What video/board games have you been playing recently?

katakatica

Welp, my last 1.5 months have vanished. LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom was a BLAST! I'm still doing side quests (at a much slower pace), but I've beat the main story. 

The plot had some great twists, the new animations and enemies were great, the music fantastic, the characters very good, the references WHEE, and the aesthetics so, so fitting!

About the only issue I have is with what this entry contributes (contradicts) to the overarching lore of the LoZ franchise (at least, what I understand of it). BUT, now that I've beat the game, I can go watch videos without worrying about major spoilers! And that includes fan theories on the new lore and how it does ir does not fit.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

The plot had some great twists, the new animations and enemies were great, the music fantastic, the characters very good, the references WHEE, and the aesthetics so, so fitting!

As you might recall from our Chambara discussion a year ago, I also have a Switch, and I love RPGs on my computer. I got the last Zelda, not this new one, but I am a bit afraid it will eat up a lot of time.

Are you playing on TV or you focus more on portability? Just trying to figure out which is the better way to start. I never played any Zelda..

• Like 8
  • Up 1

7 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Are you playing on TV or you focus more on portability? Just trying to figure out which is the better way to start. I never played any Zelda..

Playing on TV, synced with a classic-style controler. I've not tried the portable functionality the switch offers, so I don't have an opinion on which is better.

10 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

but I am a bit afraid it will eat up a lot of time.

I'll admit, I use my alarm clock app to help me put the game down. Breath of the Wild is really good, but it is indeed LONG, and sometimes difficult to find good player-rest points, as there's almost always more to do or discover. 

19 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I never played any Zelda.

BotW and TotK are both very different from all (but one) of the other games in the series, inthat they are not required to be played linearly and/or that the puzzle-solving factor is greatly diminished. Some fans will debate these departure from "the Zelda formula", but most agree that the story and mechanics make the games count. 

• Like 9
  • Congrats! 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, imagination7413 said:

I'll admit, I use my alarm clock app to help me put the game down. Breath of the Wild is really good, but it is indeed LONG, and sometimes difficult to find good player-rest points, as there's almost always more to do or discover. 

Well I mostly play RPGs but I started playing less of those the past few years due to how long some of them are. I also play on PC exclusively so for me a console RPG would be something new. I already got BOTW so might as well try it, and I will revert with some personal impressions.

• Like 8
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

21 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Playing on TV, synced with a classic-style controler. I've not tried the portable functionality the switch offers, so I don't have an opinion on which is better.

BotW and TotK are both very different from all (but one) of the other games in the series, inthat they are not required to be played linearly and/or that the puzzle-solving factor is greatly diminished. Some fans will debate these departure from "the Zelda formula", but most agree that the story and mechanics make the games count. 

We ended up starting with BotW since my partner had it, just never got around to playing it. I'm honestly glad we started playing right before we go on vacation because I can see half of the summer being spent just playing! 

I haven't played any of the other games much (maybe a few hours of the Ocarina of Time on an emulator as a teen lol) so I have little to compare it to but I'm honestly shocked at how addictive the game has been. 

Likely TotK will be next but I'm super curious to how it will be, I've mostly heard good about it so far as well. I'm curious to see if we will use the switch while travelling (we'll see on Friday!) but I think if for anything it'll be good to have on trains / flights. 

• Like 10
  • Congrats! 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:33 AM, katakatica said:

We ended up starting with BotW since my partner had it, just never got around to playing it. [...]

Likely TotK will be next but I'm super curious to how it will be, I've mostly heard good about it so far as well.

Play BotW before TotK, for sure. There are some quality-of-life improvements that were changed in TotK, that it might make it hard to go back to BotW, or to play them in reverse order. 

• Like 9
  • Up 1

Zelda addicted here!

Playing Tears of the Kingdom right now.

We also have a lot of Amazing board game (like Nemesis, Starquest, Faceless, Carnival Zombie, etc), but with two little Kids they are impossible ti play.

At best we can play at Magic!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jasim2k9k said:

I think, rubik's cube is one the greatest puzzles. Who can solve it?

And how was the feeling when you abled to solve it first time?

I could do 3x3 and 4x4 back in 2015/16.

It was quite a relief finishing it the first time in several weeks 😅

• Like 6
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2