Telegram?

johanna_gw

Hi All, 

I am getting quite a few messages from buyers wanting me to transition over to telegram or some other media, promising good money for work related to my gigs, but giving little specific detail.  I respond, professionally, within Fiverr and they ghost me.  I strongly suspect these are spam, bots or fraudsters so don't pursue them.  The first one I did pursue outside Fiverr (rookie error) and they wanted me to log in to a website with my email and email password which would then 'host' my email for me.  Obvs I didn't do that. Another wanted to pay in crypto.  

How do I report suspect bot buyer accounts? How does everyone else manage these? Is everyone else plagued by these?  I think it is hurting my response time and need to report them. 

Thanks

Jo

• Like 9

Hi Jo,

Anyone who asks you to go off the platform are probably scammers who want to evade the escrow system where Fiverr handles the transaction for you. 

If the buyer can pay outside the platform then can do the same within the platform so no good reason to go off platform risking violating rules and also getting scammed all together. 

You can reply to these messages with denial and add them to spam or block.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, johanna_gw said:

I think it is hurting my response time and need to report them. 

Response rate/time wise it's probably best to respond to them saying you can only work on Fiverr and that you can't do what they are asking (without mentioning "off fiverr" or mentioning other things they have said that might get your message flagged by Fiverr) and then you can block/mark their message as spam if necessary. If you hover over a message in the inbox in the browser version it will show a report and spam option at the top of it.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6
  • Up 1

I just have a quick response saved for these spam messages. So whenever I get these messages, I just use the quick response and report + block them. And this seems to be the most efficient way to deal with the problem.

But I would love to see Fiverr add a spam filter feature in the future.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, johanna_gw said:

Hi All, 

I am getting quite a few messages from buyers wanting me to transition over to telegram or some other media, promising good money for work related to my gigs, but giving little specific detail.  I respond, professionally, within Fiverr and they ghost me.  I strongly suspect these are spam, bots or fraudsters so don't pursue them.  The first one I did pursue outside Fiverr (rookie error) and they wanted me to log in to a website with my email and email password which would then 'host' my email for me.  Obvs I didn't do that. Another wanted to pay in crypto.  

How do I report suspect bot buyer accounts? How does everyone else manage these? Is everyone else plagued by these?  I think it is hurting my response time and need to report them. 

Thanks

Jo

Yes, I also received that message, report it and block it

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I just finished making my profile and gigs, then I suddenly received a message! There I was excited that I might have my first job, but after reading the message I noticed that they where from Nigeria, have jumbled letters for usernames, and are asking me to contact them on telegram. I reported them... then I received 10 more messages like it.

Bruh... I'm still getting more at this moment.

• Like 31
  • Sad 5
  • Up 4

Welcome to our world!

I have 4-5 quick responses for spam. Luckily, we are not getting too many in my niche.

Make sure to write them something back before marking the messages as spam.

You don't want to take any chances with your inbox response rate.

Good luck!

• Like 31
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

Hello everyone, I am new to this platform and don't know how common or normal this is.

First, they wanted me to move to Telegram, and, when I refused they sent me this:

I don't think I can send the documents here on fiverr and the file is too large for email also that's why I suggested the telegram at first but I will look for a way...... Notwithstanding check your email for the last instruction on the job You're to also obtain an ID while working with us.. And if this job is well executed you will get more jobs to work on

And also got some others with this

We have a translating job offer if you are interested Cantact the username (@Projectboss1) on 👉(T...e....L...e....GR...Am...)his the one to give you the job offer

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me more about these types of messages.

• Like 21
  • Sad 3

On 6/5/2023 at 2:39 AM, enraem said:

they where from Nigeria, have jumbled letters for usernames, and are asking me to contact them on telegram

3 red flags right there

On 6/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, boonrpl1 said:

try setting an auto-reply, this method helps with your response rate

Auto reply does not count as a reply with regard to response rate.  Even though auto reply may tell your customer that you will reply soon, you still must respond manually within the 24 hour period as always, otherwise you will be marked as unresponsive. It is not a replacement for an actual response. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 20
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

As a new seller, I open Fiverr as soon as I wake up with excitement rushing in my body at thought of there being a customer. I don't let it disappoint me when there are no orders. But at times, I see notifications which indicate that I have messages. Excitedly I open them only to find that they're one of those telegram scams. Sure, Fiverr does its jobs of getting rid of them but I can't help but be disappointed. It's been almost a week since I joined but all I ever see is yet another one of those telegram scams! Is this common? Will I ever find a genuine customer?

• Like 15
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

Guest hest10

Hello, everyone!

So I made a new gig yesterday, and there was already 8 people writing me only yesterday, but most of them were just spammers that tell me to go into their telegram and contact them, I've set an auto reply that says "No contacting outside of Fiverr's inbox (No whatsapp, telegram, discord, ETC)." but it still doesn't work.

I know that contacting outside of Fiverr is a violation of the TOS.

Anyone has the same problem?

Because I need to filter important and unimportant messages so I don't have to deal with these spammers.

Thank you, Ram.

Hey, you can simply report the message or mark it as spam. There's nothing much you can do really. Just respond as needed, then report it. Fiverr might catch up with all of the reports and block those types of buyers before they get the chance to spam more sellers in the future.

• Like 17
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

hi there, i am new on fivver and im selling Logo designs. There were many orders but like they wanted to contact them via Telegram. im selling also Translate and i translated 100 pages from English to German. i sent them my bank info and they "transfered" Money but i dont get it. They were like at very starting, they told me, im gonna pay nothing to join in this project, but in the End when i dont get my money, they said that i must pay 150$ and they will give me my Money, like WTF ddd, sorry. but i earned this Money. I got scammed unfortunatly. and the general reason why i am texting you is that how can i avoid this kind of situations, 

• Like 17
  • Up 2

On 6/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, enraem said:

I just finished making my profile and gigs, then I suddenly received a message! There I was excited that I might have my first job, but after reading the message I noticed that they where from Nigeria, have jumbled letters for usernames, and are asking me to contact them on telegram. I reported them... then I received 10 more messages like it.

Bruh... I'm still getting more at this moment.

When I first published my data entry gigs, I used to get similar spam messages.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Knocking a freelancer for getting a desired service from Fiver to Telegram is becoming a common practice now-a-days. I don't get the logic behind this that why some clients don't understand the rule that it's not accepted to deal with freelancers in a 3rd party website re-directing from here?

367772495_254342350888173_1188113538659421832_n.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

It's a scam. The second you are off the site they make you pay them a fee to 'employ' you or some other bull (I never interacted with them but I've seen it all over the net. They target everyone basically... I guess it's worth it for them because for every, say, 500 messages they might send out someone falls for it? $100 bucks for basically nothing (or less or more money, I'm not sure) sounds good, right?

(It doesn't, it's pretty much illegal and nasty. But some people are desperate (or meanl enough to scam others for a living.)

• Like 22
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1