If you stay online 24/7, this will happen

smashradio

10 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Honestly, I did consider it - sort of like a 'witty debunking fiverr' kind of thing (a bit like those reddit reading things!) I'm not funny enough - but I might still give it a shot haha. I just think it'd be an easier channel to reach people who struggle with English (this is from personal experience but when there are visual cues (and sound) it's easier for me to get a foreign language than just reading - some people are the opposite but..maybe? 

I feel like I've been losing my cool about the 24/7 thing mostly because of my personal sleep struggles - I probably wouldn't get so caught up in it if it wasn't a sore subject haha (but... I do think that it'd be nice if we could actually HELP these people...)

I think he is right because it is logical to help others by harming oneself?

• Like 118
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe Fiverr should, in addition to "You only have 12 hours to deliver, deliver now", should also send notifications like "You were online and active since 20 hours non-stop now, we appreciate it, but we want you to grace our platform a little longer with your existence, time for a short power nap, Doer!" 😉 

The forum would get flooded with threads asking how long to sleep for the best gig ranking then for a change, wouldn't that be fun.

Edited by miiila
  • Like 115
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, smashradio said:

This tip is repeated over and over again in the forums: "stay online 24/7, and you'll get orders". It's bad advice, for several reasons. Let me explain: 

If you want to stay online 24/7, you have two options: never sleep, or use an auto-refreshing plugin.

If you never sleep, you'll go crazy. If you use an auto refresher, you'll more than likely get banned from Fiverr because this is against the terms of service. 

In other words: not a good option. 

So what to do then? Every day, I see sellers advising me to stay online as much as possible, so it must be important, right?!

Well. Yes. And no. 

Staying online can have an effect because some buyers might sort sellers by who's online at the moment to get a response faster. I find myself doing this if I have a very short deadline.

That means staying online if you're "not really online" (in front of your computer at this moment) will likely annoy the buyer because they expect a quick response from you.

If you don't reply immediately, the effect might be negative rather than positive. 

On the other hand: actually being online – in front of your computer – will help you respond to messages sooner, answer any questions, and help buyers solve their problems. 

But if you want to stay sane, healthy and productive, sitting in front of your computer 24/7 isn't an option. We're only humans, after all. 

Do this instead

Instead of constantly refreshing the same page to "stay online", you should spend your time being productive: improving your skills, gigs and service. Learn new things that can be beneficial in the future. 

The other day I delivered all my orders early and thought to myself: "I'm gonna learn something new." I jumped on an online course about color theory because I can use it to improve my marketing skills.

To stay healthy, you could go for a walk. Bring your kids out to play. Make a healthy meal. Or just watch a bad action movie while eating popcorn (we all need to have some fun, too!). 

Improve your Fiverr business

Suppose you want to improve your business here on Fiverr. In that case, you could spend that time making a professional gig video, design new and better gig images, work on your profile description, work on your language skills, take Fiverr tests to build authority and trust, take a course from Fiverr Learn, improve your profile description, read guides on the forum on how to optimize your gig and services..

The options are there, waiting for you to take advantage of them

Conclusion: 

Do you need to stay online 24/7 to get orders? No. Does it help? No. Only "stay online" when you're really online, ready to respond to requests at a moments notice. Responding quickly to messages is important and can truly make a difference! But staying online just to get that green dot is nonsensical. 

Having a great value offer that solves the buyer's problem while responding quickly to messages is the key to getting orders. 

Delivering high-quality work every time is the key to keep those buyers coming back for more. Repeat business has become more critical than ever, so much so that Fiverr now gives you a score based on the amount of repeat business you get! That probably means it also affects your ranking and stuff like the Fiverr's Choice badge. 

I have seen "response time" on few "top rated sellers" as well as "Level 2 sellers" having 50+ orders in queue to be 3-7 hours. That means that they're not online 24/7 and yet their business is booming. So it says that, it's more about the attention to detail while replying to queries rather than how speedily you do attend them. 🙂 The same thing is explained in this course offered for free by Fiverr Online Freelancing Essentials: Be A Successful Fiverr Seller

• Like 114
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

On 8/6/2021 at 10:15 AM, hencebranding said:

I have seen "response time" on few "top rated sellers" as well as "Level 2 sellers" having 50+ orders in queue to be 3-7 hours. That means that they're not online 24/7 and yet their business is booming. So it says that, it's more about the attention to detail while replying to queries rather than how speedily you do attend them. 🙂 The same thing is explained in this course offered for free by Fiverr Online Freelancing Essentials: Be A Successful Fiverr Seller

Yes, the attention you give to each buyer when responding is crucial indeed. But I know for a fact (after actually measuring this in a spreadsheet, because I like data) that responding to messages after the 1-hour mark drops your chances of landing a sale (at least in my case) by about 30%. If the response time is +3 hours, the chances drop by about 50% on average. 

Messages sent at night have an on average lower drop rate than messages sent during normal business hours. Since you'll have clients from all over the world on Fiverr, "normal business hours" will depend on where your main income comes from. 

So there is something to this. But that doesn't mean you should just send "Hello. I will get back to you." just to keep your response time low. The response should always be useful and well thought out, otherwise you're just wasting the buyers time. 

• Like 116
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 6

Being online is driving me crazy, I know when a client will come and knock. That gig shows how much budget you will give for this work. Someone said what I will write in reply, I don't know, and if anyone knows, please tell me a little. Let's see if the word to pay is dangerous. The rest went to space and floated to Mars like the Virgin Galactic. I didn't spend 720 hours, if I were a robot, I would be very happy.

• Like 106
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, kalam_patawory said:

I saw some people power on their laptop or pc 24 hours. Is it good or any help with this?

Those people must be so tired with the lack of sleep! No, please don't do this. It's better to focus your energy on improving your gigs, communication skills and crafting well written and unique offers on the buyer requests section. Be online when its convenient for you, you can turn on the notifications so you can just open Fiverr when needed.

• Like 105
  • Congrats! 10

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, social_breeze said:

I have commented this to many posts here on the forum saying people that staying 18 hours is not possible for a human so it means Fiverr knows that you are using a auto refresher or something to spam the online seller status. 

But more importantly, even if it was possible, it's of no benefit.

• Like 104
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:17 AM, aziz2d said:

If my account is not active then someone gives me a message and if I come online and reply, will my response time decrease? 

As you talk to them more, that time will average out.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011451678-Everything-you-need-to-know-about-response-time--rate

Responsiveness refers to the tracking of a Fiverr seller’s response rate (what percentage of inbox messages you reply to within twenty-four hours) as well as your response time (how quickly you respond to a new request in your inbox). Replying within 24 hours is necessary for your response to be tracked. Response time is based on the last 60 days of a seller’s activity and tracks the amount of time it takes for a seller to respond when they receive an inbox message.  Response time tracks all responses, not just the first message from the buyer.

Which is EXACTLY WHY it's important to NOT pretend to be online when you, yourself as a body at a keyboard, are NOT, in fact, online.

• Like 104
  • Thanks 4

• 11 months later...

according to my opinion, this saying doesn't mean staying online 24 hours without sleep. Regardless of how the recipient perceives it, logically this means staying online as much as possible. If you can respond fast than others, sometimes you will get a chance make a conversation with your client. If not you will miss the opportunity. it is simple. 

This is my point, "Sleep on time, eat on time, be online" that's it. please don't take anyone this misunderstand. 

When I was join fiverr in 2018, I have responded to thousands of buyer requests. Because I didn't received any direct order on those days. I had to be patient until received buyer requests. I did always refresh my browser. But on those days, all buyer requests were shown between 1.30AM - 4.00AM. I don't know other sellers time zone. I personally got the tough experience to success this platform.

• Like 75
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Staying online if you are actually available does in fact help. It doesn't help your ranking in any way, but it does make the difference between the buyer who clicked on your gig to message you or move on to someone who is currently available when time is of the essence. 

For example: Buyer sees your gig and is interested and they click it. They see you "online" and they message you.

If the buyer clicks and sees you are "offline" and they need an answer now, they will simply move on to someone who is available or showing status as "online"

Edited by voicedbyken
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, voicedbyken said:

For example: Buyer sees your gig and is interested and they click it. They see you "online" and they message you.

You may think that but it's not the case. Most people look at reviews. They couldn't care less about people being online. I've been here for 10 years and I sometimes ask people how they found me, and no one said because I was online. So I rest my case. It might work for some, but most if not all serious buyers will focus on your reviews, samples and previous work. Sure, if you take a day to reply, they will try someone else.  

• Like 23
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

You may think that but it's not the case. Most people look at reviews. They couldn't care less about people being online. I've been here for 10 years and I sometimes ask people how they found me, and no one said because I was online. So I rest my case. It might work for some, but most if not all serious buyers will focus on your reviews, samples and previous work. Sure, if you take a day to reply, they will try someone else.  

We could argue all day about whether or not it matters, but in the end it all comes down to personal experience. My experience with this is not the same as yours, but that does not prove that I am wrong.

I attribute my being online 24/7 at the very beginning to the reason I went from level 0 to top seller in less than a year on the platform vs many of my colleagues who don't and are still stuck at level 2 years later.

Also: I never once stated that being online is how you are found. I made it clear that it has no effect in ranking. I stated that it makes a difference to those in a rush after they find you on whether they message you or move on to find someone who is currently available.

Edited by voicedbyken
  • Like 21
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2