If you stay online 24/7, this will happen

smashradio

This tip is repeated over and over again in the forums: "stay online 24/7, and you'll get orders". It's bad advice, for several reasons. Let me explain: 

If you want to stay online 24/7, you have two options: never sleep, or use an auto-refreshing plugin.

If you never sleep, you'll go crazy. If you use an auto refresher, you'll more than likely get banned from Fiverr because this is against the terms of service. 

In other words: not a good option. 

So what to do then? Every day, I see sellers advising me to stay online as much as possible, so it must be important, right?!

Well. Yes. And no. 

Staying online can have an effect because some buyers might sort sellers by who's online at the moment to get a response faster. I find myself doing this if I have a very short deadline.

That means staying online if you're "not really online" (in front of your computer at this moment) will likely annoy the buyer because they expect a quick response from you.

If you don't reply immediately, the effect might be negative rather than positive. 

On the other hand: actually being online – in front of your computer – will help you respond to messages sooner, answer any questions, and help buyers solve their problems. 

But if you want to stay sane, healthy and productive, sitting in front of your computer 24/7 isn't an option. We're only humans, after all. 

Do this instead

Instead of constantly refreshing the same page to "stay online", you should spend your time being productive: improving your skills, gigs and service. Learn new things that can be beneficial in the future. 

The other day I delivered all my orders early and thought to myself: "I'm gonna learn something new." I jumped on an online course about color theory because I can use it to improve my marketing skills.

To stay healthy, you could go for a walk. Bring your kids out to play. Make a healthy meal. Or just watch a bad action movie while eating popcorn (we all need to have some fun, too!). 

Improve your Fiverr business

Suppose you want to improve your business here on Fiverr. In that case, you could spend that time making a professional gig video, design new and better gig images, work on your profile description, work on your language skills, take Fiverr tests to build authority and trust, take a course from Fiverr Learn, improve your profile description, read guides on the forum on how to optimize your gig and services..

The options are there, waiting for you to take advantage of them

Conclusion: 

Do you need to stay online 24/7 to get orders? No. Does it help? No. Only "stay online" when you're really online, ready to respond to requests at a moments notice. Responding quickly to messages is important and can truly make a difference! But staying online just to get that green dot is nonsensical. 

Having a great value offer that solves the buyer's problem while responding quickly to messages is the key to getting orders. 

Delivering high-quality work every time is the key to keep those buyers coming back for more. Repeat business has become more critical than ever, so much so that Fiverr now gives you a score based on the amount of repeat business you get! That probably means it also affects your ranking and stuff like the Fiverr's Choice badge. 

• Like 376
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 7
  • Up 24
  • Thanks 53

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

r use an auto-refreshing plugin.

Great article, but you missed the key point for me, which is that it is misrepresenting yourself. If a seller uses an auto-refresher to appear online when they are not, they are dishonest. Just as dishonest as someone who lies about their qualifications, or steals other people's work. 

• Like 236
  • Up 17
  • Thanks 2

On 8/5/2021 at 12:22 PM, alaminnirob133 said:

I think your writing is enough to dispel misconceptions about staying active 24 hours a day. 

Yeah, but watch how quickly some one will post "stay online always".  😀 

• Like 152
  • Haha 29
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 2

I wish the voice of reason was actually heard once in a while by those who genuinely need it. 

But.. let me be honest, we need a new fad for this one to disappear. Because why is being online 24/7 an advice that's heard so much? It's too easy. So... People who want a quick buck (or need it) think that it's effective...

Why they don't believe us when they spend months without ANY orders IS beyond me but...

so yeah, I feel like WE need to come up with a piece of advice that's just as simple but maybe less destructive... 

What could it be though? (doesn't have to be more useful than this, just.. maybe a tad 'better' for the people behind the screens.)

• Like 162
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, maitasun said:

I see you're practicing counting to ten and beyond. 😂

I think it brings up the question whether we should spend time even trying to help new sellers, who are like bots when it comes to copy/paste bad advice, then high fiving each other for doing so. All while ignoring the good advice we give.

It seems futile. Costco.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 139
  • Congrats! 11
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, newsmike said:

think it brings up the question whether we should spend time even trying to help new sellers, who are like bots when it comes to copy/paste bad advice, then high fiving each other for doing so. All while ignoring the good advice we give.

So many Forum rules that were enforced on the old Forum are not being enforced here. I think our efforts are futile? Have you read the thread in tips for sellers where the OP said he liked his Indian buyer and now there are users calling out and even naming buyers from certain countries, yet nothing is being done. Then there are the blind mice who are posting thanks and the country that is being dissed is the country that they are from! 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, newsmike said:

It seems futile. Costco.

🙇🏻‍♀️ Thank you very much for Costco advice! 

• Like 135
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 10

2 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Have you read the thread in tips for sellers where the OP said he liked his Indian buyer and now there are users calling out and even naming buyers from certain countries, yet nothing is being done

Absolutely. I am thinking of posting a test "mother of all bad advice" post to see how many Condos I get. 

• Like 126
  • Haha 5
  • Congrats! 9
  • Up 2

28 minutes ago, newsmike said:

I think it brings up the question whether we should spend time even trying to help new sellers, who are like bots when it comes to copy/paste bad advice, then high fiving each other for doing so. All while ignoring the good advice we give.

It seems futile. Costco.

I can see how that would become very quickly frustrating. For everyone you have who's just skimming and responding to be "engaged" you have someone, like me, who has learned something valuable from your post. Thank you for taking the time to write it, it was truly a good read.

• Like 127
  • Thanks 11

3 hours ago, newsmike said:

Great article, but you missed the key point for me, which is that it is misrepresenting yourself. If a seller uses an auto-refresher to appear online when they are not, they are dishonest. Just as dishonest as someone who lies about their qualifications, or steals other people's work. 

I agree. A bit late to edit now, but you make a good point. I think I touched on it by pointing out that it might piss buyers off, because they expect a quick response when they aren't getting one. 

41 minutes ago, newsmike said:

It seems futile. Costco.

Yeah, unfortunately, so. But every now and then you'll get someone with actual talent and willingness to learn who takes the advice we give to heart. And if I can help even 1 or 2 sellers to become better, it was worth it for me.

But it's sad to see the state of the forums at times. This is why I suggested to the Fiverr team in a Community Leader chat I had with them, that we need a forum only for level 2s and TRS. A place for real discussions and work. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We just got a new technical platform for spammers to use.

• Like 127
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, smashradio said:

This tip is repeated over and over again in the forums: "stay online 24/7, and you'll get orders". It's bad advice, for several reasons. Let me explain: 

If you want to stay online 24/7, you have two options: never sleep, or use an auto-refreshing plugin.

If you never sleep, you'll go crazy. If you use an auto refresher, you'll more than likely get banned from Fiverr because this is against the terms of service. 

So what to do then? Every day, I see sellers advising me to stay online as much as possible, so it must be important, right?!

Well. Yes. And no. 

Staying online can have an effect because some buyers might sort sellers by who's online at the moment to get a response faster. I find myself doing this if I have a very short deadline.

That means staying online if you're "not really online" (in front of your computer at this moment) will likely annoy the buyer because they expect a quick response from you.

If you don't reply immediately, the effect might be negative rather than positive. 

On the other hand: actually being online – in front of your computer – will help you respond to messages sooner, answer any questions, and help buyers solve their problems. 

But if you want to stay sane, healthy and productive, sitting in front of your computer 24/7 isn't an option. We're only humans, after all. 

Do this instead

Instead of constantly refreshing the same page to "stay online", you should spend your time being productive: improving your skills, gigs and service. Learn new things that can be beneficial in the future. 

The other day I delivered all my orders early and thought to myself: "I'm gonna learn something new." I jumped on an online course about color theory because I can use it to improve my marketing skills.

To stay healthy, you could go for a walk. Bring your kids out to play. Make a healthy meal. Or just watch a bad action movie while eating popcorn (we all need to have some fun, too!). 

Suppose you want to improve your business here on Fiverr. In that case, you could spend that time making a professional gig video, design new and better gig images, work on your profile description, work on your language skills, take Fiverr tests to build authority and trust, take a course from Fiverr Learn, improve your profile description, read guides on the forum on how to optimize your gig and services..

Conclusion: 

Do you need to stay online 24/7 to get orders? No. Does it help? No. Only "stay online" when you're really online, ready to respond to requests at a moments notice. Responding quickly to messages is important and can truly make a difference! But staying online just to get that green dot is nonsensical. 

Having a great value offer that solves the buyer's problem while responding quickly to messages is the key to getting orders. 

Delivering high-quality work every time is the key to keep those buyers coming back for more. Repeat business has become more critical than ever, so much so that Fiverr now gives you a score based on the amount of repeat business you get! That probably means it also affects your ranking and stuff like the Fiverr's Choice badge. 

Wow. You have presented and explained the information in a remarkable way. Lots of helpful posts

• Like 115
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smashradio said:

Well. Yes. And no. 

Do this instead

Conclusion: 

You have analyzed the information remarkably well. Which is wrong, which is right. He has highlighted it in a beautiful way. I hope everyone understands.

• Like 115
  • Up 7

14 hours ago, katakatica said:

What could it be though? (doesn't have to be more useful than this, just.. maybe a tad 'better' for the people behind the screens.)

I liked your post, however, the problem is that the people who simp for the "always stay online" tips don't seem to care for the better tips like the ones in the opening post. Not much you can do when people copy-paste other's forum posts with tips about how to not copy other seller's profiles or Gig descriptions.

There may be some tips that are a tad better and even useful, though, that dedicated forum members might be able to build up as a counter-fad 😉 like, for example, ... "Writing Fiverr instead of Fiber will increase your orders!!!1!" but what normal generous tip-giving person would like to post such titles/threads ...

(Wait and see ... ;))

• Like 118
  • Up 5

13 hours ago, smashradio said:

But it's sad to see the state of the forums at times. This is why I suggested to the Fiverr team in a Community Leader chat I had with them, that we need a forum only for level 2s and TRS. A place for real discussions and work. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We just got a new technical platform for spammers to use.

What would also help

(and not require anyone to make a big decision like that - I do agree that we "need" this, but also can imagine the reasons for not implying and at least partly understand and agree with them),

at least the people who are looking for the less sensational 24/7 advice, would be if the actually good help/tips threads would be closed after a while (typically, once a few good additions by other sensible sellers have been added, the rest of the comments will only be "thanks for the advice" posts), and pushed into a separate category, where they'd not be drowned by all the useless (example: "market your Gig on social media" remains in the red ocean of "Tips for Sellers", "market your Gig on social media, here is how ...." could be pushed to the special smaller blue ocean category), harmful (use auto-refresher, you can have two accounts on two computers, ...), copy-pasted from others without attribution, etc. threads. 

A "Gems of Tips for Sellers" category or something like that.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 114
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, miiila said:

What would also help

(and not require anyone to make a big decision like that - I do agree that we "need" this, but also can imagine the reasons for not implying and at least partly understand and agree with them),

at least the people who are looking for the less sensational 24/7 advice, would be if the actually good help/tips threads would be closed after a while (typically, once a few good additions by other sensible sellers have been added, the rest of the comments will only be "thanks for the advice" posts), and pushed into a separate category, where they'd not be drowned by all the useless (example: "market your Gig on social media" remains in the red ocean of "Tips for Sellers", "market your Gig on social media, here is how ...." could be pushed to the special smaller blue ocean category), harmful (use auto-refresher, you can have two accounts on two computers, ...), copy-pasted from others without attribution, etc. threads. 

A "Gems of Tips for Sellers" category or something like that.

This would be very helpful for all those who newly joined as well. I would have loved to read all those sensible advices.

• Like 114
  • Up 2

18 hours ago, smashradio said:

Well. Yes. And no. 

Do this instead

Conclusion: 

This is one of the best article to fight against the noobs.

• Like 110
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, pateldrashti said:

This would be very helpful for all those who newly joined as well. I would have loved to read all those sensible advices.

Can't edit my prior post any longer, but that's what I'm thinking too, plus, it might also inspire more people who have real advice to share to do it more, and write in more detail, if they knew their posts would easily be found by people genuinely looking for advice.

Personally, I'm happier with the thought that even one person who really takes something from a post of mine reads it without leaving a like or comment than having a "Hot" thread with dozens of comments and likes and thanks by people who didn't even read it, much less will apply any of it. 

"Live" interaction is nice and fun and can be helpful too, of course, but when people want to avoid that their thread will be "taken out of discussion" and moved to that "Gems of Tips for Sellers" category, for threads that are more controversial, or call for discussion, they could post in the "Conversations" or "My Fiverr Experience" category, depending.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 111
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, miiila said:

"Writing Fiverr instead of Fiber will increase your orders!!!1!" but what normal generous tip-giving person would like to post such titles/threads ...

Aha, I mean, proper grammar will help (indirectly, but still!) so it's not even a lie!

But

But.

WHAT IF - a new fiverr guru graced youtube's presence. Pretending to agree with the rest but STILL dropping actually useful information. I did notice that while the posts go unread and just commented, the videos do seem to have actual engagement (could be fake but...) It's easier to watch videos than to read, too so... 

(honestly though, with us trying to help... we could be just selfish and let them be. It's not like they are hurting anyone's business but their own... I'm just too used to being nice to people to bear with this haha)

• Like 104
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, katakatica said:

WHAT IF - a new fiverr guru graced youtube's presence. Pretending to agree with the rest but STILL dropping actually useful information.

Please feel free to do so, I'll "smash the like button and subscribe" too 😉 but that won't be me, I tend to be too nice for my own good too, but I didn't sign up for the forum to become a new Fiverr guru on YT!

Maybe if you don't want to do it yourself, a spokesperson seller might feel more inclined, but not sure, wouldn't it undermine their general credibility if they'd have to pretend to agree with the rest ... 🤔

Might have to be someone who uses a separate YT channel and blur, or use one of those, what are they called officially, those anime avatars ... virtual vloggers, in that case.

• Like 107
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, miiila said:

Please feel free to do so, I'll "smash the like button and subscribe" too 😉 but that won't be me, I tend to be too nice for my own good too, but I didn't sign up for the forum to become a new Fiverr guru on YT!

Honestly, I did consider it - sort of like a 'witty debunking fiverr' kind of thing (a bit like those reddit reading things!) I'm not funny enough - but I might still give it a shot haha. I just think it'd be an easier channel to reach people who struggle with English (this is from personal experience but when there are visual cues (and sound) it's easier for me to get a foreign language than just reading - some people are the opposite but..maybe? 

I feel like I've been losing my cool about the 24/7 thing mostly because of my personal sleep struggles - I probably wouldn't get so caught up in it if it wasn't a sore subject haha (but... I do think that it'd be nice if we could actually HELP these people...)

• Like 106
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4