Buyer only speaks spanish! Should I cancel?

misscrystal

You don’t need to cancel the order.

You can use Google translate to communicate with anyone in another language since it’s not a verbal communication

That’s a poor suggestion.

As I and many people above have explained, Fiverr doesn’t endorse doing such, the nature of the order requires both sides to have a common fluent language, and things can so easily be lost in translation.

Another option that could work if Google Translate won’t is to get the delivery text translated through an English->Spanish gig (assuming it’s only in English). That won’t work for the requirements section (since Fiverr doesn’t allow multiple languages there - maybe there should be an option for it) or for any questions the buyer might ask if they ask them in Spanish. Maybe the OP could give an English reply and maybe a Google Translate Spanish version of the reply if the question was asked in Spanish and the buyer won’t ask in English (unless another gig could be used for that but that would be more expensive) - or just always reply just in English.

I’ve received technical requirements in German, Spanish, French, Italian — you name it. Often as screenshots. It’s like a “tourist syndrome” when people expect foreigners to understand them when they speak their own language to them, but very loudly and slowly.

I had a buyer sending me revisions about “law enforcement” and “slim officer” (completely unrelated to the project) and when I was about to explode, it turned out it he wanted a thicker font with wide kerning and was just using Google translate to express it. Google translate has just turned our interaction into me wasting time trying to figure out what they’ve meant and if they were threatening me.

I’ve received technical requirements in German, Spanish, French, Italian — you name it. Often as screenshots. It’s like a “tourist syndrome” when people expect foreigners to understand them when they speak their own language to them, but very loudly and slowly.

I had a buyer sending me revisions about “law enforcement” and “slim officer” (completely unrelated to the project) and when I was about to explode, it turned out it he wanted a thicker font with wide kerning and was just using Google translate to express it. Google translate has just turned our interaction into me wasting time trying to figure out what they’ve meant and if they were threatening me.

You could also try translators like Bing Translator when Google Translate doesn’t give clear translations and see if they’re any better.

for everyone saying to use Google translate. Its never going to work. it’s going to end in tears. It may work for very basic communication, but if the buyer only communicates in Spanish you can be pretty certain they are going to expect their order to be delivered in Spanish as well and you can guess what will happen then.

for everyone saying to use Google translate. Its never going to work. it’s going to end in tears. It may work for very basic communication, but if the buyer only communicates in Spanish you can be pretty certain they are going to expect their order to be delivered in Spanish as well and you can guess what will happen then.

they are going to expect their order to be delivered in Spanish as well and you can guess what will happen then.

One mis-translated word could turn her boyfriend into a chimp. 🐵 It’s a 1 star review waiting to happen.

Hey , okay so once i had the same situation , buyer was only speaking Spanish so i used google translator but as it is risky as everyone is talking here that one wrong word can change all the meaning of sentence so in the very first message i wrote that i do not speak Spanish and i am using google translator so if you found any wrong or suspected word, pardon me as i am using google translator to communicate with you and that is not 100% accurate. So he was happy and agreed for that and that order was completed smoothly.But here in your case it looks like more than one red flags so i do not think that google is the option for that,Unless you think maybe it can be done like i did and if you see that way it can be done. Otherwise i do not think cancelling order is a bad option either. Its just my opinion and you know the whole situation and buyer’s behaviour better than me.

they are going to expect their order to be delivered in Spanish as well and you can guess what will happen then.

One mis-translated word could turn her boyfriend into a chimp. 🐵 It’s a 1 star review waiting to happen.

So why not use a translation gig for the delivered text and still profit if the translation of the delivered text is very important?

So why not use a translation gig for the delivered text and still profit if the translation of the delivered text is very important?

That’s way too much hassle. Middlemanning things is not a good business strategy and often leads to more problems. Buyer needs to find a seller who speaks Spanish or find a way to communicate in English. It’s not the seller’s job to create more moving parts and problems for themselves when it’s the buyer who is misusing the service.

Archived