What's the coolest book you have?

katakatica

Is this it? The first (or second) silly question this year (by me at least)? 

Yes!

Of course, before I tell you my choice, I'll have to explain the context (of course).

So... we play board games. A lot. Quite a bit of co-operative ones to boot, which often means Arkham Horror. 

Based on that (and yes, all the other Lovecraft Lore, I guess), someone created a COOKBOOK that's 'inspired' by the Necronomicon! The second I saw it somewhere I was like 'I need this'... and now I have it.

What's the best part about it though? 

It's called the NecroNOMNOMNOM...

Picture is from google because it's really dark inside today but if I ever cook from it I might share my... cute creations. 

But before the picture...

What is the coolest book YOU own? Why is it the coolest?

image.png.0a712d762ad89a4696289decc5ad78f0.png

• Like 24
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't hate me for this, but... 

I treasure these because they all mention a certain radio guy, turned web geek, then voiceover! 

image.thumb.png.95694809f055f3656ab2a7096da27c48.png

There's also a later version where Paul and Dawn somehow managed to confuse me with another Andy Moore who works in UK radio and TV.  Damn imposter.... lol 

I learned how to drive a desk in the studio that's pictured. Glory days. 

Then once I'd been bitten by the digital bug and got myself into making things work on mobile phones, there were these which all blew my tiny little autodidactic ADHD hyperfocus riddled autistic mind:

image.thumb.png.c0b8763fe802b125a6fa2fa0022ccb77.png

That covers my "Mobile Device Detection" code.

It sold 10,000 copies in the first 24 hours.

image.thumb.png.2af6f411deccd3b4e40ed28ef6b0eaea.png

That mentions the detection code, and my "WordPress Mobile Plugin".

image.thumb.png.508f923405d94f887844c044f3d7d7ce.png

That mentions both Mobile Web projects too. 

Talk about driving downloads! Things went MENTAL and these books helped me get over a hundred thousand users on each of my software projects. 

The radio and dummies ones are both signed, but I love this one the most:

image.thumb.png.69ce2076246e20ca38d0dac90f9a1c91.png

There are several other publications which mention me but the authors lacked the decency to ask permission or send me a freebie. 

Despite being used to seeing my name in newspapers thanks to my own articles and stupid stunts that earned me column inches over the years, it's weird to read about yourself, even weirder when you see your name in a book's index.

I am still humbled and full of thanks to the authors.

As for reading, I get no pleasure from fiction and have no time for it, if I buy a book it's because it contains something I want to learn: I've a fairly hefty stack of acting based stuff I'm very slowly working my way though.

3 hours ago, katakatica said:

Is this it? The first (or second) silly question this year (by me at least)? 

It isn't silly, it makes a thousand times more sense than those post where people open a data entry gig alongside 83,000 others and wonder why they're not meksellin...

On 1/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, andymoorevoice said:

thanks to my own articles and stupid stunts that earned me column inches over the years, it's weird to read about yourself, even weirder when you see your name in a book's index.

Now you've got me intrigued, Andy, with what these stupid stunts were? Care to make a boring Tuesday more entertaining with some Newspaper snippets?

Were you the only person in history ever recorded as making money out of a background removal gig? 😀

• Like 11

@Andy Well done!  That made a very boring Tuesday a bit more fun and interesting.  

That's definitely something to tell the grandkids about.

Sounds like your stories would be hilarious to hear over a few beers! 😀

But to stay on topic @katakatica !  Anyone that has kids must agree that the 'Gruffalo' is the best book ever made! It takes pride of place in my daughters rooms 

• Like 16

Mine. And yes, I ordered the services of a graphic artist to do the cover for me on Fiverr. 
Anyway, it's quite the accomplishment. I have written a non-fic cat care book too, plus a couple of other silly books.

This first one must be the best. I'll keep working on my writing!

4. aquaria_chronicles.jpg

• Like 20
  • Up 2

I dunno if I wanna call it "cool"... But I definitely consider it "intriguing"... I have a very dilapidated copy of the First Edition of Reader's Digest Treasury of Wit & Humour from the 50s. Basically this, but in even more rough shape. It's a collection of mainstream North American humour, and it's very much "of its era". It would definitely be cancelled these days, but the glimpse into the past is neat to see. A lot of it would almost count as "advanced dad jokes" these days though.

• Like 17

What an interesting topic! That cookbook is hilarious and I'm definitely checking it out.

My most interesting book is probably a first edition Old Mr. Boston's Official Bartending Guide.

I used to spend hours in used book stores and at library sales but I live in a small house and have no more room for books these days.

• Like 16

On 1/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, melanielm said:

What an interesting topic! That cookbook is hilarious and I'm definitely checking it out.

My most interesting book is probably a first edition Old Mr. Boston's Official Bartending Guide.

I used to spend hours in used book stores and at library sales but I live in a small house and have no more room for books these days.

It's really fun - not very practical to be honest (at least for a non-US person since a lot of the ingredients are from there) and there's two versions of each recipe (a dumbed down one and a 'fancy' one but if anything, it'll look awesome on our new cookbook shelf in the kitchen 😄
I want to go to more old bookstores and find some interesting books but lately I'm more into ready on my phone to be honest!

On 1/17/2023 at 7:45 PM, newsmike said:

Only been solved 3 times since 1934. 

We are planning on getting it! Will we solve it? Probably not. But we'll try! I've been waiting for it to go back on sale for a while now (not wanting to pay and 'get it whenever' which is the option Amazon suggests. 

• Like 15

My coolest, to me, book is one of the Jedi Padawan series. I read them to/with my son, and somehow we ended up with one double, so that's mine, and the feeling and memories when looking at it make it the most valuable book in my shelf. Followed closely by the books that my son gave me as gifts. I also have a more objectively valuable Alice in Wonderland edition, but if I could only keep one book, it would be the Jedi Padawan paperback.

Seen through the eyes of people who've seen my book shelf, the most cool book, or rather books, seem to be the 18 volumes of the original Alice in Borderland manga.

• Like 12

I have a few "Art of:" and "Complete Works" books, but if you want 'coolest', then this one has a shiny holo-foil cover. Rockman/Megaman Zero Official Complete Works (English-translation, not sure which edition). It's VERY shiny. (That 'holographic' cover makes it tricky to photograph, based on a quick internet search.)

image.png.c373512f140b8ad3dcc020f3878f2f68.png

• Like 12

22 hours ago, katakatica said:

I want to go to more old bookstores and find some interesting books but lately I'm more into ready on my phone to be honest!

I'm curious, do you get the same type of feeling reading from the phone like you do when you read from paper back? 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, alphabase said:

I'm curious, do you get the same type of feeling reading from the phone like you do when you read from paper back? 

So the short answer is no. Nothing beats lounging on the sofa with tea and a lovely book that still smells like books and-

The long answer though (which I probably could have explained) I broke my glasses and was without them for two months. I already spend most of my day on the computer and I think reading actual books for some reason was harder. I noticed the same thing when I was without them for years as well, choosing a small but nearby screen over books or a monitor to be able to see better. I also have headaches when I can't see well (go figure) so I guess I just go for the comfier option. 

I hope to be able to read more now that I can see again and my eyes 'zoom' (aka, focus) properly with the new glasses I got a few days back! I still love ebooks though part of it is how fast I can go through them ( I choose shorter ones usually.)

• Like 14

Hmmm 🤔 the first only probably will be “the ride” the classic for custom built motorcycles around the world. 
and second one is Sherlock Holmes in a nice design with gold pages. 
We relocate quite a lot so we can’t take a lot of stuff with us every time but keeping this books with us. 

6099E41D-4628-4C3F-95AA-8593382B96D4.jpeg

17813427-FDFC-4685-8C34-B87EA88E438E.jpeg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly. It's the phenomenal true story of the black female mathematicians at NASA whose calculations helped fuel some of America’s greatest achievements in space. This book is incredibly important for understanding race, discrimination, and achievement in America today.

• Like 12

This is one of my favorite writers, Thomas Harris. When I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. Some people have told me that it is too gorry. I have read several other books of his, but this one is by far the best. I had to read the other books and watch the movies that were made about this psychiatrist, Hannibal Lecter.  This  story is soooooooo good. 

image.jpeg.561ea07fb6bb68f676dfb046bbcf7290.jpeg

Edited by kendal1747
  • Like 6