New: Promoted Gigs Inbox Ads.

newsmike

Just now, catwriter said:

I'm not sure that buyers will agree with Fiverr on that.

Understood. But I suppose Fiverr gets to decide in their world. He who writes the TOS...   BTW, maybe coincidence but I got 2 promoted orders since they launched it this morning.

• Like 15
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 1

In principle it sounds a good idea. Although I suspect that the words 'expansion of our promoted gigs program' may be laying the groundwork for an increase in costs? 

However, i'm willing to take the hit if the sales generated goes up! 

Edited by breals
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just now, newsmike said:

But I suppose Fiverr gets to decide in their world. He who writes the TOS...

Oh, definitely. The thing is, according to their own ToS, even a single unsolicited message counts as spam.

1 minute ago, newsmike said:

BTW, maybe coincidence but I got 2 promoted orders since they launched it this morning.

Great news for you!

• Like 13
  • Congrats! 1

Just now, melanielm said:

I wonder how they define 'relevant buyers.' Ones who bought the same type of service in the past or searched for it at all? Adjacent service buyers? (e.g., Someone who buys book ghostwriting receives ads for book cover design)

Briefs were supposed to be relevant. And well....

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

@lior_porat - I just wanted to loop in someone from the Product Development team.

Back in Nov, we voiced our concerns about this feature when it was in beta and I'm wondering if there's a way buyers can turn this off (as well as any other notification from Fiverr about buying suggestions). They are spammy and buyers should be able to set their preferences on how much spam they want from Fiverr.

Maybe a checkbox stating "Actively looking for..." and a dropdown menu of services? If I'm not actively looking, I don't want the messages. 

11 minutes ago, melanielm said:

Ones who bought the same type of service in the past or searched for it at all? Adjacent service buyers? (e.g., Someone who buys book ghostwriting receives ads for book cover design)

I've seen advertisements/notifications for all three. I get notifications for the services I've purchased in the past. Also for things that I've searched for (mostly forum-related, to help other sellers). And, after placing an order, I immediately get a notification of adjacent services that are relevant to what I've just purchased.

• Like 11
  • Up 4

13 minutes ago, vickieito said:

buyers should be able to set their preferences on how much spam they want from Fiverr.

True, but I'd rather they first find a way to opt out of the following spam, which makes me no money.

Hi Dear, give me job.

Hi, Can you look at my gig and advices me?

Hi, I get no sales, do you need something done?

Hi, Blah, Blah, Blah.

The sponsored messages are clearly the lesser evil. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newsmike said:

True, but I'd rather they first find a way to opt out of the following spam, which makes me no money.

Hi Dear, give me job.

Hi, Can you look at my gig and advices me?

Hi, I get no sales, do you need something done?

Hi, Blah, Blah, Blah.

The sponsored messages are clearly the lesser evil. 

I had to put in a help desk ticket for a new seller who started contacting me last year in January, when I was a new seller. He asked for work and I told him to publish a gig (which he still hasn't done). He has been messaging me and I have been responding and marking him as spam (or blocking from my phone). For some reason, he could still message me, even though he showed up as a blocked account. However, Fiverr quickly closed my ticket by shutting down his account. So I guess they are taking this kind of spam seriously.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Briefs were supposed to be relevant. And well....

Was going to say, I hope the definition of 'relevant' is not about the same as for briefs, or many buyers might not be amused, haha.

How it works for buyers

1. Targeted buyers will see the Ad as a “Contact Card” within their conversation list.
    When a buyer clicks on your Contact Card via the Inbox Ad, it will take them to a conversation where they will see a relevant Gig that won the placement through the auction mechanism.

To *a* conversation, and *a* relevant Gig, when they click *your* Contact Card? Not to a conversation window with *you*/relevant Gig *of yours*? Do I need more coffee, or is this somewhat weird? Or maybe it only sounds somewhat weird? It's not another version of like when your Gig made people interested enough to click and scroll down your Gig description page, they'll get shown similar Gigs by other sellers, is it?

• Like 13

fiber plz allow us to buy banner ads on other people's gigs and directly on their gig images and profile pics

oh wait another idea from me fiber plz listen. unskippable ads on gig videos plz!!

no no wait again another one!!! we need ads on deliveries too. when buyers accept they will need to watch a gig video before they can download

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 13
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, catwriter said:

Err, isn't that spam?

I believe it is spam - just sponsored by Fiverr, but the same type of unsolicited contact as spam. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck - it's a duck. This walks and quacks like spam, so - it's spam.

I'm not a big fan of this initiative. And as indicated earlier, if buyers currently have no way to turn off these message - that's not good. If sellers can have Promoted gigs but without the option to turn of Inbox messages - that's not good.

Edited by danno1950
  • Like 19

3 hours ago, melanielm said:

I wonder how they define 'relevant buyers.' Ones who bought the same type of service in the past or searched for it at all? Adjacent service buyers? (e.g., Someone who buys book ghostwriting receives ads for book cover design)

Relevant =  the most expensive based on their purchases (most likely)

• Like 15

Every now and then, Fiverr will send me an email based on my recent searches. Ex, the title will be "Looking for fantasy writing?" because I was looking for fantasy writing, and then give me four gigs it thinks would work for that. The fantasy writing email I received has "I will do technical cybersecurity research writing and reports", "I will illustrate an original medieval fantasy character", "I will write your fantasy short story", and "I will write fanfiction or original fiction for you".

I expect this new option will have the same level of match accuracy.

• Like 13
  • Up 1

From the Fiverr TOS, updated January 2023:

Phishing and Spam - Members’ security is a top priority. Any attempts to publish or send malicious content with the intent to compromise another member’s account or computer environment is strictly prohibited. Please respect our members privacy by not contacting them with offers, questions, suggestions or anything which is not directly related to their Gigs or orders.

This appears to be all Fiverr says about spamming, unless I missed something elsewhere in the TOS.

Webster: Spam: unsolicited usually commercial messages (such as emails, text messages, or Internet postings) sent to a large number of recipients or posted in a large number of places.

It just doesn't make sense to me how Fiverr can violate it's own stated respect for the privacy of members (and its updated TOS) by sending buyers Promoted Gig Ads in a user's inbox. 

• Like 11
  • Up 5

9 hours ago, newsmike said:

Understood. But I suppose Fiverr gets to decide in their world. He who writes the TOS...   BTW, maybe coincidence but I got 2 promoted orders since they launched it this morning.

Did you have to pay for this? Is it random?

Thanks!

• Like 10

9 hours ago, vickieito said:

I had to put in a help desk ticket for a new seller who started contacting me last year in January, when I was a new seller. He asked for work and I told him to publish a gig (which he still hasn't done). He has been messaging me and I have been responding and marking him as spam (or blocking from my phone). For some reason, he could still message me, even though he showed up as a blocked account. However, Fiverr quickly closed my ticket by shutting down his account. So I guess they are taking this kind of spam seriously.

I've been getting a lot of spam that starts with "We are hiring X" and ending with Contact X @TeLeGrAm! Fiverr is really quick at shutting those down too!

• Like 11

3 hours ago, newsmike said:

Yes you pay for it. 

Okay, thank you! Is it available to level one sellers because I haven't seen that option. Sorry, I haven't really been super active on the site the last couple of years so I'm still trying to catch up on all of the new features and what's changed since I've been active on here last.

I appreciate your response!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1