Dumb Question...Maybe

looseink

Question

Okay, here it is: What is Telegram?

I get asked frequently both here on Fiverr and on Upwork to reply to job postings via Telegram. I always reply that I won't communicate off-platform. 

Is this still correct?

The way the word "Telegram" is usually posted in these messages is with separations or other do-dads between each letter. This makes me think that is to avoid the Fiverr or Upwork messaging systems from triggering a warning.

Of course, all just SWAGs on my part.

Can someone enlighten this old fart?

Thanks.

• Like 16

14 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, looseink said:

What is Telegram?

It's a messaging app similar to WhatsApp or s***e.

10 minutes ago, looseink said:

I get asked frequently both here on Fiverr and on Upwork to reply to job postings via Telegram. I always reply that I won't communicate off-platform. 

Is this still correct?

Yes 👍

• Like 7

Yeah, from what I understand, it's basically Discord, s***e, or Slack with some Facebook mixed in, but with less invasive analytics/user tracking and some user-facing encryption options. As a result, the population of shady users is higher since there's less monitoring going on and its harder for outsiders like the government to do. It comes up a lot in news about sanctioned countries and countries in conflict.

• Like 14

Telegram is a messaging app that lets you send messages, make calls, share files, and create group chats. It's like texting but with few more features. You can use it on your phone, tablet, or computer. 

I think people prefer communication on Telegram because of its convenience..

• Like 10
  • Up 2

42 minutes ago, gurgenbenashvil said:

Okay, but is it going to get you a penalty on Fiverr or Upwork if you start using it to discuss a potential freelance job with a client who insists that you use Telegram?

• Like 10

2 hours ago, looseink said:

Okay, but is it going to get you a penalty on Fiverr or Upwork if you start using it to discuss a potential freelance job with a client who insists that you use Telegram?

Absolutely.  It is a TOS violation as it is still taking the discussion off Fiverr.  

• Like 10
  • Up 6

6 hours ago, gurgenbenashvil said:

And because you can conduct all sorts of illegal activities there.

5 hours ago, looseink said:

is it going to get you a penalty on Fiverr or Upwork if you start using it to discuss a potential freelance job with a client who insists that you use Telegram?

It is. Plus the potential freelance job turns out to be a scam to get you to work for free, to pay them money, and in some cases, an attempt at identity theft.

• Like 9
  • Up 5

12 hours ago, newsmike said:

Absolutely.  It is a TOS violation as it is still taking the discussion off Fiverr.  

I was certain this was still the case. I'm a bit disturbed that so many "scammers" keep trying to steal workers from legit sites like Fiverr and Upwork.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, catwriter said:

And because you can conduct all sorts of illegal activities there.

It is. Plus the potential freelance job turns out to be a scam to get you to work for free, to pay them money, and in some cases, an attempt at identity theft.

I was pretty sure it was stepping into ToS territory. Thanks!

• Like 9

telegram isn't just a messaging app

its part of darkweb and base for criminals

it provides freedom, but extra one, even to break any law a user like

after it allow deleting whole account completely (leaving no clue)

some extortionist even blackmailed companies like Nvidia and Microsoft on it, and no action taken by telegram as before

even weapons, drugs trade... and too much blackhat activity take place here

bet me, you won't see those accounts more than a week (if there were new)

• Like 9

Beware those people asking to communicate on telegram, they are bad scammers. They will pretend to be a company with job oppotunities and then they will start asking you to pay them for not meeting deadlines etc. (even though it seems quite obvious to most people) some people fell for the telegram scam and have lost a lot of money.

• Like 8

On 6/29/2023 at 10:57 AM, xxjana_1234 said:

Beware those people asking to communicate on telegram, they are bad scammers. They will pretend to be a company with job oppotunities and then they will start asking you to pay them for not meeting deadlines etc. (even though it seems quite obvious to most people) some people fell for the telegram scam and have lost a lot of money.

On my first day on Fiverr, that's how I was welcomed by a scammer, but fortunately, he failed.

• Like 8