What video/board games have you been playing recently?

katakatica

16 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

Once I got over my fear of the canibals it ended up being quite peaceful

We ended up playing The Quarry (which came out like, weeks back maybe) and I feel that was traumatizing enough for me, even though the gameplay itself isn't 'hard'. The Forest looks... interesting though, to be honest!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And here it is - the thread I feel like people who aren't as jittery and always playing new stuff like me perhaps dread! It's time for a check-in once more! So... what are you playing these days? With fall knocking on our doors, it feels like board game season is rightfully about to being! Have you brought out the games yet? 

We actually did an escape room today which was quite good, it had lots of stuff with music which was very interesting. 

As for actual games, I discovered that I can be good at bluffing/deduction games! I absolutely recommend Sheriff of Nottingham, it was a blast 😄

For video games, I just finished my second playthrough of this gem: 

image.png.762fc0ce45356221140c8f8acd467da0.png

I loved it, though it was buggy here and there, but my game only truly broke once (and it was a brand new save.) 

I also finally finished

image.png.879532ac7763956d6ff71f3c08bd95d2.png

and I cannot WAIT for the sequel! I'm so excited. 
Now... here is my dilemma. 

I.. truly was just browsing the XBOX store (since I still have the pass). Normally, I don't get the games that are about to leave because... I'm stingy like that. But I was like, 'eh, there's this game that looks okay, might as well try before committing to the new Disney game.

I think you guys can sort of guess what happened. 

I'm not sure what it is about it, but so far (okay, few levels in) I LOVE

image.png.ad70f80b620667dc97e86464a91006a8.png

So now I'll be buying it. Which is... fine normally, because it's not that expensive, but it's September and I've been hoping to get

image.png.575d910bd5e848e8e6be095284f2cf0a.png and image.png.5755f69a4e32c4240d8f6ae3f4dead66.png already.

And all the other cosy games coming out basically back to back... 

So... I guess I'll be sort of busy playing in my free time this month 😄
I'd love to hear what you all are splurging on or even revisiting in the fall (and...honestly, would love tips for cosy games, though I feel like that's a backhole I'm not 100% sure I wanna fall into right now.) I definitely find myself playing more indie stuff these days, which, makes sense (I work with indie studios mostly, haven't had any huge messages from big companies yet, though...tbh, not mad about it that much) so I feel like it's only normal 😄

Something fun/gaming-related that's happening also is that tomorrow, I'll get my desk - which means I'll get to set up my laptop AND an extra screen finally 😄 I'm getting a bunch of trinkets to go with it as well so honestly can't wait to play these gems from a somewhat cosier spot 😄

But yeah, happy fall, and I hope that you'll all have some time to relax/have fun!

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 29
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

The Quarry.

How are you finding it? We loved it, but there were some bits that weren't so intuitive (lost a ton of clues, especially in the very beginning.) I've been wanting to replay some old pokémon games but I just haven't gotten to them yet XD 

Have you played the Binding of Isaac, by the way? (I mean, okay, most people have but) I've been sort of torn on getting it, but like, I already have way too much to play xD I've been into rougelikes lately though.

• Like 30
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, katakatica said:

How are you finding it? We loved it, but there were some bits that weren't so intuitive (lost a ton of clues, especially in the very beginning.) I've been wanting to replay some old pokémon games but I just haven't gotten to them yet XD 

Just got my Switch OLED this summer and even if I am a PC gamer I do like it, especially the workout and sports stuff.

Regarding Quarry, I just started it, just played an hour, and it already crashed once... But overall the story is interesting, and I find it very good espeically to play a little during the evening/night after finishing work. Because it's more or less an interactive movie and I like that about it.

29 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Have you played the Binding of Isaac, by the way? (I mean, okay, most people have but) I've been sort of torn on getting it, but like, I already have way too much to play xD I've been into rougelikes lately though.

I like roguelites, and I was eyeing Cult of the Lamb, it's quite interesting and I wanted it for the Switch, seems like a much better fit there. But.. waiting for a discount for it. I played Isaac, of course. I like the play, not the subject matter, but it is very fun. 

If you are into roguelites, I recommend:

Dead Cells

Hades

Enter the Gungeon

Risk of Rain 2

Gunfire Reborn

Skul

Roboquest

Undermine

Curse of the Dead Gods

• Like 22
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Regarding Quarry, I just started it, just played an hour, and it already crashed once... But overall the story is interesting, and I find it very good espeically to play a little during the evening/night after finishing work. Because it's more or less an interactive movie and I like that about it.

52 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I think we got like, one crash as well but to be honest that's much less than Cult of the Lamb, so 😄 We did sort of play it through a sick weekend - basically hyperfixated on it and yeah 😄 But it is basically a slightly more interactive movie 😄

I've actually played quite a few of those! Skul I absolutely adored, it was really what got me into the genre I think, though the first one I tried was Dead Cells (which at the time, I found too difficult.) I'm sort of thinking of trying it again, though. Hades I haven't gotten to the true ending yet but sometimes when I'm mad at the world it's nice to go in and slash at stuff lol I'm not sure if I liked Curse of the Dead Gods, though I don't think I gave it much of a try. 

I've been wanting a Switch, mostly for visual novel purposes, but there's always something else to buy! (like.. Hollow Knight plushies.) My Hornet hasn't arrived yet, but I honestly can't wait. 

With Halloween and all coming I'm thinking of revisiting Little Witch of the Woods - I'm fairly certain that they've made some upgrades, so I'd love to see it. But I think there's another witchy thing coming out (which..really, just feeds into my issue of getting too many games!)

• Like 22
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, katakatica said:

I've been wanting a Switch, mostly for visual novel purposes, but there's always something else to buy! (like.. Hollow Knight plushies.) My Hornet hasn't arrived yet, but I honestly can't wait. 

I got it mostly for the workout stuff which is great, Switch Sports is nice, and platformers in particular are amazing. Plus things like Zelda and Mario Oddysey are very fun too. 

I played or at least tried all the roguelites above, and I can recommend some more. But now everyone is with Cult of Lamb, I will play it eventually but now I am waiting for the Gotham Knights game and other stuff like that. 

• Like 21
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was a BilLiOnAiRe (🥲) on Virtual City with a lot of property and loyal citizens so I'll be revisiting that one. Probably the closest I'll ever be to politics.

I'll try to play some racing games too like Blur and Asphalt even though I keep ruining my gamepads due to frustration.😂

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Not sure if there's a mobile game named like that or if it's the BLUR from a decade ago. I enjoyed that one quite a bit. Asphalt is filled with too many microtransactions for me, same for most mobile games in my case.

That's the one. A friend of mine gifted me his system years ago and the game was already on it. I've not been able to get over it. I have it installed on every computer I've used.😅

The microtransactions are everywhere. I try to avoid them as well and just settle for strategic games on my mobile. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, favourik said:

That's the one. A friend of mine gifted me his system years ago and the game was already on it. I've not been able to get over it. I have it installed on every computer I've used.😅

That is a very good pick. I think I have Blur on Steam, didn't fire it in quite some time. I am preparing to play NFS Heat again, I played when it came out but was very busy with work and ended up only 25% complete. I know there is a new NFS coming in a few months. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I hope that "Cult of Lamb" game has lots of "Lamb of God" references hidden inside. Or i will lose respect to the designers of that game. So many wasted opportunities.

Well, for games; not exactly what we are talking about i guess but, my friend has given me a gift of a professional dart thing. That thing is addictive specially when my friends come over with some whiskey bottles.

We didint count any points or scores, each round winner gets the bigger title. And Titles were the famous musicians.

Last game we had lasted around 3 - 4 hours. We were 4 people, at the end of the night, i was ranked "Elton John" Best one was "Michael Jackson" another rank was "AC/DC" and the loser was a lame-a** singer from turkey named "Ciguli" 

So if you are the defending champion and lose, you will lose your "Michael Jackson" title and become "Ciguli" 

It goes great with alcohol. Altough my wall has many holes in it now.

OH! And i started this mobile game called "magic survival" You are a little wizard figure which constantly gets swarmed by virus looking monsters. You kill them, level up, learn new spells. Amazing. No payment stuff, no diamond buying random chest loots. Its perfect. You get to arrange your inventory and magic arsenal to make a better build, thus survive for more. 

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ozan_erdi said:

We didint count any points or scores, each round winner gets the bigger title. And Titles were the famous musicians.

I love that! We don't have enough space for darts (maybe could try in the hall but... not a great setting) but I'd love to play something like that from time to time - might actually see if friends wanna go to the arcade/bar thing near-ish that I went to for my birthday. I'm assuming that with the weather getting worse, there'll be less tourists... 😄 We loved it but the place itself was very crowded and some games were broken lol 

I'm not playing anything on mobile right now - sometimes get into those 'alchemy' games (where you create new elements. or some visual novels but I don't like paying extra lol 

Genshin had me playing for a solid year, though, but then I got too bored with it (and also switched to PC, so!) I'm getting my second screen tomorrow (well, the screen we have, we need the cables lol) and honestly I'm already scared of how much time I'll spend just playing once I have it 😄

(PS.: I feel like if you had fun while playing darts with the titles and stuff, Sheriff of Nottingham could turn into a ridiculously fun 'race' for you guys! We didn't do any drinking with it but I'm sure other rules can be added to make it even more fun lol) 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Also, super excited that the LoZ BotW sequel has an official title and release date.

I saw that, I am a new Switch owner since July so I didn't even play the first one yet. However, I will try to finish until the new one comes out. I guess I still have 8-9 months 🙂

• Like 25
  • Up 1

3 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I am a new Switch owner

Welcome to the Switch world!! I'm not familiar with the Nintendo local market there but I've found out in Asia and America the 2nd hand market is pretty good. You'll get a lot of good titles for cheap!!! Get the physical copies because resell prices stay at the same price point even after a while especially if the title is popular (BOTW, Pokemon, Mariokart, etc) 🙂

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, theratypist said:

Welcome to the Switch world!! I'm not familiar with the Nintendo local market there but I've found out in Asia and America the 2nd hand market is pretty good. You'll get a lot of good titles for cheap!!! Get the physical copies because resell prices stay at the same price point even after a while especially if the title is popular (BOTW, Pokemon, Mariokart, etc) 🙂

In Europe the second hand market for Switch games is not worth it. Generally they are close to the regular price, and I usually prefer digital. I have BOTW, Mario Kart and most of the best titles, no Pokemon though, I never played Pokemon...

• Like 24
  • Up 1

41 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

no Pokemon though, I never played Pokemon

If you've played one, you've played them all. But, I feel most gamers would enjoy playing at least one.
It would be a pretty big debate though as to which one would be the best one. I'm not sure if any of the Switch era ones are good. Most of the DS era ones are (I racked up over two million steps in real life playing Soul Silver with the Pokewalker. I wish they did that for more games.).

• Like 21
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, moikchap said:

I'm not sure if any of the Switch era ones are goo

Well I only have a Switch and not the older consoles so... Most likely I should wait for the new ones. Might as well, right? I could get Arcaeus but I heard it's very different and not the ideal first game.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1