Don't lie about your location [ARCHIVED]

ronhi85

I want Iceland/Greenland on my map, if a buyer from there reads this, I promise a rebate! 😉

Maybe there´s a certain time threshhold, after which the location is changed? It makes no sense to change the location when a seller goes on a vacation or travels for business, but permanently or semi-permanently moving somewhere I guess does. Though I´m not so sure about the whole country-indication anyway, might be more useful if timezone or native level language/s of a seller got displayed. I guess country by IP is the easier option.

What I wonder now is, will the map stay the same, or will it change? Say I had a buyer who bought from me while they had an Iceland IP, later moved to Morocco to get away from all that snow, will I have Morocco instead of Iceland then for their orders?

I really am not sure about the change in map. I believe it would still remain practically the same for the “World Domination” on the Analytics page as you did make a sale to someone in Country A before he/she moved to Country B, subsequent sales to such same person after his/her flag has changed from A to B would be recorded as sales in Country B.

Usually, Fiverr picks your timezone from your computer time zone. If I go ahead and shift my time zone hours back say -6 for some parts of USA, fiverr will still show my flag as UK but my timezone will say otherwise. Pedantic buyers could spot this and have suspicions about my account.

I’ve studied Fiverr overtime and I’ve come to realise that to an extent, they don’t care about your location, what would be a wrong thing to do is just exactly what the OP has said. If you are from South Africa or Malaysia, do not use a VPN to set up an account in the USA or the UK, no no no, that’s an act of irresponsibility, lol.

Suspicious logins could trigger account limitations, and a manual review from Fiverr Support Team, now anyone who’s lying about his location could be busted in this scenario, and his/her flag changed to the Country he belongs to.

With all that said, let me make myself a cup of coffee. 😉:yum:

Quick Unrelated Question, how do top sellers cope with 100 orders in queue, I mean I’m dying here already with just 13 😥

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Iceland/Greenland on my map, if a buyer from there reads this, I promise a rebate! 😉

Maybe there´s a certain time threshhold, after which the location is changed? It makes no sense to change the location when a seller goes on a vacation or travels for business, but permanently or semi-permanently moving somewhere I guess does. Though I´m not so sure about the whole country-indication anyway, might be more useful if timezone or native level language/s of a seller got displayed. I guess country by IP is the easier option.

What I wonder now is, will the map stay the same, or will it change? Say I had a buyer who bought from me while they had an Iceland IP, later moved to Morocco to get away from all that snow, will I have Morocco instead of Iceland then for their orders?

I want Iceland/Greenland on my map,

Yes, I’d love to work with a seller from Greenland too; still looking for someone in Antarctica!!

Okay, that Antarctica one is a joke. I’m pretty sure no one lives there.

Believe it or not, I have yet to work with anyone from Canada. So, for me Greenland and Canada are the two biggest countries still not colored in blue.

I really am not sure about the change in map. I believe it would still remain practically the same for the “World Domination” on the Analytics page as you did make a sale to someone in Country A before he/she moved to Country B, subsequent sales to such same person after his/her flag has changed from A to B would be recorded as sales in Country B.

Usually, Fiverr picks your timezone from your computer time zone. If I go ahead and shift my time zone hours back say -6 for some parts of USA, fiverr will still show my flag as UK but my timezone will say otherwise. Pedantic buyers could spot this and have suspicions about my account.

I’ve studied Fiverr overtime and I’ve come to realise that to an extent, they don’t care about your location, what would be a wrong thing to do is just exactly what the OP has said. If you are from South Africa or Malaysia, do not use a VPN to set up an account in the USA or the UK, no no no, that’s an act of irresponsibility, lol.

Suspicious logins could trigger account limitations, and a manual review from Fiverr Support Team, now anyone who’s lying about his location could be busted in this scenario, and his/her flag changed to the Country he belongs to.

With all that said, let me make myself a cup of coffee. 😉

Quick Unrelated Question, how do top sellers cope with 100 orders in queue, I mean I’m dying here already with just 13 😥

I’ve seriously wondered about this myself. I once had about 4 orders in queue, and nearly fell off a chair due to the pressure. I still need “tutorials” on how to cope with the pressure and responsibility associated with so many orders in queue.

Funnily, when I have so many orders, it’s scary; once it’s all done and I have no order in queue, it becomes frustrating.

I want Iceland/Greenland on my map,

Yes, I’d love to work with a seller from Greenland too; still looking for someone in Antarctica!!

Okay, that Antarctica one is a joke. I’m pretty sure no one lives there.

Believe it or not, I have yet to work with anyone from Canada. So, for me Greenland and Canada are the two biggest countries still not colored in blue.

That’s fun, I have quite some orders from Germany, maybe because Germans are better able to tell if a seller really translates manually into German or uses Google 😉

Maybe we should post in Suggestions that Fiverr should target the giant untapped market up there in Greenland. <. < Antarctica, well, there’s research stations at both pole areas I think, but maybe their Internet is shoddy…

On topic, I haven’t based any of my decisions to pick up a job from a buyer or not on their country showing in their profile yet, if I didn’t take a job it had other reasons, and I think as a buyer I’d just care about the country, if I’d need someone with certain background for a job, and obviously if I need a writer for English articles I can’t need anyone with a dozen grammar or spelling mistakes in a text the length of their profile text;

I don’t want to judge though, nor type dissertation, this is a wide field, just this, lying about your country because some dubious blog told you to is really silly.

I’ve seriously wondered about this myself. I once had about 4 orders in queue, and nearly fell off a chair due to the pressure. I still need “tutorials” on how to cope with the pressure and responsibility associated with so many orders in queue.

Funnily, when I have so many orders, it’s scary; once it’s all done and I have no order in queue, it becomes frustrating.

Simple, increase your delivery time. There are some sellers that have 100 orders and a delivery time of 3 days or so. They have a team working for them. As for me, I used to have 50-60 orders in my queue, these days I have 30 to 40, but I manage by having a higher delivery time.

That’s fun, I have quite some orders from Germany, maybe because Germans are better able to tell if a seller really translates manually into German or uses Google 😉

Maybe we should post in Suggestions that Fiverr should target the giant untapped market up there in Greenland. <. < Antarctica, well, there’s research stations at both pole areas I think, but maybe their Internet is shoddy…

On topic, I haven’t based any of my decisions to pick up a job from a buyer or not on their country showing in their profile yet, if I didn’t take a job it had other reasons, and I think as a buyer I’d just care about the country, if I’d need someone with certain background for a job, and obviously if I need a writer for English articles I can’t need anyone with a dozen grammar or spelling mistakes in a text the length of their profile text;

I don’t want to judge though, nor type dissertation, this is a wide field, just this, lying about your country because some dubious blog told you to is really silly.

and I think as a buyer I’d just care about the country, if I’d need someone with certain background for a job

The only time I actually looked at the country of origin for my sellers were for the translation service. Truth be told, the country alone was not enough for me to click “order” in the bid on B. R. I checked out each of their profile.

I have a feeling the ****** people are lying because I've been ripped off by them twice. I can see why they are lying this whole website is a ripoff. I hope it gets closed down.

Mod Note: This is a reply to a thread that was flagged for inappropriate content!

“Oh, please!!” Just because you got ripped off by two sellers who happens to be from ******doesn’t mean everyone from **** is a scam artist.

I’ve been buying here for over a year now, more so the past six months and I’ve had bad experiences from sellers all over the world. For every one bad experience, I’ve had 20 good ones, so if you want to leave then by all means go.

I’m sticking around because I’ve gotten great artwork, cartoon, avatar, editing, proofreading, translation service, eBook Covers, etc. at fraction of what I would pay elsewhere. Granted, I have to filter through a few not so reputable sellers, here and there.

If you spend anytime reading through the threads, nothing ticks off a hard working, honest seller more than a scam artist seller. It hurts them more than it hurts us.

Guest offlinehelpers

how does laying about someone’s location bring him more customers ?

cheers from egypt ^^

In the same way that having an image of a pretty lassie is perceived to bring more customers.

Guest zakiller

In the same way that having an image of a pretty lassie is perceived to bring more customers.

In the same way that having an image of a pretty lassie is perceived

well that may attract some customers ,but I don’t think that lying about my location will bring me more or less customers as long as my work is looks good.

It’s “technically” not lying. This I say, because there’s nowhere on your fiverr profile where you get to include your sex. So, if you are confused by a picture… 😀…you are on your own.

But, honestly, it goes to show that people really prefer to patronize females on the platform. This explains why most decide to use female pictures (or names), without outrightly saying they are female…oops!😋

Nice one hahaha​:grinning:😀 you are funny

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, very bad idea to lie about where one lives.

If I tell client I live in USA he/she will know once I correct them on the pronunciation of my name.

Americans call me Jack Apple but my real name is pronounced /shak/ /ap-le/.

very sad for me if I lie.

What’s that, Jake? (20 chars)

Archived