Spam buyers?

johanna_gw

Question

Hi All, 

I am getting quite a few messages from buyers wanting me to transition over to telegram or some other media, promising good money for work related to my gigs, but giving little specific detail.  I respond, professionally, within Fiverr and they ghost me.  I strongly suspect these are spam, bots or fraudsters so don't pursue them.  The first one I did pursue outside Fiverr (rookie error) and they wanted me to log in to a website with my email and email password which would then 'host' my email for me.  Obvs I didn't do that. Another wanted to pay in crypto.  

How do I report suspect bot buyer accounts? How does everyone else manage these? Is everyone else plagued by these?  I think it is hurting my response time and need to report them. 

Thanks

Jo

• Like 9

4 answers to this question

Hi Jo,

Anyone who asks you to go off the platform are probably scammers who want to evade the escrow system where Fiverr handles the transaction for you. 

If the buyer can pay outside the platform then can do the same within the platform so no good reason to go off platform risking violating rules and also getting scammed all together. 

You can reply to these messages with denial and add them to spam or block.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, johanna_gw said:

I think it is hurting my response time and need to report them. 

Response rate/time wise it's probably best to respond to them saying you can only work on Fiverr and that you can't do what they are asking (without mentioning "off fiverr" or mentioning other things they have said that might get your message flagged by Fiverr) and then you can block/mark their message as spam if necessary. If you hover over a message in the inbox in the browser version it will show a report and spam option at the top of it.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 6
  • Up 1

I just have a quick response saved for these spam messages. So whenever I get these messages, I just use the quick response and report + block them. And this seems to be the most efficient way to deal with the problem.

But I would love to see Fiverr add a spam filter feature in the future.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, johanna_gw said:

Hi All, 

I am getting quite a few messages from buyers wanting me to transition over to telegram or some other media, promising good money for work related to my gigs, but giving little specific detail.  I respond, professionally, within Fiverr and they ghost me.  I strongly suspect these are spam, bots or fraudsters so don't pursue them.  The first one I did pursue outside Fiverr (rookie error) and they wanted me to log in to a website with my email and email password which would then 'host' my email for me.  Obvs I didn't do that. Another wanted to pay in crypto.  

How do I report suspect bot buyer accounts? How does everyone else manage these? Is everyone else plagued by these?  I think it is hurting my response time and need to report them. 

Thanks

Jo

Yes, I also received that message, report it and block it

• Like 4