Fiverr just updated the rating system, how do you feel about it?

donnovan86

6 minutes ago, smashradio said:

About time. Some gen alpha intern must have come up with that idea in the first place. 

I don't know what to think of this, honestly. 

This will make our support after the order is completed more important as well. If they buyer has a question or want something changed after the order is technically complete, and you say "no", they can fry you in an updated review. Just something to think about for sellers who are very strict on their revision policy. This change would only be "fair" if sellers also could edit their review. But that won't happen. 

True but even if sellers were able to edit their review, it’d make no difference as the buyers have nothing to lose but it’s a good thing that we can easily prevent this by submitting our review. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, zerlina84 said:

Apparently, no, they can’t.

As soon as you leave your review, they can’t edit it anymore (and thank God for that).

It’s just a pointless “update”.

Yes, of course, but if you forget... 

But yes, I agree, it's pointless. 

The other changes I completely get. But surely, if the problem is buyers leaving the wrong review, something is wrong with the review system, and I think they're partially fixing that now that they return to star ratings. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 1
  • Up 3

8 minutes ago, zerlina84 said:

It’s just a pointless “update”.

I mean, it does allow the buyer a way to modify their review if they made a mistake. There were many sellers who stated that buyers went to customer support to change their review. So I guess it happened so often to the point where they made this change. 

• Like 2

Just now, donnovan86 said:

I mean, it does allow the buyer a way to modify their review if they made a mistake. There were many sellers who stated that buyers went to customer support to change their review. So I guess it happened so often to the point where they made this change. 

And that was Fiverr's fault in the first place for messing up the entire review system overnight. 

• Like 3
  • Up 5

Just now, zerlina84 said:

First of all, what I called “pointless” was the editing of reviews.

Second of all, I don’t know about “sane”, but I was just as professional as I am today. Weren’t you?

This is just a way to penalize people who have been here longer.

No, I wasn't. I was a 17 year old kid who just wanted to make quick money. 10 years later, I have travelled the world, got married, bought my dream car, earning hundreds of thousands of dollars (providing exceptional customer service and solutions to clients). So, is it fair to take into account my amateur thinking 10 years ago?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

But I guess we can't have the cake and eat it too. They're fixing the emojies. Great! 

The rest probably won't matter that much for most sellers, unless they rely on old reviews while the new ones aren't that great due to the new system. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 5
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smashradio said:

The rest probably won't matter that much for most sellers. 

I think the only thing that matters here is the fact they are not showing lifetime gig ratings. They only calculate based on the past 2 years. And I am sure there will be plenty of people with few reviews that will be affected. Otherwise I agree, most changes aren't that significant. But I think this will shake things up a bit.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I like these changes (especially getting rid of those emojis 😁). Two years seem fair enough. 

Public ratings will reflect two years back from the most recent review 

Since @Kesha's thread is closed for replies, there's one more interesting thing:

We previously let you know that we tested incorporating private reviews in the public rating calculation—we will not be incorporating the private rating in this calculation.

So, we are basically back to an updated version of the previous rating system, and private reviews will not affect our public rating. 

Edited by vovkaslovesnyy
  • Like 4
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m just tired of this. That’s how I feel. 

Review editing could be useful in case of accidental 4*s. Probably won’t be against 4.7*s which are the real danger that will slowly drag a 5.0* profile down. 

• Like 7
  • Up 5

24 minutes ago, zerlina84 said:

This is just a way to penalize people who have been here longer.

Partially true but its the evolved gamification of the entire thing we have been subjected to with the new system!! 

One has to constantly deliver orders to retain their gig rating while their ranking is dependent on being compared to other sellers in the category!! 🤐

We are pretty much surviving in the matrix, now. 

The Matrix' has a fifth film in the works and, no, this is not a simulation  | CNN

• Like 3
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

I can see some manipulative buyers stating "hey I left you a bad review, but if you do X amount of extra work, I will change the review". But I think that's a negligible amount. 

In situations like this, I believe sellers should be able to approach support to report such manipulative actions

• Like 4

Can someone please give me a tl'dr and whether we are all outraged about this or feel another emotion, good or bad? 

I don't like the sound of the 2-year thing, but that's only because I've been sick for the past two years so I have no- to low-reviews. I don't have a problem getting shiny new awesome reviews, obvs -touch wood - but the problem is actually getting work due to Fiverr's apparently-broken platform and of course, me having the absolutely sickening gall to be OOO for two years due to repeated hospitalizations and a complete inability to do anything except wait for the good Lord to take me in his arms. I do apologize to the Fiverr algorithm for not being a machine and having to deal with the inconvenience of having a rubbish body that doesn't work good. 

I don't know why we just had a 3-month emoji period when everyone and their dog was telling them that they were a terrible idea. did we really need 3 months of testing to confirm what everyone was saying? Sometimes user opinion is the best data. Not what some broken AI machine and endlessly-mucked-around algo thinks. 

Personally, I think the whole thing was a gigantic waste of time. Fiverr's doing 2x product releases a year now, presumably to showcase their superb levels of innovation to listless investors. Does this mean that every ~6mo sellers will have to suffer through pointless updates that get rolled back after "testing" is completed? Because I do remember the testing was meant to be finished on March 14, the end of the so-called "transitional period". 

Good riddance etc. 

(I am neutral on this whole change - for now. I'm not neutral on the endless mucking about with the market for no real reason)

• Like 7
  • Up 4

2 minutes ago, abbeycity said:

hey I left you a bad review, but if you do X amount of extra work, I will change the review"

this was present 10 years ago , it happened a few times 🙂 I got similar messages in the past , it happened recently as well in a different context, the buyer said that he doesn't want to leave a bad review but he is going to do so if I don't cancel an order 🙂

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, emmaki said:

Can someone please give me a tl'dr and whether we are all outraged about this or feel another emotion, good or bad? 

I think most of us are neutral about this, Emma.

This update doesn't really make any positive difference to our stressed-out existence!! 🥲

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

I think most of us are neutral about this, Emma.

This update doesn't really make any positive difference to our stressed-out existence!! 

I'm actually positive on this one. 

1) It not being horrible is already a very good change of pace, given my (justified) general expectations of "changes to the review system".

2) Removing the emojis for good is 100% positive, no draw backs.

3) The rest of the changes seem neutral overall, upsides (get rid of old past performance that may no longer reflect anything) and downsides (not very clear indication to what's changing, ability for unrated buyers to change their review).

So, all in all, this is "good".

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 3

Nope, just the realization that these product releases don't really mean anything - except of course, they do to the people whose livelihoods they are playing with. If they'd focus on actually doing something about specific types of problem users rather than making blanket AI systems to "regulate" the marketplace as a giant blob of users, it might be a different story.

Won't hold my breath for anyone at FiverrCorp to suddenly have an epiphany though. 

• Like 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Could we talk about how Fiverr prioritizes the buyers more than sellers?

- Fiverr can manage a complex system Change/edit reviews, but somehow they are unable to fix the problem of revisions. If the buyer agreed with X revisions they must pay for additional revisions and not request unlimited revisions. Otherwise, the add-ons "buy additional revision" is useless.

- When Fiverr will stop to penalize the sellers for cancelations and for receiving 1 star review? Even Fiverr Staff say that's impossible to deal with some customers, so why derank the sellers account? At least the seller should not be affected if receive 1 star review or 1 cancelation in a period of 3 months, this is fair thing!!!

- Once again I stop the "Promoted Gig", is not just with me but for many sellers: Suddenly when you activate the promotion this brings you a lot of results, but in the next month you get nothing with this feature. I'm not sure how this algorithm works, but for sellers it goes from 100% to 0% from a month to the other.

- When Fiverr will remove the response rate on weekends? Can we add a auto-reply for these days? Let's say the true most of the buyers only decide the things on the next week, not on Sunday.

Stop to igore Sellers Requests!
The Sellers are tired of changes that benefits only one side.

• Like 5
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, donnovan86 said:
  • They are reverting from emojis back to stars, which definitely makes the platform feel and appear more professional. I was not a fan of emojis myself, either.
  • Public scores for our gigs will only reflect the average score for the past 2 years. So even if you have 5000 reviews that on average had 5.0 stars (for a gig that has been around since 2015), the public score for that gig will only take into account your average review score for the past 2 years. Not sure how I feel about this, because that means all those old reviews are neglected, even if they were very accurate. Fiverr says they want to show the average, recent quality of the seller. I guess it's yet another way for them to eliminate meksells that tried to curate reviews in the past few years. 
  •  The rating breakdown also seems to be updated. Which means there are new/updated questions. 
  • And this is another big one. Buyers now have the option to edit reviews for up to 14 days after they leave a review. However, it's either 14 days or until the seller leaves their own review. That means, if you don't want your buyer to randomly change their review, you may want to share your own review and not wait. 

Removing emojis are good. Not sure why they were there in first place.

Average score for the past 2 years. So basically, all the work we did before 2 years (even thousands of clients), doesn't mean anything. Basically more then 10 years on Fiverr and only 1-2 years on Fiverr is same thing.

New/updated questions - not sure if someone mentioned in the thread or show what what new questions are there. But, if there is still value of delivery, they didn't do anything.

Editing review up to 14 days for buyers... Why? If they added option for editing review, why not making it to 24 hours? If buyer made mistake, they will edit right away, not after 10 days or more. 

I am just wondering now, did Fiverr ever asked sellers for any updates they do, or they are just throwing new updates that doesn't make sense at all?

• Like 4

It's not about the "assets" (which is how sellers are described in Fiverr's investor literature, and probs buyers too but I can't remember rn). It's about the investors.

Investors like to see that stuff is being "done". Now that emoji reviews are in the past tense they've just "done" a new thing. See how it works?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, premiumedit said:

You're thinking too much about it, I feel. Toxic buyers are rare. No one is so evil to just manipulate some one every time. I feel you feel scared because you encounter such buyers and behaviors too often. Maybe increase the price to filter out such buyers and possibilities. It doesn't make sense that a buyer will "under-rate" someone who just over-delivered. For me, this update is just like any other update where it makes me provide excellent service. 

I would heavily disagree. Toxic buyers are VERY common—and try to take advantage of sellers quite frequently. (Even if you've tried to weed them out via raising your prices)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, emmaki said:

Nope, just the realization that these product releases don't really mean anything - except of course, they do to the people whose livelihoods they are playing with. If they'd focus on actually doing something about specific types of problem users rather than making blanket AI systems to "regulate" the marketplace as a giant blob of users, it might be a different story.

Won't hold my breath for anyone at FiverrCorp to suddenly have an epiphany though. 

I'm mostly positive, or just meh, about these changes. 

Fiverr hasn't really done anything to deserve my goodwill except sending me work, and I'm not complaining about that, but let's just say I'm so little impressed with the changes, mostly to the way Fiverr have been communicating, that I'm meh about most things. 

Overall, I see this as a good change. They've listened, probably not to us (even though they say this is because of our valuable feedback), but to the data that shows what a sh*tshow this has been. 

• Like 3
  • Up 3

Can someone explain please. I have confusion about buyers editing their reviews.

Did it mean, if a seller submits their review, buyer won't be able to edit their review ?

If yes, how buyers will edit in case of mistake ? specially when they say even CS won't edit.

• Like 2