Fiverr steals your tips

How could I not now that fiverr steals 20 % of your tips ? This is a foul practice that should be brought to the front and loudly put to fiver for remedy and compensation for this theft. We pay 20% of our orders to fivver for the privilege to use this platform ...tips are given for exemplary service.  Yet fiverr takes 20 of your tips ..that's unreal . For what .what did fiver do to earn any percent of a tip.? Any one else feel that this should stop?

• Like 4
  • Congrats! 1

57 minutes ago, kevinjohnson460 said:

How could I not now that fiverr steals 20 % of your tips ? This is a foul practice that should be brought to the front and loudly put to fiver for remedy and compensation for this theft. We pay 20% of our orders to fivver for the privilege to use this platform ...tips are given for exemplary service.  Yet fiverr takes 20 of your tips ..that's unreal . For what .what did fiver do to earn any percent of a tip.? Any one else feel that this should stop?

This is the best argument to make if you want to demonstrate that you paid no attention to how Fiverr works and simply skipped the actual words that adults are supposed to read and comprehend.

This has been asked by noobs hundreds of times and answered every time. Why not learn why this is not only necessary, but also something that was disclosed in the TOS, which you apparently did not read. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Why not learn why this is not only necessary,

I could argue against that all day long. I do not agree with the commission on tips, at all.

But pretending it is a surprise is a very different matter.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

I could argue against that all day long. I do not agree with the commission on tips, at all.

But pretending it is a surprise is a very different matter.

But you know what would happen if it were not there. Agree, the point is that someone gets outraged when they get their first paycheck from McDonald's at the age of 15, and because they grew up in a bubble, become outraged after receiving $85 after taxes instead of $100. Heads explode when they learn that a paycheck is not the same as a $20 in the birthday card from Grandma.  Fun watching the chicks hatch though. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, yourbrandingpal said:

Feel free to sue them. You might find enough people on the forum to join you.

How do you sue someone for doing exactly what you agreed to when signing up for the service? One sues for breach of contract, but in this instance, Fiverr is doing exactly what they say they will do and the OP agreed to it.  Plus, if someone is complaining about a few dollars missing from a tip, they are most likely not able to hire the attorneys needed to sue a company worth hundreds of millions. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 3
  • Up 1

4 minutes ago, newsmike said:

How do you sue someone for doing exactly what you agreed to when signing up for the service? One sues for breach of contract, but in this instance, Fiverr is doing exactly what they say they will do and the OP agreed to it.  Plus, if someone is complaining about a few dollars missing from a tip, they are most likely not able to hire the attorneys needed to sue a company worth hundreds of millions. 

Because laws supersede terms and conditions. Terms and conditions cannot be illegal. Companies can't take shelter under terms and conditions that are illegal. Questionable practices will have to be dealt with accordingly. Of course laws in my country are more consumer oriented, doesn't mean it would be the same elsewhere but if one does nothing, the outcome would be... Nothing.. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, yourbrandingpal said:

Because laws supersede terms and conditions. Terms and conditions cannot be illegal. Companies can't take shelter under terms and conditions that are illegal. Questionable practices will have to be dealt with accordingly. Of course laws in my country are more consumer oriented, doesn't mean it would be the same elsewhere but if one does nothing, the outcome would be... Nothing.. 

What is illegal about, "we charge 20% of all revenues"?  And what is the motivation to agree to that, then complain about it? More than likely not bothering to understand what they were agreeing to.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, newsmike said:

What is illegal about, "we charge 20% of all revenues"?  And what is the motivation to agree to that, then complain about it? More than likely not bothering to understand what they were agreeing t

Absolutely nothing immoral about taking a portion out of the money that's supposed to be entirely credited to the sellers? Well, that's fine, to his own. We can agree to disagree.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, yourbrandingpal said:

immoral about taking a portion out of the money that's supposed to be entirely credited to the sellers?

I am not a fan of Fiverr taking revenue from tips -- but asking the government to take action on Fiverr, when the government themselves are taking a huge percentage (20-40% depending on the country) of money in the name of taxes? What an irony! 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

I am not a fan of Fiverr taking revenue from tips -- but asking the government to take action on Fiverr, when the government themselves are taking a huge percentage (20-40% depending on the country) of money in the name of taxes? What an irony! 😂😂

That's all the more reason why they should intervene, because they take "hafta" 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, rawque_gulia said:

when the government themselves are taking a huge percentage (20-40% depending on the country) of money in the name of taxes? What an irony! 😂😂

It easily crosses 60% once we start factoring in the average 18% GST on all our expenses!! 🫠😂

• Like 2
  • Up 2

If you eat a meal in a restaurant and leave a tip, it's generally in the form of folding money.  The server slips the whole lot into their pocket, smiles, says thank you and y'all move on with your lives. 

If, on the other hand, you don't want to or are unable to leave folding money, you add an amount to the bill when presented and pay with your credit card.  This probably doesn't get noticed by the server.  They're taxed on it, since it shows up in their pay.  And the restaurant probably takes a cut, too. 

Moving on to how Fiverr deals with tips.  It's the latter method, rather than the former.

There's no way for a seller to be paid in cash - that would be communication outside Fiverr, which would be a breach of TOS. 

Fiverr takes 20% of *all* transactions.  That's clear from TOS.  Their margin is a good deal less than working through agencies, which margin is generally around 35%, only they don't tell you about that usually. 

Also, Fiverr is not a restaurant.

Edited by coerdelion
typo
  • Like 2
  • Up 1

Fiverr keeps 20% of tip simply because bad intentioned sellers started to charge just $5 per orders, and ask fat tips (which didn't had 20% feed in the past), so they could take more money out of fiverr.

• Like 1