Latest scam: ADVISORY!

newsmike

5 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

Here's something I read today about a voice-artist discovering her voice was being used without her consent. https://www.voquent.com/blog/whose-voice-is-it-anyway/

The best part is that is is set up as a scam from the onset.

Q: Did you find any success?

Remie: Revoicer.com have no registered address accessible anywhere online. Nowhere on the contact page or at the site footer could a business address be found. So, I contacted them through their support ticket system, and when I finally got a response, I was told flatly, ‘we can’t help you with that.’

• Like 33
  • Sad 3
  • Congrats! 1

35 minutes ago, newsmike said:

The best part is that is is set up as a scam from the onset.

Yep. I've added a note about not consenting to this in my gig requirements as I don't have any more available FAQs space to add. Gotta keep on truckin' but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the implications of AI, and not just in the world of the freelancer. My partner is a uni lecturer and AI is a new problem for the education system too. How to make sure students write their own papers...

Edited by leannelrivers
  • Like 28
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

One alternative recommendation for buyers concerned about sellers using chatGPT or AI is to input the delivery (or even the seller's messages themselves) into an online AI content detector tool. Many of these tools are available at no cost online.

And so, for example, if you plug a paragraph into one of these tools, it would tell you the probability that the content was written by a human. They use much of the same technology to detect AI content as was used to create it. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 28
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, markp said:

Most of these tools are now ineffective. Someone did a test with the US Constitution and it came back as 92% AI-generated.

LOL. And on top of that, even if you add the same text in different tools, they will have different results. So yeah, not very accurate, and they have a LOT of false positives. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, george_adam001 said:

Thank you for bringing up this concern regarding the use of AI,

You reply as if you are Fiverr Staff but do not appear to be. Are you impersonating Fiverr Staff? Or are you merely using ChatGPT to create a post on the Fiverr Forum? 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Hello @george_adam001

2 hours ago, george_adam001 said:

Thank you for bringing up this concern regarding the use of AI, particularly ChatGPT, by sellers on Fiverr. It's important to ensure effective communication and understanding when working with sellers, especially if language proficiency is crucial to the project's success. Requesting a Zoom meeting or some form of live interaction with the seller before placing an order can indeed provide a more accurate assessment of their English proficiency.

Fiverr encourages open and transparent communication between buyers and sellers, and if there are instances where sellers misrepresent their language skills, it is essential to address these concerns. By actively engaging in discussions, reporting any misleading claims, and highlighting the importance of genuine proficiency, the Fiverr community can collectively work towards maintaining high standards and fostering honest communication.

Fiverr is constantly working to improve its platform and enhance the overall user experience. While the challenges associated with AI-generated content are being addressed, it is crucial for the community to remain vigilant and proactive in identifying and reporting any issues that may arise.

As a member of the official Fiverr staff and as a part of this amazing community, I would like to ask you to please read the Rules before posting, because posting AI-generated content is strictly forbidden and it can lead to warnings and restrictions.

Thank you. 

• Like 28
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 7:20 AM, newsmike said:

non English speaking sellers are using ChatGPT to fake proficiency in English

In my perspective, it doesn't even matter whether they're using Chat GPT or having their 90 year old granny write their messages. If they are able to provide a satisfactory communication to the buyers, it's a win-win for both the parties. And I am sure, Fiverr is more concerned with the buyers receiving satisfactory communication rather than behind the scenes process of how sellers write their texts.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

In my perspective, it doesn't even matter whether they're using Chat GPT or having their 90 year old granny write their messages. If they are able to provide a satisfactory communication to the buyers, it's a win-win for both the parties. And I am sure, Fiverr is more concerned with the buyers receiving satisfactory communication rather than behind the scenes process of how sellers write their texts.

You should read up on what Fiver actually states as their policy in using AI instead of guessing (wrongly). The point here is not whether you think it is convenient, the point is honesty. If someone is willing to lie about their English proficiency in order to make a sale, are you seriously suggesting that they won't lie about other things to make a sale?  Defending dishonesty is an unusual position, but have at it.  

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 18
  • Up 3

20 hours ago, newsmike said:

Fiver actually states as their policy in using AI

If that's the case, then it's definitely wrong. I have been inactive on the platform for the past year since the AI hype came. I was busy with my engagement and wedding. If Fiverr has stated this in their policies, then there's nothing left to defend anyone. Since we are using someone else's platform, we must follow their rules, regardless of whether our thoughts align with their views.

Personally, I don't use AI tools and my services don't even require them. So, I did not find it necessary to focus on this area or check for updated policies. I will definitely take a look at it now (just to be sure I don't misguide anyone on the forums).

• Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

There's definitely going to be people who says they're fluent in a language when they're actually not, mostly in an effort to get orders. The trick is to first check out if they have any samples of their work. However, they could've copied that, so look for something that's rare and couldn't be copied. Secondly, notice their spelling and punctuation in the description. And finally, the best advice I can give you is to go to their profile and see whether they've taken the Fiverr English test and how they scored, I would say that's the ultimate guarantee that the seller is actually fluent in English.

Good luck!

• Like 14

• 6 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 2:02 AM, newsmike said:

To be on the cutting edge of this I have just added the following to my gigs:

NEW! Book a 20 minute Zoom meeting to discuss you requirements plus a 25 word sample read for just $100. Message me to book it. Great for agencies or when you need to be 100% sure.

That’s a nice idea. Sorts the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 5

I made a simple mistake in my initial chat and the person seriously thought I was from Russia lol!! Buyers are so afraid of getting “chatted” that the initial chats need to be very authentic. He also said that I responded so fast, he thought I may have been a bot.

Oh dear!!  

• Like 4

It is not a scam to use AI tools. Every buyer wants the quality of the work. There are many buyers who don't want to set a meeting through zoom. Check the sample of the work of the seller and see if the reviews are sufficient to decide.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 8:50 PM, newsmike said:

It is now sadly a requirement that if you wish to insure that you will be understood, that you demand a Zoom meeting with your seller prior to ordering, as many will simply fake the answers through ChatGPT. 

An inbox discussion is simply no longer sufficient. 

I never thought of having a Zoom meeting from t he briefs I am sent. I message the buyer with some questions but I did not realize I could do a zoom call.

• Like 1