Are we still okay?

theratypist

24 minutes ago, davydkoff said:

Why is it okay for everyone to post in the "News" topic? I've subscribed to this topic to get important news about Fiverr, not spam like this. Please prohibit other members from posting anything in the News section of the forum.

It would be nice to have the "News" category in the "From the Fiverr team" section.

Can we also have a dedicated section for buyers? Thanks!

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 77
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Spam, spam, spam everywhere! Someone, please take action.

I don't have the energy to report every single spam post. So, I want to draw the attention of staff members to this spam issue. The forum was spammed 3-4 hours ago and the spammer has created more than 29 posts. It's been 4 hours but the staff have not taken any action -- probably because no one else has reported anything. Can any available staff member please take a look at this and delete all these posts?

After deleting those, please feel free to delete this post as well (if you want).

@Kesha @Lena @milos_siena @frank_d @williambryan392

image.png.48d7ffc1b8d5317f726df863ac864ccb.png

• Like 12
  • Up 4

Arrrrggggg, those are the same users, if not the same posts, I reported last night (my time). Spam everywhere: inbox, forum. One day we'll wake up to having spam in our coffee...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, maitasun said:

Arrrrggggg, those are the same users, if not the same posts, I reported last night (my time).

The forum isn't moderated 24/7 so at times it can take longer to get to things, especially at the weekend. Please do flag these things when you see them and we'll try to clean them up as quickly as possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Forum Moderation - A Joke?

Yesterday, people were selling g#ns, and today, people are selling c@nn!bis (mar!ju@na) here on the forum. Out of 20 threads, 18 are related to buying dr#gs! C'mon Fiverr! It's been 30 minutes since the forum was spammed, and still, no action has been taken. Sure, maybe the moderators are away due to the time zone difference -- but all at once?

You're saying that on a billion-dollar platform, there is not even a single moderator active at any point? I have a Discord server with just a few thousand members, and no matter if you open the server at 02:00 at night, you will always find more than two moderators online (and active). This is the story of all platforms that are serious about what they are doing.

Sure, moderation is completely a voluntary task -- but you want to have people as moderators who are inactive, and then give the excuse that this is a voluntary task, so we're not working 24/7 here, so bear with the spam? No response can justify these actions.

On the main Fiverr platform, it's nearly impossible to stop spam, as without the manual input (report) of the seller, staff members won't know if their inbox is spammed by someone. But here on the forum, it's totally right there on the front page for everyone to see.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

I thought there used to be keywords that got a forum post hidden. Or maybe groups of them. Maybe writing "buy <certain word>" in the post title could be added to flagged words to get the post auto flagged & hidden for checking.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

I thought I got them all... I don't browse every category.

Wait! What! How did my thread land here?

This was created as a 'new thread' in the 'lounge' category, and then all of a sudden, it was shifted here as a general message. I also have a screenshot as proof that I posted it as a thread.

Was this done by a staff member just to throw my thread into an old thread to silence my voice, or is this a severe bug?

@Kesha @milos_siena @imagination7413 Could you please take a look, as how my thread merged into a thread of 2021? This place is really broken!!! 🙂

image.png.31344cd78ae3722202c6890527ba998d.png

Edited by rawque_gulia
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

I thought there used to be keywords that got a forum post hidden. Or maybe groups of them. Maybe writing "buy <certain word>" in the post title could be added to flagged words to get the post auto flagged & hidden for checking.

This place is totally broken and mismanaged. There’s no more fun here on the forum. And to be honest, watching people leave, I am also just one step away!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

This was created as a 'new thread' in the 'lounge' category, and then all of a sudden, it was shifted here as a general message. I also have a screenshot as proof that I posted it as a thread.

Forum rules:

image.png.ea87d667b5fcc069897d12b10b3c7114.png

Forum spam is (annoyingly) nothing new. If you really think your post should be it's own thread, then I'll split it, but it seemed more relevant to merge it, so you (and any other readers) could easily see the history of what's already been discussed.  

• Like 8

On 5/29/2024 at 2:26 PM, imagination7413 said:

Forum rules:

If you really think your post should be it's own thread, then I'll split it

It's totally fine, and I do not mind if it's merged with that intention. I am just curious why topics like 'how to rank my gig' or 'how to get orders' never get merged --- yet my topic was merged within minutes.

I agree that spam isn't new and can happen anywhere. However, when I joined in 2021, there was hardly any spam, and now it seems to have increased significantly. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, rawque_gulia said:

I am just curious why topics like 'how to rank my gig' or 'how to get orders' never get merged

They do. I'm only one person, though, and there are a LOT of those kinds of threads, and they are posted faster than they're easily merged, and I seem to be the only one who does bother to merge.

I agree with your observation on the new spam attack. (Just in the last 10 days, there've been over 300 of these particular type.)

• Like 9
  • Up 1

3 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

I agree with your observation on the new spam attack. (Just in the last 10 days, there've been over 300 of these particular type.)

Just throwing out a random feedback (not sure if it makes sense in all types of situations or if something will break):

How about if Fiverr blocks the right-click functionality on the forum and disables the 'paste' feature? With this, spam will be "completely stopped" because in every case, it's just a copied and pasted message using automation tools. It will also help Fiverr stop people from copying and pasting messages from ChatGPT. So, the forum will be completely (or at least 90%) spam free and free from AI content (that is against the rules).

• Like 7

Interesting idea. No clue if that's an option. 

The forums actually aren't Fiverr proprietary. They're using 'Invision Community' as a platform.

image.png.76158c1acc24196ba64f686053d437a9.png

(Found at the footer of every forum page.)

I'm one of the volunteers. I have no say in how the forums are run. After Fiverr killed the clubs, I have even less incentive to help. I only stick around for...

(...why do I still stick around...? What's the point?) 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

If the "activity" tab was added back people would be able to see all recent posts more easily so spam posts might be seen & removed without searching through threads.

Removing the paste option would also remove the valid uses of it too. Maybe some of the spammers might be using automation/scripts to create the posts.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 8

Just now, uk1000 said:

If the "activity" tab was added back people would be able to see all recent posts more easily so spam posts might be seen & removed without searching through threads.

Well, that makes sense why it was removed. No platform would want their spam posts to be seen by visitors, especially new visitors, at the top. So, nah, it doesn't even make any sense to get the activity tab back just because people can see the spam posts at the top.

1 minute ago, uk1000 said:

Removing the paste option would also remove the valid uses of it

Like, what valid use?

5 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Interesting idea. No clue if that's an option. 

The forums actually aren't Fiver proprietary. They're using 'Invision Community' as a platform.

I see! But as far as my knowledge goes (and even after discussing it with my wife, who is from a website development and design background), our own JavaScript or other scripts can be added even though we're integrating the forum from any third-party provider. So, maybe pass it on to the relevant team (if possible) so they can make this place wholesome again?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

Like, what valid use?

Like the following that I used to post in newcomer's 'how I mek-sel' threads:

image.png.d4a5ff1066cc1ddb272274af9ca7b058.png

11 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

So, maybe pass it on to the relevant team (if possible) so they can make this place wholesome again?

I'm pretty sure 'wholesome' hasn't been in their lexicon since they (Fiverr as a company) went public. 

That said. I have no way to forward this idea, other than tagging Staff, and (bluntly) I'd rather not draw attention to myself while I'm still a prickly ball of resentment and aggrievance. 

• Like 4
  • Up 4

3 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Like the following that I used to post in newcomer's 'how I mek-sel' threads:

Makes sense! Then maybe disable the paste functionality only for newcomers, those who have new accounts. Forums already have badges, so let's make use of them and define permissions based on roles. Even disabling the paste functionality for new accounts will solve mostly everything -- and let's agree that newcomers do not quote other threads like this.

Right now, we're giving suggestions just after thinking for 30 seconds, but if the official team takes this idea into consideration, then I am sure that something can be figured out and an algorithm can be prepared that can help in many ways.

• Like 6

I'd be more grateful if the main Fiverr platform had some kind of barrier to entry. Every single one of those posts were (as far as I could tell and as far as I bothered to check) made from brand new profiles, both on Fiverr and on the forum. Meaning they made Fiverr profiles, for the sole purpose of joining the forums and spamming their junk.

• Like 7
  • Up 2

On 5/29/2024 at 3:08 PM, rawque_gulia said:

Makes sense! Then maybe disable the paste functionality only for newcomers, those who have new accounts. Forums already have badges, so let's make use of them and define permissions based on roles. Even disabling the paste functionality for new accounts will solve mostly everything -- and let's agree that newcomers do not quote other threads like this.

Right now, we're giving suggestions just after thinking for 30 seconds, but if the official team takes this idea into consideration, then I am sure that something can be figured out and an algorithm can be prepared that can help in many ways.

On 5/29/2024 at 3:13 PM, imagination7413 said:

I'd be more grateful if the main Fiverr platform had some kind of barrier to entry. Every single one of those posts were (as far as I could tell and as far as I bothered to check) made from brand new profiles, both on Fiverr and on the forum. Meaning they made Fiverr profiles, for the sole purpose of joining the forums and spamming their junk.

Hi all! I appreciate the feedback and advice. They have been passed along for consideration on how we can continue to make the forum better. Thanks!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1