Don't lie about your location [ARCHIVED]

ronhi85

While I understand why some people feel the need to obfuscate their location. Fiverr is essentially a meritocracy. If you do good work you will get more work. We will all at some point be disappointed/ POed at the some projects that are sent to us. It happens and while it sucks, it is not fatal.

I am only as good as my last review and if it sucks I am not going to get more work.

I believe this might have been a quote from John F. Kennedy. It is one of my favorites.

“Forgive quickly, but remember their names.”

tw

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great post. Lying about your location can and will only help you temporarily, in the long run, you will be found out. I have had a pretty successful journey on Fiverr. Clients are surprised when they find out where I am from (most don’t bother to check at first because of my great portfolio).

I know buyers are more inclined to specific countries, however, with time, you will build integrity and have referrals and your location will no longer matter.

Love from Nigeria.

You are right for sure; Everyone should be honest about his / her location …

But I thought of something; What if a person has been living his entire life in “an Arabic-speaking Middle Eastern Country”, then suddenly he moved to somewhere in the other side of the world “Japan, China, USA, or any other country that differs in the speaking language and the culture” and he joined Fiverr and offered a service, for example; I will teach Arabic “which is the seller’s native language” for non-Arabic speakers, or; I will write an Arabic poetry or poem, or; I will design a brand logo, book cover, a website, etc. Here the buyer may be preferring to hire a seller with an Arabic background and aware of its cultures. Here I accept that the seller indicates his Arabic background and culture via his location, in order to show his eligibility to provide that service. So, oppositely by logic, I can NOT accept seller telling a location which is irrelevant to his culture nor his native language just for the purpose to gain a FAKE competitive advantage and furthermore to compete with those who are - by nature - more eligible to provide the same service.

Surely when a buyer starts a conversation with a seller, blended things will get clearer, and the buyer then can decide to hire the seller or not. For me, when I joined Fiverr, and for some reasons, I wanted to show up in my gig videos and speak about what I can do, more than just write a gig description.

Regards

You are right for sure; Everyone should be honest about his / her location …

But I thought of something; What if a person has been living his entire life in “an Arabic-speaking Middle Eastern Country”, then suddenly he moved to somewhere in the other side of the world “Japan, China, USA, or any other country that differs in the speaking language and the culture” and he joined Fiverr and offered a service, for example; I will teach Arabic “which is the seller’s native language” for non-Arabic speakers, or; I will write an Arabic poetry or poem, or; I will design a brand logo, book cover, a website, etc. Here the buyer may be preferring to hire a seller with an Arabic background and aware of its cultures. Here I accept that the seller indicates his Arabic background and culture via his location, in order to show his eligibility to provide that service. So, oppositely by logic, I can NOT accept seller telling a location which is irrelevant to his culture nor his native language just for the purpose to gain a FAKE competitive advantage and furthermore to compete with those who are - by nature - more eligible to provide the same service.

Surely when a buyer starts a conversation with a seller, blended things will get clearer, and the buyer then can decide to hire the seller or not. For me, when I joined Fiverr, and for some reasons, I wanted to show up in my gig videos and speak about what I can do, more than just write a gig description.

Regards

For this, you can write in your gig description, 1st line that you are from Arabic origins, and has lived most of your live in Egypt for example. That would be enough.

As I said before, for any gig where language is involved, location, ethnicity, background all matters. if you were living in a country and moved out, just indicate that in your gig description.

Guest avon_d

Agreed. I still don’t understand why they lie?

I think I know why they do that 😄 Sellers from USA and UK get orders from buyers more than other sellers. They trust their own people more than others. So most of the sellers try to pretend they are from USA and UK.

Guest offlinehelpers

I think I know why they do that 😄 Sellers from USA and UK get orders from buyers more than other sellers. They trust their own people more than others. So most of the sellers try to pretend they are from USA and UK.

No, buyers just want sellers to be honest about where they work and the work in the portfolio being their own.

Speaking of which, both the gigs you’ve got up have images which are available from all over the web - did you really create them?

Buyer trust counts for an awful lot on Fiverr.

Guest avon_d

No, buyers just want sellers to be honest about where they work and the work in the portfolio being their own.

Speaking of which, both the gigs you’ve got up have images which are available from all over the web - did you really create them?

Buyer trust counts for an awful lot on Fiverr.

Yaiks, 😨 Thank you for pointing out it for me! I agree with you I took free resources from the web to create those images. Although I have edited them for my requirement those are not my own work. So I think I better change them.

Guest offlinehelpers

Yaiks, 😨 Thank you for pointing out it for me! I agree with you I took free resources from the web to create those images. Although I have edited them for my requirement those are not my own work. So I think I better change them.

Excellent idea - I’m sure your gigs will benefit from using your own images! 🙂

forecasrlife

I am originally from India but a US citizen now. However I was in Switzerland when I joined FIVERR.

So Fiverr shows my location as Switzerland. I think the buyer/seller has no control on this and so cannot understand where the question of lieing about location arises.

Further I do not know whether location affects number of orders one gets. This depends upon the quality of your work. I have just six orders in five months till now. It is OK.

Hahah I’m Canadian but have been living in the UK for the last six years but also travel extensively so event hough my flag is the UK one, I’m Canadian! 🙂

Guest flomaestro

So many people on Fiverr are lying about their geographical location. Well, I have bad news for you - clients can tell you are lying. All they have to do is read through your profile and they will know you come from Africa (like me) or Asia. Even if you manage to convince them to buy from you, your work will most likely not meet their standards and you will end up getting scathing reviews.

My advice? Just be honest about where you come from. Honesty is always the best policy. Lying will do you more harm than good.

In as much as I agree completely with you on the issue of honesty, I totally disagree with…

" Even if you manage to convince them to buy from you, your work will most likely not meet their standards and …" .

This is because, to a very large extent, your location is not as important as what you can deliver. It does not mean because you are from Africa, you can’t deliver a STANDARD job, as you have alluded to above.

This is simply false and misleading. Regardless of where you are from, if you are excellent at your craft, you will always deliver the best jobs.

I am into Music and Audio, From Nigeria, and I made Fiverr level 2 in 2 months. Yes, I am GOOD at what I do. And NO, I have NEVER lied about where I am from.

Nutshell, lying about where you are from doesn’t translate to delivery of “sub-standard” stuff

This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE !!!

Peace!

Well Well. I Wonder if people’s location is very important In the globalized World we are living on. Exemple : me, I’m often on move between west and eastern Europa. Do i need to change my location everyday ? 🙂 just kidding i dont understand why is the place where people live that important.
Best regards.

Well Well. I Wonder if people’s location is very important In the globalized World we are living on. Exemple : me, I’m often on move between west and eastern Europa. Do i need to change my location everyday ? 🙂 just kidding i dont understand why is the place where people live that important.

Best regards.

Well said.

Although, when I was looking for translators, I did specifically look for people living in the country of spoken language.

Well said.

Although, when I was looking for translators, I did specifically look for people living in the country of spoken language.

Well, I’m glad you found me! 😜

but wait…it might be all a lie…I’m not Japanese…⛩️ I might be from outer space…🚀

Well, I’m glad you found me! 😜

but wait…it might be all a lie…I’m not Japanese…⛩️ I might be from outer space…🚀

I might be from outer space…🚀

I knew that already!! 😀

I’m also from space, infiltrating humanoid lifeforms and tracking other 👽 . (No sense in keeping it a secret anymore)

So far, by being on 5r, I’ve located . . .

Archived