Don't lie about your location [ARCHIVED]

ronhi85

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I still don’t understand why they lie?

I’m from Nigeria and I think it’s pretty clear why people hide their location. For certain services you render (say writing like myself) people tend to prefer those from “Native English speaking countries”.

It’s funny when you are aware your services are much better than those of certain persons from these appreciated regions, but you are ignored entirely because of your nationality. I’ve personally had to work extra hard to get to this point (Level 1 and pushing), but I sometimes get this feeling I’d have fared better if my location read: America.

So, bottom line: Honesty is the best policy. I know this, and I stand by it. But at times it feels as though running my service through another location would bring in more sales - and that is true.

I sometimes get this feeling I’d have fared better if my location read: America.

@rainny_writer: Maybe, maybe not. I would not hesitate to hire you because you have a very well written - flawless gig page. Yes, I did ❤️ one of your gigs.

It seems to me you only signed up last month and already have 22 reviews. That is actually amazing. Scour through this forum and you’ll see many sellers don’t even get their first order for several months after signing up - and many of them have awesome gigs.

There are those that do get tons of orders their first month or week, but most do not. I think you are doing great!!

I sometimes get this feeling I’d have fared better if my location read: America.

@rainny_writer: Maybe, maybe not. I would not hesitate to hire you because you have a very well written - flawless gig page. Yes, I did ❤️ one of your gigs.

It seems to me you only signed up last month and already have 22 reviews. That is actually amazing. Scour through this forum and you’ll see many sellers don’t even get their first order for several months after signing up - and many of them have awesome gigs.

There are those that do get tons of orders their first month or week, but most do not. I think you are doing great!!

@gina_riley2: I do appreciate that. Still working on myself, though. But, I must admit I’ve had it easier than most - like you pointed out.

And should I add that I look forward to working with you? Oh yes!! I just did.😀

@ ronhi85, this practice is everywhere and not just this platform. It is never justifiable to lie about one’s origin even though sometimes, ''these people" with false identities do make volumes of sales and I know what I’m talking about. If they’re incompetent, why would they be making these hell of sales? Truth be told, oftentimes they do this so as to have better opportunities. They want jobs and they have capacity but some Buyers believe that some jobs are better handled by Sellers from certain places - which sometimes do make sense and sometimes doesn’t. I’d stated before, I’d rather not make sales than deny my nationality. Denying your origin amounts to debasing your nation and yourself - self stigmatization of a sort. It’s one of those things really.

I’m from Nigeria and I think it’s pretty clear why people hide their location. For certain services you render (say writing like myself) people tend to prefer those from “Native English speaking countries”.

It’s funny when you are aware your services are much better than those of certain persons from these appreciated regions, but you are ignored entirely because of your nationality. I’ve personally had to work extra hard to get to this point (Level 1 and pushing), but I sometimes get this feeling I’d have fared better if my location read: America.

So, bottom line: Honesty is the best policy. I know this, and I stand by it. But at times it feels as though running my service through another location would bring in more sales - and that is true.

@ rainny_writer, If I’d seen this post of yours earlier, I wouldn’t have needed to post - since we’re literally saying the same thing word-for-word. Proud of your principled stand and thoughts.

Guest phantompower

I am considering moving to the garden of eden hopefully I will get more sales. I will even start a translating gig because I will start speaking animal

forecasrlife

I am originally from India but a US citizen now. However I was in Switzerland when I joined FIVERR.
So Fiverr shows my location as Switzerland. I think the buyer/seller has no control on this and so cannot understand where the question of lieing about location arises.

Further I do not know whether location affects number of orders one gets. This depends upon the quality of your work. I have just six orders in five months till now. It is OK.

I am proudly Nigerian too, and I never try to hide that. My regards to you!

I agree honesty is always the best policy–it is very obvious when someone puts “English” and their native language and they send a message that clearly shows otherwise. Location, language, etc. is all something people should be honest about.

Not to mention, your location can have it’s benefits. Say I’m looking to have a project done on the Netherlands or Africa, am I going to seek out an American designer or writer for the project? No, I’m going to search for someone who live and is naturally knowledgeable about the country.

Plus, it’s always fun to work with someone halfway around the world! 🙂

Yes, I love it when people say they are from the US and then I have no idea what they are trying to say to me in English…when I receive messages between 2 and 6 am from people with poor English about buying a gig, that might be a clue.

But I no mek any mistake…

Guest shubh2012

Yes, I love it when people say they are from the US and then I have no idea what they are trying to say to me in English…when I receive messages between 2 and 6 am from people with poor English about buying a gig, that might be a clue.

that’s true “DEAR” 😃

Absolutely true. Lots of people from Asia do that all the time. Some clients don’t like to work with them because of the time zone matter and also sellers can’t understand what buyers are asking for. I think that might be the reason why the try to hide their location

Absolutely true. Lots of people from Asia do that all the time. Some clients don’t like to work with them because of the time zone matter and also sellers can’t understand what buyers are asking for. I think that might be the reason why the try to hide their location

I saw a profile of a blonde white girl from Pakistan offering professional content writing services, 3000 words for 5$.

She even mentions in her sales pitch “I mek all efforts to please cliant. Cliant satesfection is my first goal”

What could possibly go wrong?

I wonder if they lie about their sex or picture is even real???

It’s “technically” not lying. This I say, because there’s nowhere on your fiverr profile where you get to include your sex. So, if you are confused by a picture… 😀…you are on your own.

But, honestly, it goes to show that people really prefer to patronize females on the platform. This explains why most decide to use female pictures (or names), without outrightly saying they are female…oops!😋

Archived