New Buyers should buy from Established Sellers

gina_riley2

On 11/22/2021 at 1:41 PM, gina_riley2 said:

Bad grammar, misuse of punctuation, incoherent sentences, etc.

Although wise advice, I disagree with this. I have to because this platform is in English. What to a native English speaker may seem like bad word usage, probably seems excellent to the writer. Also consider, sentence structure and spelling vary from language to language. And since this platform uses translation software what we see in English may have been written by and translated from another language. Not having excellent grasp of the English language should not be a red flag. However, well written descriptions are a plus. Bad ones shouldn't be a minus.

• Like 42
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, timothykoen said:

because this platform is in English. What to a native English speaker may seem like bad word usage, probably seems excellent to the writer. Also consider, sentence structure and spelling vary from language to language. And since this platform uses translation software what we see in English may have been written by and translated from another language. Not having excellent grasp of the English language should not be a red flag. However, well written descriptions are a plus. Bad ones shouldn't be a minus.

That depends on the service being offered. If it's a gig that involves 'writing' in any capacity, than yes, poor English is a red flag. 

Quick clarification:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_(idiom)

The term red flag could mean [...], as a metaphor, a sign of some particular problem requiring attention.

This particular case (poor English) doesn't outright mean 'reject or avoid a gig', just 'proceed with caution and stay alert'. It's only one aspect to look at. 

HOWEVER: Consider also the idea of 'perceived quality' and 'perceived value'. Human behavior is erratic and irrational. People who are not self-aware are HIGHLY susceptible to biases, fallacies, and false assumptions. (Same for consumer behavior, which it's own whole sub-section of studies.) 

• Like 41
  • Confused 2
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, timothykoen said:

Not having excellent grasp of the English language should not be a red flag.

It depends.

If the seller is offering writing, proofreading, or editing in English, then bad English is definitely a red flag, because it means that that person is offering something they're unable to provide.

If they offer data entry, a poorly written gig description filled with errors is also a problem, because data entry has to be error-free.

And if the seller's English is really really really terrible, it's a huge problem no matter what they're selling, because communication is going to be a nightmare (and it's very possible that they simply won't be able to understand what the buyer needs from them).

• Like 38
  • Haha 2
  • Up 6

the interesting thing is that many many sellers are not english sellers, and in a worldwide marketplace like ours, the quality of the products is more important than the descriptions grammar. But yes, good grammar is a plus but not a game changing issue.

Edited by manuelmarino
  • Like 36
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, gina_riley2 said:

As an experienced buyer, I still find it daunting to filter thru thousands of gigs to find the right sellers. After hundreds of gig purchases, sometimes, I still get swindled by a newbie seller. Although, it's 2nd nature to me now, my 1st purchase was confusing and an overall bad experience.

A newbie buyer ordering from a newbie seller is basically, blind leading the blind. Neither one of you are sure how things work. One of you should have the experience to guide the other one on how to order, accept, and other questions.

Tips for new buyers:

1. Don't worry about levels, that's useless.

2. Look for sellers with at least 200 reviews. This will ensure the reviews are legit. Unfortunately, there are still scammers who buy or trade reviews.

3. Look at gig picture. Does it look nice or sloppy? Is it stolen off the internet (right click & reverse search) or original?

4. Actually read the sellers description on that gig. It doesn't matter what kind of gig you are buying, there is a universal sign for troublesome sellers:

* Bad grammar, misuse of punctuation, incoherent sentences, etc.

* Short description is a bad sign. The seller should write out what they will deliver and what they expect from you (the buyer).

* Sloppy description means sloppy delivery. If you see things like: Sir, Dear, etc. Not a good sign.

5. Do not message them via inbox, unless it's necessary.  As a buyer, once you contact a seller that way, they have unlimited access to contact you. It's a headache.

* Most established sellers should know better but not all of them follow the rules. You can get spammed with buy one get one free offer that you don't need or want.

* If you find a great seller that you are confident about then by all means have a convo with them about the order.

* If you have to message them, don't do a, "Hello, are you there." They may think you are a spammer. Add your question that wasn't answered in the gig description.

6. I know that there are different customs around the world where price negotiations are an every day thing. This platform is not one of them. Don't ask for a discount or offer them future work. There is no way to guarantee that. Established sellers will politely tell you to go away and then block you.

7. Regardless of who you hire, order a sample gig first. If they don't have a sample gig, it's okay to ask them, "Can I ask for a $10 or $20 sample?"

* They can send you a custom offer where they can do a small portion of your project. Afterwards, either you fit or not. Don't ask for modifications on a sample order.

* Don't ask for free samples. Time is money. You're not sampling wedding cakes for free, this is a freelance platform, pay for it!

* If sample is good or fits your need, discuss the project and place order.

* If sample isn't what you wanted, say thank you and go elsewhere. Just chaulk up your $20 as cost of doing business.

Note: In order for me to have found some really amazing sellers, I had to spend money on not so good and/or nightmare sellers. Don't let your first experience be a bad one. Buy from an established, well rounded seller.

After you've gained experience in buying, then you can trek into the pool of newbies to get yourself that diamond in a haystack. Many great and true professional sellers have to start here as a newbie and they need a chance.

Happy holidays everyone. 💙💛🤎

Here is my story,from other platform,but here i have the same problem.I gave proposal to buyer to cooperation.He unsered its too hard you cant do it.He concluded that from my history of selling services.Only because of he opened massages i could answer him.And send his edited image for free.Reaction was like wwooww fantastik exelent and said i better hired you than other freelancer.And i still work with him.And there are many jobs that i could do easily,but buyers just dont trust sellers without history or rating.Its so stresfull. 

• Like 31

• 7 months later...

👉 Clients will get lower prices and better quality services 

So who will work for the new sellers? Earlier Fiverr had a buyer request option, where work was found by reply. It does not exist now. Now brief option is enabled but it doesn't come to new sellers and mine doesn't come so far, I don't get a brief in my profile. So please tell how new sellers can get work. I think clients need to work from new seller, before ordering from new seller see enough portfolio and skills, new sellers will give better service than expert sellers with full response and attention, because he has other sellers. There is more time than He will work overtime. As a result, clients will get lower prices and better quality services

Edited by rashed10203
  • Like 16
  • Haha 3

On 11/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, rashed10203 said:

new sellers will give better service than expert sellers with full response and attention, because he has other sellers. There is more time than He will work overtime. As a result, clients will get lower prices and better quality services

I respectfully disagree with this. Top Rated Sellers and other high level sellers get so many orders for a reason, they are excellent at what they do, have very good time management skills and their customers are obviously satisfied with the level of service they receive. It is not like once a seller gets to Level 2 or Top Rated Seller they stop caring, they have to work hard to maintain that level. Would you stand by your comment that new sellers would be able to provide a better service than you if you one day get to Level 2 or TRS?

• Like 19
  • Up 3

Pretty old thread and one thing a lot of NEW SELLERS are missing out on, in the entire discourse is that -

When a new buyer works with an established seller, their probability of having a fruitful experience and eventually becoming a regular buyer on the platform is very high!! And a regular buyer will sooner or later work with a worthy new seller too for their business needs!!

This entire argument about ONLY new sellers offering great attention/service and cost-benefit is just delusional thinking!!🙅‍♂️

This is the reason why Fiverr puts greater emphasis on the gigs which service the new buyers well and even informs them through a separate mail when a 1st-time buyer places an order with them!! ⬆️

• Like 19
  • Sad 2
  • Up 5