How do you get video footage for your voice over gig?

radio_mark

Question

I am new to Fiverr and I have a question about Voice Overs.  I have noticed many sellers have video footage in their profiles.  How are people obtaining these?  I know some sellers have probably done TV ads so they have access to video.  But I doubt there are really that many people who have voiced BMW or Buffalo Wild Wings commercials.  Do people just rip off a commercial and add their own voice to it?  Do you just get stock footage somewhere and make your own VO and script?  Is there some feature of Fiverr I am missing here?  I don't understand how even some new sellers can have pristine video even if the audio quality isn't always good.   I feel very overwhelmed picking my best audio clips from my career and now am having to worry about video.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, radio_mark said:

I am new to Fiverr and I have a question about Voice Overs.  I have noticed many sellers have video footage in their profiles.  How are people obtaining these?  I know some sellers have probably done TV ads so they have access to video.  But I doubt there are really that many people who have voiced BMW or Buffalo Wild Wings commercials.  Do people just rip off a commercial and add their own voice to it?  Do you just get stock footage somewhere and make your own VO and script?  Is there some feature of Fiverr I am missing here?  I don't understand how even some new sellers can have pristine video even if the audio quality isn't always good.   I feel very overwhelmed picking my best audio clips from my career and now am having to worry about video.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Most (legit) sellers will use a combination of real projects and demo projects. Footage for demo projects can be found on sites like Shutterstock, Storyblocks and so on. Personally, I used licensed video that I purchased and an editor on Fiverr to create my video demo, combined with a few real video projects. 

Unfortunately, Fiverr ruins your video upon upload. I've documented this and tried to get Fiverr to take action, to no avail. They basically turn any video into a compressed piece of garbage. Funny how a site selling voice overs are ruining demos just to save a few bucks on bandwidth, when one of the main selling points of a voice over artist is great audio. For that reason, I no longer use videos on my voice over gig.

But if you don't mind ruined audio quality, I'd recommend finding some pro editors here on Fiverr and use them to help you make your video demo. 

Have you done any real video projects that you could use? 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

I have some grainy non HDTV commercials I could use.  My background is mostly radio.  They are not as slick as the produced material that I have seen on some profiles though.  Can you use Shutterstock footage on Fiverr?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You can absolutely use Shutterstock footage in your gig if you want, just make sure to comply with the regulations for distributing your material. I have done this before! Wish you success.

Edited by kohringer
  • Like 3