Well, Let's Just Call It What It Is...

looseink

Well, Let's Just Call It What It Is  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Badges and Stuff have changed the Fiverr Forum. What are your thoughts?

• Gamification of the Fiverr Forum will water-down the purpose of the Forum.
    • Gamification of the Fiverr Forum makes it fun and exciting like online gambling minus the expense.
    • What the heck is gamification?
    • Why are the impressions and clicks down on my gigs?

Question

23 answers to this question

9 hours ago, melanielm said:

You know, I understand the problem with gamification, but I'm not sure how much has actually changed. The old forum was FULL of resurrected threads, meaningless posts, and 'thanks, so good idea' type posts, too. I saw plenty of them every day. Has it actually gotten worse? I'm not sure. 

It hasn't gotten any better, in any case, that's for sure.

I like gamification. It's ... user error that turns it into a bad thing, like so many things.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________impressionsdown.thumb.png.7fd3308bbaa4296a0aad1ee6178834e4.png

😂

1 minute ago, enunciator said:

I'm surprised the doubt has taken so long to kick in!

For me, it might have been when I saw a reply from you to a very objectively bad advice by someone with a higher forum rank than you, I had to click on their forum badge twice to make sure I see correctly. Checking to see what was the topic title again, I'd say let's call it participation trophies. 

19 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

I'm not sure having "Proficient Copy" as the highest badge is a good idea either.

On first, second, and third until fifth take, I'm sure it's not.

Maybe it would be good if the badge titles would actually be something more or less nonsensical, created by some online generator, that might fit better to the current situation. 

Like these, first take I got from a pop culture name generator, in the subcategory "Pokemon names":

Scorpimite
Eleloon
Donkow
Jagash
Crazester
Groray
Burnodo
Aquateleon
Quackal
Warthawk

Of course, this might lead to people desperately trying to stay on "Crazester" level rather than trying to become "Warthawk" ... 🤔

23 minutes ago, miiila said:

For me, it's definitely become more laborious to maybe see content that I actually want to see, or let's say, that's actual content in the first place.

Snap. I'm also just feeling angry a lot with the posts and the lack of initiative taken by some sellers to find a solution or information before posting. Sometimes I really have to stop myself leaving a harsh reply. If I want to be constantly p*ssed off, I'll just reactivate my Facebook account. 

Maybe they're working on changes, but like has been suggested, maybe a minimum word/character count for posts that contribute to points could be added or make "Thanks" posts generate less points. But in the old forum the badges used to give extra abilities and the other forum section was enabled with the regular badge but if no extra things get enabled with the new badges there might be less reason to try to get the higher badges. I'm not sure having "Proficient Copy" as the highest badge is a good idea either.

Another thing is that it's not "just" the forum, but the notifications too. Even if you crank the settings down to not receive notifications for basically anything and everything and everyone, sacrificing some notification constellations that you actually would like, because the settings aren't very discerning, you receive a notification because someone commented in a thread you follow because you posted in it/are interested in it. Great!, maybe a new insight, new info!, you click the notification to read the new comment, yeah, not so great, it was just a "Thank you" post that doesn't add anything at all to the discussion. 

Repeat that for several notifications, and you're done and ready to go home.

ETA: For me, it's definitely become more laborious to maybe see content that I actually want to see, or let's say, that's actual content in the first place.

I really like the new look of the forum and the emoji's, etc. But yeah, it's a mess and I'm losing interest rapidly. If the badges are so easy to achieve then I don't see the point in having them at all. Before, the badges were more difficult to earn and were generally a sign of good contributors with experience and valuable input. That's well down the toilet and the valued and respected members were all rookies again, now overtaken in badge world by anyone who can type a full-top. What isn't new is the tsunami of posts about not getting orders, low impressions and clicks and so on. It's monotonous. 

10 hours ago, maezma85 said:

another of the recommendations that I would give to the forum authorities is that they add more moderators to better control the situation

They just did - 3 new paid CS trained m o d s - did you not notice the improvement? [/sarcasm]

1 hour ago, melanielm said:

The old forum was FULL of resurrected threads, meaningless posts, and 'thanks, so good idea' type posts, too. I saw plenty of them every day. Has it actually gotten worse? I'm not sure. 

I think it's worse because the old Forum didn't have these kind of ranks. Well, there were the regulars, but it took a lot of time to become a regular, and it wasn't something you could achieve by just posting nonsense.

You know, I understand the problem with gamification, but I'm not sure how much has actually changed. The old forum was FULL of resurrected threads, meaningless posts, and 'thanks, so good idea' type posts, too. I saw plenty of them every day. Has it actually gotten worse? I'm not sure. 

Some people undoubtedly believe there's some value to getting a different rank on the forum and spam comments. There have always been a lot who did it no matter what, though. I just wish there were some way to downvote them into oblivion or something.

I just wish Fiverr would make it stop, but as I said Fiverr doesn't want. So, let the games continue... 

At some point, most of us will get fed up of all this and leave silently. And the only ones left roaming the forum will be the spammers and those who have nothing meaningful to add.

7 minutes ago, maezma85 said:

I think that they should act as soon as possible to control that situation because instead of improving the functionality of the forum it is distorting the topics, adding unnecessary threads, etc.

But we have a bunch of people and people can earn plenty badges in no time! And specially get to be Grand Master!!! 🙄

If that's the boss policy, that's what will prevail... 😒

Yes, I really like the new functions, the design of the platform, the loading speed, but I think the control of the publications is failing. Everything else is very well implemented but there is a lack of better organization in the control of publications.

I just voted in the poll! The option I chose is obvious and I think that they should act as soon as possible to control that situation because instead of improving the functionality of the forum it is distorting the topics, adding unnecessary threads, etc. One of the solutions that I would propose is to limit the text characters to a minimum number and another of the recommendations that I would give to the forum authorities is that they add more moderators to better control the situation.

12 minutes ago, looseink said:

I'm starting to doubt this is going to work...

Why my impressions are down? 

I can’t really reply on that poll 😉 because I do like new features and emojis and fiverr questions etc. 
my problem is how the forum run and that no rules are imposed. We have rules written but for some reason “the firm” decided to ignore all of them saying that it’s “engagement” not spam 

Archived