed that their promoted gigs are not working as well as in the past?

All 12 of my gigs qualify, and I promote half of them. However, right now, I have taken in only four times what I spent on promoting these gigs. I would tell a Mek Sell they needed to improve their gig images and description. However, in the previous two months, my income from promoted gigs was ten to 12 times what I spent on promoting them.

I had one other month that was similar to this. After the month ended, things got back to "normal".  

• Like 28
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vickiespencer said:

Has anyone else noticed that their promoted gigs are not working as well as in the past?

All 12 of my gigs qualify, and I promote half of them. However, right now, I have taken in only four times what I spent on promoting these gigs. I would tell a Mek Sell they needed to improve their gig images and description. However, in the previous two months, my income from promoted gigs was ten to 12 times what I spent on promoting them.

I had one other month that was similar to this. After the month ended, things got back to "normal".  

Yes, Vickie, I did notice that. Interesting timing, because I just got my Promoted Gig invoice for March. The results were anemic. 

• Like 30
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3