Don't lie about your location [ARCHIVED]

ronhi85

A big shoutout to everyone lying about their locations, I look forward to when Fiverr places attention on you all.

Meanwhile, I have a question though. What happens if I relocate from a country to another, say from the UK to Spain to live happily ever after? 😋

Well, you can relocate but you can’t have that happily ever after part. This guy tried…once…

shrek-forever-after.jpg.0a9fa9b88154c68887f0ea2998c56448.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i realized fiverr puts your country flag by location next to your Avatar, i was happy because im flying my country’s flag high. All the way from South Africa providing a service to someone in Denmark ,putting a smile in their face for providing to them a service they need. It’s more than just making a $5 Sale. Those hiding (for some obvious reasons) their location must wake up!

providing

Most of the buyers don’t mind who you are and where you are.It’s all about the way you speak to them,if you’re your communication is good they will be your repeat buyer.

I am an Indian seller and I contributed many buyers from various countries. They’re are all love my work.

Guest offlinehelpers

Did not know people could lie. I thought it automatically set your location.

Proxy servers - users than then set location to wherever they like!

So many people on Fiverr are lying about their geographical location. Well, I have bad news for you - clients can tell you are lying. All they have to do is read through your profile and they will know you come from Africa (like me) or Asia. Even if you manage to convince them to buy from you, your work will most likely not meet their standards and you will end up getting scathing reviews.

My advice? Just be honest about where you come from. Honesty is always the best policy. Lying will do you more harm than good.

Just be honest about where you come from.

Exactly. That’s the thing i hate most. Every body know where are you from by seeing your clock or time. lying about this just puts a bad impression about you and your work. Just be honest and do good work. if you cant value your own country and place, how would you expect others to value you and your work.

I never realized sellers will actually do such stupidity and lie about location. Ofcourse we cannot lie 😂

There are actually ‘tips’ and ‘guidelines’ on blackhat forums which give valuable guidance to both buyers and sellers on ‘how to make Fiverr work for you’.

None of those tips are any good, but other Fiverr members end up paying the price for the behavior of the newly enlightened chaps who read these tips. There are posts floating on the internet telling sellers that their chances of getting sales are proportional to the gender/timezone they display on their profile pic, similarly there are posts telling buyers that the best way to find a good seller is to ask them thousand questions before ordering a gig and to give them a small task to perform for free to judge their quality.

Maybe if someone wrote a post telling people “just be normal”, we wouldn’t have all these problems.

There are actually ‘tips’ and ‘guidelines’ on blackhat forums which give valuable guidance to both buyers and sellers on ‘how to make Fiverr work for you’.

None of those tips are any good, but other Fiverr members end up paying the price for the behavior of the newly enlightened chaps who read these tips. There are posts floating on the internet telling sellers that their chances of getting sales are proportional to the gender/timezone they display on their profile pic, similarly there are posts telling buyers that the best way to find a good seller is to ask them thousand questions before ordering a gig and to give them a small task to perform for free to judge their quality.

Maybe if someone wrote a post telling people “just be normal”, we wouldn’t have all these problems.

Yeah, I had one guy who kept asking me questions for 1 hour before he decided my delivery time was too high for him. Jeez, all he had to do was read my Gig description first.

Why, the location will remain unchanged? ✈️

Okay. Since I joined Fiverr, I’ve operated my account in 4 different countries that I travel to often. My location still reports my home, UK.

However, I have seen incidents where your location gets changed, but I don’t know how people go about that. A couple of friends who left the UK to spend time in South Africa and UAE. 2 of them got there location somehow swapped to one of those countries. lol. It appeared to be automatic if you ask me.

@ronhi85: I don’t get that either. The location of the seller is irrelevant to me. I’ve brought from every continent, except Antartica - that’s only because I’ve never found a seller from there.

Some of the giveaways are overuse of the words: Please, Dear, or using adjectives after the noun. I don’t really care - I’m not hiring them because their profile says they are from the U.S.A. I hired them because they had either a great profile or gig examples up.

Lol, Antarctica caught my attention.

So I just checked my Analytics Page to view my World Sales Domination, and Antarctica is not even on the world map on that page. I don’t get it, nobody lives in Artarctica? Just Bears?

So many people on Fiverr are lying about their geographical location. Well, I have bad news for you - clients can tell you are lying. All they have to do is read through your profile and they will know you come from Africa (like me) or Asia. Even if you manage to convince them to buy from you, your work will most likely not meet their standards and you will end up getting scathing reviews.

My advice? Just be honest about where you come from. Honesty is always the best policy. Lying will do you more harm than good.

i dont know why people lie about their location

is that a reason People lie About their GEO

I dunno, most of my sellers are not from USA. Here are my statistics:

USA/GB: 17

Other: 32

I can not verify that all 17 are really from the USA or not. There are a few that I question their location.

I have worked with 49 sellers; 45 of them since last August.

I can not verify that all 17 are really from the USA or not. There are a few that I question their location.

I have worked with 49 sellers

You haven’t worked with meh… :frowning2:

i think fiverr Seller need to Struggle on delivering Their orders with quality of work instead of wasting time with considering GEO locations,I even Don’t check Who the buyer is and from where .

I’m from Nigeria but I opened my fiverr account while i was in US. I got back to Nigeria late in December last year and my location still states US. I have never claimed to be a native speaker but I don’t know about location bringing in more sales because I’ve had just 7 orders since i joined fiverr 2 months ago and most of it was while in Nigeria. I guess I should have had more with the US location. I don’t think all buyers care about location because I’ve informed a buyer that I was presently in Nigeria in regards to an order and she didn’t care.
Honesty works!

i think fiverr Seller need to Struggle on delivering Their orders with quality of work instead of wasting time with considering GEO locations,I even Don’t check Who the buyer is and from where .

I have never paid attention to seller’s location either. This post got me curious, so I check my spreadsheet; some I knew & some I had to look up.

It was interesting, I have two writers/editors (sellers) who are non US based.

Lol, Antarctica caught my attention.

So I just checked my Analytics Page to view my World Sales Domination, and Antarctica is not even on the world map on that page. I don’t get it, nobody lives in Artarctica? Just Bears?

I want Iceland/Greenland on my map, if a buyer from there reads this, I promise a rebate! 😉

Maybe there´s a certain time threshhold, after which the location is changed? It makes no sense to change the location when a seller goes on a vacation or travels for business, but permanently or semi-permanently moving somewhere I guess does. Though I´m not so sure about the whole country-indication anyway, might be more useful if timezone or native level language/s of a seller got displayed. I guess country by IP is the easier option.

What I wonder now is, will the map stay the same, or will it change? Say I had a buyer who bought from me while they had an Iceland IP, later moved to Morocco to get away from all that snow, will I have Morocco instead of Iceland then for their orders?

Archived