What video/board games have you been playing recently?

katakatica

I love playing sandbox games, and games where you just chill, decorate and build stuff! Minecraft, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Stardew Valley... Recently I've been playing No Man's Sky and it is a really fun sandbox game! They really worked hard to make the game good and until now it still has more new updates 😄 

I just have to remember that I have priorities too... I get carried away playing video games too much ;w;

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

I love playing sandbox games, and games where you just chill, decorate and build stuff! Minecraft, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Stardew Valley... Recently I've been playing No Man's Sky and it is a really fun sandbox game! They really worked hard to make the game good and until now it still has more new updates 😄 

I'm slowly getting into Stardew Valley - definitely nice and relaxing, though it's been a bit since I've played but might get back to it. Games also technically count as research for me which makes it... easy to play a lot tbh!

I think what I like sometimes is when a game doesn't need much 'brains' - which is why I like rougelike as well as you just go and smash enemies haha. 

I might check No Man's Sky out! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, katakatica said:

I might check No Man's Sky out! 

Enjoy it. Some of us can also join you, depending on the platform, as you can play with friends here. 

You may also want to check Starfield when it comes out in 2023, a similar premise, but it should also have a story, leveling and other systems that are lacking in No Man's Sky.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Still playing Oxygen Not Included, still at a very slow pace. Other things still are given priority. (Though I did play some Slay The Spire last week, and some Shapez the week before that.)

On 5/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, vickiespencer said:

I will check back to see what you suggest.

I've thought about it off and on for the last month, and to be completely honest, I'm somewhat torn. I really would like to find/recommend something you'd enjoy, but at the same time, I don't want to see you caught in/by the massive time-sink that some games can turn into. Even something as simple as Minesweeper can easily steal a half-hour. 

image.png.976adf32e171b7e4c86f71039154925f.png

I'll give it some more thought, and I might come up with something, but I also don't want to recommend something I've not played before myself.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

With the weather a bit too hot to go out during the day (and with skin that is paler than the Cullens' from Twilight...) I've been spending more of my free time inside. (that being said, the Swedish heat is still not that bad, but...)

So I felt like asking around again since it's been a while!

I've just downloaded Stray (okay, I got it the moment it came out!)It's ADORABLE but also way trickier than I thought though I haven't gotten super far just yet! I've been playing Monster Sanctuary (it's free because game pass!) as well, I'm quite close to the end but... still losing quite often ha. 

After seeing by bf play Unsighted, I realized that I'll likely fall down that rabbithole as well - the graphics look awesome and just in general I love the story (well, what I know about it so far.) 

And... Just a few minutes ago, I realized that As Dusk Falls is out for the game pass as well - it looks pretty good though I haven't done much research on it! 

Now, for the last thing - I had the pleasure to try out Blood on the Clocktower (the board game) recently with some friends and... I love it! We don't have it unfortunately but I'm hoping that it'll be possible to get it sometime soon (it's like Werewolf/Secret Bad Guy (okay, not the real name but I don't think the system liked the real title...) but way bigger with up to 20 players/different roles for every player. I was the bad guy (the demon) in our second playthrough and it was ridiculous - fooled everyone by pretending to be sleepy. The only issue is that I won't be able to play the same way again haha.)

Anyway, that is my game rant for now - have you played any of these? What are you hooked on recently?

image.png.102ed3f6f0c5f0a4ae0ea914f17edabb.pngimage.png.22f9a42c82acb67691ed4489bf742c8b.pngimage.png.295d5b21cae01119ee92824cea83ffef.pngimage.png.bc5f5d8c9a65e779d376b9cfb5ac7c4d.png

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Still avoiding Elden Ring i see. At least you should give a try to Little Nightmares and Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. I have a feeling that you'll like them.

I am watching Stray, one of my favorite youtube guy playing it. It looks cool. But its really tense for me because i dont want kitties get sad. Other than that i havent been playing anything new on digital. Im waiting for the new God of War and Hellblade 2

BUT:

Me and my friends started a new D&D game. Looking forward to those. However i will not be playing regularly as i am playing the evil guy. A cult leader who aims to bring down the current kingdom to build a new one devoted to old gods. And the other "good" players are going to try and stop me (kill me, most likely)

Btw, i love your posts. Always a good change of atmosphere.

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ozan_erdi said:

Me and my friends started a new D&D game

I literally forgot the most important part (no, I have NOT played Elden Ring still... tho I'll definitely try the other two games!)
I actually played my first D&D oneshot a few weeks back and it was as chaotic as awesome. I played an elf who was actually a vampire. I'll be joining my first campaign in a few months I think but I can't play her again as there's no vampires in the world we'll be playing. Kind of a bummer. 

I also got a bunch of solo/not solo journalling and tabletop games for free from some itch.io bundles and I kind of want to figure out a few to run/play as they sound awesome. 

I'm kind of curious about playing as an evil character though to be honest - I didn't even think that you can play a villain as a 'regular' player!

(also thanks. I'm often a bit worried people might get annoyed but I feel like these posts are more fun than nothing tbh.)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Its easier to keep the players on the same side. You can usually play opposing characters/teams but it becomes too complex and need too much dedication, maybe even different sessions for different sides, so the other players wont know what you are doing. But rarely, you can be the main antagonist.

Its the good part of those games. There are no limits.

33 minutes ago, katakatica said:

(also thanks. I'm often a bit worried people might get annoyed but I feel like these posts are more fun than nothing tbh.)

Are you kidding me? I look forward for your out of freelance topics. Im sure there are others feel the same, we already have a steady supply of "how to get rank" posts

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 24
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ozan_erdi said:

Its the good part of those games. There are no limits.

It's crazy how much time and effort go into planning them, to be honest. Just for the oneshot we did, there was just... so much STUFF.  (and so many puzzles ha.) 

I really liked playing a character that's hiding something though I think next time I'll make my character way more dramatic - I was honestly just understanding how the game itself worked. 

Honestly I'd also prefer more posts like this but... I also realise that successful sellers also have way more to think about than just being on here (which is great, tbh.)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to play the RE 2 remake, which I finished several times back in the day, bit for some reason I noped out of it like 5 minutes in. Maybe I am not as interested in scaring the crap out of me 20 years later.

Downloading stray right now. 🙂

• Like 23
  • Up 1

15 hours ago, frank_d said:

I love it! Though it does feel a lot darker than I thought initially but in a somewhat pleasant way. I know there's another similar-ish CO-OP game that's coming out, something with a baby deer and fox or something? (maybe wolf cub) but I haven't heard any news of it in a bit. 

I remember as a tween/teen I loved playing Amnesia (the one that loads of youtubers played) and tried not to get spooked. Now I'd get way more scared, so I can relate to not wanting to play pure horror all that much anymore!

15 hours ago, mateusbl said:

I would like to play Stray, but I still playing Ghost of Tsushima a masterpiece.

Just searched it up a bit on wiki it looks really good (though I'd fail a lot ha!)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, frank_d said:

I just finished Stray, I am sure you will have a blast, especially if you like cats. 

Regarding Resident Evil, they are remaking the 4th one, so that should be interesting.

When it comes to my list for August, I am going to play The Quarry, Guardians of the Galaxy (postponed it due to being quite busy), the Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga and most likely do some more Crusader Kings 3 runs. 

• Like 21
  • Up 1

17 minutes ago, corsogr said:

Captain obvious, thank you. 🙂

Well it's not obvious unless you know it. You said it's offered for free, it's not. A key giveaway which you add to your account and keep forever is free. I am not trying to start a discussion here, I am just not ok with people saying that PS Plus or Xbox GamePass games are added for free. It's not free if it comes with a fee attached to it, right? 🙂 

• Like 20
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

It's not free if it comes with a fee attached to it, right? 🙂 

I'm guilty of calling gamepass 'free' myself, though I've tricked myself with it a few times (so I KNOW it's very NOT free.) I saw some friends play Celeste and really wanted to try it - had it installed but haven't gotten far in it... of course it was off the pass already!
(that being said, what I pay for gamepass to me is still close to 'free' in the sense that I am able to play quite a few games and 'research' a lot. 

3 hours ago, corsogr said:

I never thought a game with the protagonist being a CAT could be so phenomenally good. I’m literally 20/30 minutes into the game and I just had to tell people how good it

It's genuinely good - not just in an 'aw, cute way' (which is what I expected.

That being said, I thought I'd be done with it by now and I'm maybe halfway so!

• Like 20
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 1

54 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I saw some friends play Celeste and really wanted to try it

Over the last week, I watched a GDQ 'Bingo Lockout' top 8 of a tournament playoff, and wow are speedrunners crazy good. 

As for board games, I recently discovered a YouTube channel that gets ppl together to live-play some tabletop games. (Yes, there are more than one channel that does this, but I'm not sure I've seen this group play enough to outright recommend the channel yet.)

I like watching lets-plays while eating.

As for what I'm playing... still Oxygen Not Included... I was hoping to move on, but my colony nearly collapsed from a sudden lack of water, and a spiral that I'm only now getting it stabilized again. (I was SO close to reaching endgame before I had to abort for sudden urgent rescue of my Dupes.)

Edited by imagination7413
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Oxygen Not Included.

Hmm, it looks interesting. The only thing I am affraid with games like these is they require a LOT of micromanagementand that might remove some of the fun, at least for me. I know some people are into this kind of stuff 🙂

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Hmm, it looks interesting. 

It can be a lot of fun. It's clear that the Klei (the Developer) team put a LOT of work and personality into the mechanics. The animation in particular is top notch. The 12 principles of animation can sometimes be tricky to implement into games, but this game really nails them in small subtle ways. Same for the 'lore'. There's nothing outright that states 'this is what happened and this is why you are where you are', but there are SO many little clues.

29 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

The only thing I am afraid with games like these is they require a LOT of micromanagement and that might remove some of the fun, at least for me. I know some people are into this kind of stuff 🙂

Yeah, resource-management games aren't for everyone. This one has a decent-sized, dedicated fan-base, and plenty of tutorials, including a lot of 'set-it-and-forget-it' builds that can carry new players far enough to see most of the interesting content. Plus, it does have a sand-box mode, so 'free-play' is an option if you just want to mess with building stuff (or just to watch the pretty animations) without worrying about keeping a colony alive.

---

(@ vickiespencer, if you've stumbled on this topic, no I haven't forgotten the quest I made in the last games topic. It's just turning out a LOT harder than I thought.)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1